• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New to me, ST4 1332

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
I guess this happened because I've been drinking the cheap store brand ORANGE sugar drink.

5313757ad651f91e73699f77df29ea75.jpg

3a5d0fee87dfea464c365921f0ec19d3.jpg

1158ed002588dc3cd98d6bde074d539f.jpg

0116becdbdad877a09d2e0b74122147f.jpg

This was the one listed quite a few months ago on the forum and Fairbanks Craigslist. Took a week and $1500 to get it barged from Anchorage to Seattle.

Don was correct in his observation about it being a hunting rig, not a whole lot to work with here but hey, it runs and I needed another project.

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
I guess this happened because I've been drinking the cheap store brand ORANGE sugar drink.

5313757ad651f91e73699f77df29ea75.jpg

3a5d0fee87dfea464c365921f0ec19d3.jpg

1158ed002588dc3cd98d6bde074d539f.jpg

0116becdbdad877a09d2e0b74122147f.jpg

This was the one listed quite a few months ago on the forum and Fairbanks Craigslist. Took a week and $1500 to get it barged from Anchorage to Seattle.

Don was correct in his observation about it being a hunting rig, not a whole lot to work with here but hey, it runs and I needed another project.

Here is a picture that is representative of all of the bushings in the running gear. Axles have worn through the bushings and into the outer tubes. Of the 12 small tires I was comfortable keeping 3 of them.

f959c92aeaabbb21138e512fd5ce4ad0.jpg

I was disappointed in the fabricated support for the axle tube for the bogey wheels. Way too much material and welds to cut it out so I will leave as is for now.

8d701adc70f4b722659ea3d5aebbc8a3.jpg

Since there was nothing left to put new bushings into I fabricated new walking beams, axle tubes, bushings, and axles.

fa0791b7c02a731e1c21a23506d3b1af.jpg

Found some oil impregnated UHMW material I will give a try for the bushings.

342eadbb94833f0c4ab5fac911310190.jpg

Ordered up 8 of the continental solid forklift tires to use for the bogeys and will use a couple of the Snow Trac slicks.

478bb80864417098f9cb57a947682f2e.jpg

028e6f2fe1b52bbcee08e9a0b4479640.jpg

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
rob
I see some interesting changes and may adapt them to mine. it also has many st4b parts or maybe just a later model I see from the inside brakes and big wheel.it looks like the 1200cc engine and has the crank nut on it. does it run ok?
be sure none of the bent edge guides have a burr that will scratch your new tires.
jim

Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Love to see another project but have we seen the 443 finished and running?

I guess it's all good. Can't spell sno trac without sno cat. We drop the extra r !

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You just can't get enough of that yellow paint! I got a yellow pick up truck you must have, it has a yellow engine in it too.

There is a whole nother world of yellow out there.

Attachments

• Challenger.jpg
    Challenger.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 521

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
Love to see another project but have we seen the 443 finished and running?

I guess it's all good. Can't spell sno trac without sno cat. We drop the extra r !

The 443 was taken to the point it could be reliable but the project is not done. Currently sitting on the top shelf waiting for me to get the transmission back into the Ridge Runner.

da481ea9b26e343640b8efb749e45110.jpg

7bd3f4d55859cdc4c6839423c9fef563.jpg

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
This week I would like to change the engine oil as well as the transaxle 'fluid' but the internet has left me scratching my head as to the correct fluids. Looking for recommendations from the other ST4 owners here on the forum.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like 2016 is the year of the equipment sheds, you, loggah, and me.

In my country the beam protruding from under the roof will collect rain and rot back under the structure. I break a sheet of light weight aluminum to a U shape and place on top to keep it dry.

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
Looks like 2016 is the year of the equipment sheds, you, loggah, and me.

In my country the beam protruding from under the roof will collect rain and rot back under the structure. I break a sheet of light weight aluminum to a U shape and place on top to keep it dry.

Yes, that has started already on mine, the plan was to cut them off and seal the ends. I have now realized that I need to add a couple more bays, should have seen that coming. I need to get out there and cover them up so that I can half-lap extension onto them next year.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Yup,you cant build a big enough shed!!!! this was taken before we started getting snow and i actually has a few more machines in it now !:biggrin::biggrin:

original.jpg

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
Nature doesn't like a. Vacuum,empty space in a barn / shop / garage is negtive usless space in our case the major hindrance in not letting nature have her way is cash on hand Credit limit what we can sell or borrow :yum:

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
Filled up the gas tank and ran the ST4 around the property to see how it does uphill, downhill, and side hill. Not sure if it was the condition of the snow or a common problem but the U-shaped grousers packed with snow and turned them into slick sliders. This wasn't a problem up or down hill but made it very tricky to get the nose pointed uphill when side hilling. I was impressed how well it climbed over snow moguls but you sure take a pounding when cresting the top an come down. Definitely a drawback compared to the Tucker's 4 tracks. Testing was cut short when it started gasping for fuel at the top of the hill and thought it was going to stall which would be a problem when you have no brakes.

It now appears that I have fuel tank that needs cleaning and a liner.

244dab7c614b4c7138760359eaa0768a.jpg

Speaking about brakes, I am left scratching my head on how the drum and bands work on this thing. What am I missing here? When the shoes are activated with foot pedal or the bands with the hand brake the 'fixed' portion rotates until the arm on the bottom hits something which in my case is either the aluminum belly pan or the muffler.

fed539f59c31209404892188ad896692.jpg

39ddcb2934f78409c2454f5890c6e8e5.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim that is the larger case on that rig notice generator mount and flat top fan housing. the fan housing is an aftermarket or industrial housing with no provisions for heater heater box air supply

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Speaking about brakes, I am left scratching my head on how the drum and bands work on this thing. What am I missing here? When the shoes are activated with foot pedal or the bands with the hand brake the 'fixed' portion rotates until the arm on the bottom hits something which in my case is either the aluminum belly pan or the muffler.

The OEM belly pan had a reinforced hole that the arm rested in. I will try to get pix of mine and post. I know there is pictures here of it, but the search engine isn't getting me the results I want.

CT

Sno-Surfer

Yes. There were two holes in the belly pan to hold those arms (and rotors) from turning. I lost my bell pan a couple of times out there and then you have to be careful with the brake with out it on or you'll mess up whatever it hits, usually the muffler.

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the responses, mine does not appear to have the original belly pan and the holes are beat out of round since it is aluminum. Either of you know if the master cylinder is available or what it is out of? The previous owner just said the brakes do not work and the pads look new. Both cables to the hand brake are broken so I need to find someone to make up a couple new ones.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=50377&page=9

and the next few pages have belly pan pix. you can see the reinforcement areas for the brake.

For what it's worth I went and installed a cross strut above the brakes when I did the disc brakes. I needed the body stabilization and after reading the horror stories of the brakes on with pan off, I decided to eliminate the issue.

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Mill666er

I need a pricture from the area in front of your ST4.

There are many ways to solve the problem with the brakes. ok

Nikos

Here are a few more pictures with the thin aluminum belly pan installed

09003f3859573e99c7aab62bf9eb403d.jpg

4d74f9452f9164f83f3a4df06acd221b.jpg

a371509b6d828c4da31d73dfb245d3fb.jpg

71520d062abd91d930abfbf149f5ab3d.jpg

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
Cleaned out the fuel tank, installed new fuel filter, plugs, and wires and took it for a run around the yard. Much more power now that it is getting fuel. #3 spark plug was cross threaded at some point and needed the ratchet to get it all of the way out. After an hour of messing around with it I was able to get it put back in straight.

Not great video but it was hard to film with the iPhone and shift gears.

https://youtu.be/HvBrNSKVlEI