• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Developed a new style of staining !!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I call it stain sanding . It helps to really spread a nice finish on whatever you are staining .I developed this technique after not getting the desired affect I wanted on some furniture I was building .
I sanded my new Tresle table , I am building , to a 320 grit .Then I stain it . I then take a air driven disc sander and start going over the freshly applied stain . You will go through some sand paper !!! What happens is the sanded stain shows every imperfection in the wood . I then continue sanding to get the desired results for the finish . A light brushing of another coat of stain is applied, wiped clean and allowed to dry . Followed by 3 coats of sprayed on clear finish . Sanding with 600 grit between coats and hand rubbed with super fine 0000 steel wool after the final coat .
I'll grab some pictures when it's all reassembled .

I probably have about 30 hours of time in the building and finish of the table and bench . The lumber is a local pine , kiln dried . I used 15 - 2"x6"x10' to completely build this table and bench . That works out at under $75 !!! Tables of this quality cost about $1800-$2000 to purchase in the furniture store !

Last edited:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds likeyou are busy now days!!!! best way I know to spend our days!!!!:clap:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Al, I am going to be building a bar in my house soon and plan to use some 3" Oak slabs from a tree we cut. I'm thinking this might provide an interesting look. Photo's will certainly help!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll be finished staining later today . Then I have to reassemble the tresle table . Some folks may not know that a true tresle table breaks down into 4 pieces . The table top , the 2 table supports and the cross piece that connects the two supports . It is usually done with wooden dowels that are hammered in place slots that hold everything together . I added a change and installed two hidden notches that lock in place . The table itself is quite large ( 8 feet) and heavy so by being able to break it down makes moving much easier. This was my first attempt at making one and I am quite happy with the results so far .
So later today before I apply the finish tomorrow , i'll post some pictures for ya :biggrin:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds like a swell project Al. Is this for the wife?

No , it is actually for the Fire job repair I did this past year . She (the owner) wanted something different and I felt she should have it . The poor girl lost her husband in a terrible accident in May and we (My wife & I) are just trying to help her get the home repaired as they both had always wanted . This will exact match her new kitchen . She has not seen it yet , but she has heard about it from others who I have let see it being built .

My wife says I am building one for her real soon :unsure:.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Can somebody go by and help (technically challenged) Al with his camera please...