• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac replacement BRONZE drive sprockets

nikos

Cidertom

Got time to drill and mount the new sprockets. They are thicker than the old ones. Not enough to be an issue though. But the nylocks barely have enough stud. Going to go through the mounts this weekend and check bearings etc.

Attachments

• Photo1335.jpg
    Photo1335.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 670

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cidertom

Got time to drill and mount the new sprockets. They are thicker than the old ones. Not enough to be an issue though. But the nylocks barely have enough stud. Going to go through the mounts this weekend and check bearings etc.

I have a set of them that thick.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
So are the thick ones due to copy of copy, or were there thick and thin ones from the factory? My originals said st 52, but so did the new ones.

Would seem to me the thicker the better. If they were steel, I would run a bead of wear material on them. But the bronze is intended to be the wear point from the looks of it.

Then again, I doubt with current usage, that it will be my problem again.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
This design did away with my biggest concern of the spokes. Have to see how it plays out. The solid disk might trap too much snow / ice though.

SnowTrac Hunter

Outer Tooth Diameter - 17-1/4" (17.25")
Outer Tooth Radius - 8-5/8" (8.625")

Base Diameter - 15-3/8" (15.375")
Base Radius - 7-11/16" (7.6875")

Tooth Center to Tooth Center - 3-7/8" minus (3.8708")(14 Teeth/Lug)
Tooth Tip Width - 3/4"
Space at Base - 2"

Tooth Degrees - 90*, 77.1428571*, 51.4285714*, 25.7142857

Mounting Hole Radius - 5-7/8"
Mounting Hole Size - 1/2"

Inner Hole Diameter - 10-1/4"
Inner Hole Radius - 5-1/8"

Circle Circumference - 54.19247"

Thickness - 1/2" to 1" UHMW depending on model.

Sorry it took forever to post finished dimensions. Snow Trac was low on my priority list this year.
Took about 3/4 day to router out seven sprockets when I finally got around to it.

Attachments

• Snow Trac Sprocket Dimensions w Inner Holes.jpg
    Snow Trac Sprocket Dimensions w Inner Holes.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 535
  • Completed Sprockets.jpg
    Completed Sprockets.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 576

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am in need of the two band sprokets. Any being made of available.

Doug

My attempt to copy the north pole sprockets is not up to an acceptable standard. they are thin and labor intensive to cast.. without the proper draft they freeze and warp. they work, but I would not want to sell anything this poor.

I can't afford to continue to R/D the copy of a copy idea.

I have started a simple plywood pattern using the data above. When I go back to the foundry it will be with a 2 pc pattern that can be production pressed (molded) reducing my cost.

Don't wait on me for sprockets.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Surfers are a here-now. I think Bombi1 had a pattern to cast the twoband as well, but you would need to contact him directly.

nwerring

Getting ready to try the new UHMW Sprocket. Looks ok, plenty of room left between the track rubber. The Sprocket is allmost twice as thick as the original ones. Hope they work ok...

Attachments

• 049DC9B8-45F2-45B2-84D1-F1254683D8BC.jpg
    049DC9B8-45F2-45B2-84D1-F1254683D8BC.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 465
  • 633EC09C-2B13-490D-86FE-FEB6B4456F4D.jpg
    633EC09C-2B13-490D-86FE-FEB6B4456F4D.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 450
  • D8D46D9F-8986-43F2-8754-10515BCED21E.jpg
    D8D46D9F-8986-43F2-8754-10515BCED21E.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 453

nikos

Been out for a short test. No problem at all. Almost no wear/contact marks. Should hold up at least as good as the original ones.

I am thinking

Its amazing how many original spare parts in the ST4 have improved by the ideas of owners, just using various types of equivalent materials.

Nikos.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I got mine from Bombi1 here on Forums. I don't know if he is still doing them or not. He had both patterns. He is sometimes slow to respond though.

CT

NZsnowtrac

Hello everyone!

I am restoring a 1968 St4 with the 2 band track setup, it is using the St30 brass sprockets and they need to be replaced with 2 new sets.

I am happy and open to try the UHMW plastic ones if somebody could point me in the right direction, any idea who can get them made??

Thanks very much!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have the drawings for the uhmw ones give me a call at 907 434 0692 I can arrange to get you a tracing of my pattern.

Don

Hi Guys, I am on the hunt for replacement ST30 sprockets as well. Anybody out there with options can please contact me via this forum. I am interested in original style but open to HD material as well. Thanks! CR

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Guys, I am on the hunt for replacement ST30 sprockets as well. Anybody out there with options can please contact me via this forum. I am interested in original style but open to HD material as well. Thanks! CR

so here is what is going on in the midwest.

I am currently meeting with nonferrous foundries in the upper midwest.

the first quote was 3-500 per sprocket for the #18 pound ST52 or three band track sprockets
they can and do work on two band machines with some cleaning up.

the goal is to find a foundry that will welcome the work at a reasonable price. then machine the blanks to the unique two band fit. the steps are not difficult just time consuming.

I have a production grade cope and drag set up and the foundries around here have the proper flask and sand systems to use them.

Moosemeat

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm just learning how to navigate through this site so excuse me if this is a duplicate of my earlier post. My Dad worked for Equipment Services back in the 70's. If I remember correctly they were re-facing the drive sprocket teeth at a local welding shop. I have a friend here in Homer that re-builds Boat Propellers, stainless and bronze both. They simply weld material onto the old prop and grind it back down. They look and perform like new. Anyone try this approach? There's also a specialty welding rod company that should have the right rod material.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm just learning how to navigate through this site so excuse me if this is a duplicate of my earlier post. My Dad worked for Equipment Services back in the 70's. If I remember correctly they were re-facing the drive sprocket teeth at a local welding shop. I have a friend here in Homer that re-builds Boat Propellers, stainless and bronze both. They simply weld material onto the old prop and grind it back down. They look and perform like new. Anyone try this approach? There's also a specialty welding rod company that should have the right rod material.

Silicon Bronze rod would be the choice.

I think this could be done at a welding shop with some talent. If the sprockets are not wore out to badly.

If my machine were sitting because of worn sprockets, I would seriously be giving it a try. :thumbup:

Regards, Kirk

Bombi1

GOLD Site Supporter
I am going to have some sprockets cast. Can do both types.
If you want a set. PM me. Thanks, John