• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Track bars, do I need them?

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 1988 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) leaf springs front & rear. Others have told me to ditch the track bars as they are useless on a vehicle with leaf springs. I'm leaning toward ditching them but I want some opinions if possible.

Anyone?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Track bars or sway bars? You need track bars. You do not need sway bars

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Track bars or sway bars? You need track bars. You do not need sway bars
Currently, I have both. Was told that the leaf springs basically perform the same function as the track bars. It makes sense when you think about it. If the Jeep had coils they would need the track bar to keep the "shimmy" from getting the vehicle into a death wobble. This wouldn't happen with leaf springs, so what purpose do the track bars serve?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I would say any extra stabilization should help.

Leaf springs have two sets of pins/rubber bushings on each end, and what I would consider thin straps. And all there is a small pin centering the axle on the mounting pad.

But then again, I tend to go overboard on everything.

And, I've never really done anything with leaf springs

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
What is your intended use of the Jeep?

If you are looking for maximum off road flexibility, loose them. If this is a street cruiser with occasional off roaring, leave them on for more stability.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
What is your intended use of the Jeep?

If you are looking for maximum off road flexibility, loose them. If this is a street cruiser with occasional off roaring, leave them on for more stability.
Well there you go. The only time this thing hits the street is to get to the trail... :biggrin: I removed the front track bar earlier today and then took it for a couple mile run up the road. Surprisingly the ride was so much better it was scary. It's always be "darty" but that's all gone now. I'll drive it like this for a couple of weeks and then drop the rear and see what happens.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the older jeeps had no track bars I will look at my buddy's today. I have never heard of track bars with leafs I wonder if it is something some one added? as for sway bars one will never miss them until you try evasive maneuver's or star in top gear, the sway bars will somewhat affect off road performance in the negative which is why mine are removed. it gets to the trail on trailer or tow bar.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
as for sway bars one will never miss them until you try evasive maneuver's or star in top gear, the sway bars will somewhat affect off road performance in the negative which is why mine are removed. it gets to the trail on trailer or tow bar.
Agreed on the sway bars, but I'll leave them on and use a quick disco. I'm in the mountains so there is no straight shot anywhere so I feel better having them.

But the track bars seem to bind up the springs and stop them from achieving their full range of motion, which is why I considered removing them in the first place. That and there's a strange "thump" underneath the tub (passengers side) and I'm working through a process of elimination. :smile: