• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Boeing 787 sets record!

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I agree carbon fiber is something. Corvettes have used it now for a few years in drive shafts, frame sections as well as many body parts. The stuff is pretty strong but in a plane I guess time will tell.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
My whole boat is of a carbon fiber reinforced epoxy. Built in 1988. Old tech.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Carbon is making some major advancements in many different industries. My bike frame and fork is all carbon. As you see it it weighs less than 16 pounds. That is a 2011 model and the 2012 and other manufactures have even developed it even further and made it lighter. That is lighter than a bowling ball for those of you that bowl.

99acb62b.jpg

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Carbon fiber has been used in aircraft for decades. The Voyager (flew around the world non-stop) airplane designed and built by Burt Rutan in 1984, was nearly all carbon fiber. Very stable, strong and light weight.

Murph, that's an incredible bike! But that seat sure looks comfy. (not...)