• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hot Dogs & Bacon will kill you ~ Researchers make this claim

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Seriously, they had to research this? I wonder what that cost us? I obviously live in some sort of a bubble because I just assumed that everyone knew that HOT DOGS and BACON were bad for you, clogged your heart, backed up your arteries, and generally caused premature death with a smile on your face :flowers:
Hot dogs, bacon put your heart at risk: study
http://health.yahoo.com/news/afp/healthusfoodmeat_20100517234959.html
By AFP - Mon May 17, 4:49 PM PDT

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Eating hot dogs, bacon, sausage or deli meats increases the chance of heart disease by 42 percent, US researchers said in a report out Monday. Eating processed meat is also linked to a 19 percent higher risk of Type 2 diabetes, said the study, which appeared in the journal Circulation.

However researchers found no higher risk of heart disease or diabetes among people that ate unprocessed red meat such as from beef, pork, or lamb.

Most healthy eating guidelines already recommended limited meat consumption, but until now "studies have shown mixed results for relationships between meat consumption and cardiovascular diseases and diabetes," said Renata Micha, the lead author of the study.

"Most prior studies also did not separately consider the health effects of eating unprocessed red versus processed meats," said Micha, a research fellow in the department of epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH).

The team reached their conclusions by studying information from 1,600 reports from around the world involving some 1.2 million people.

On average, each 50 gram (1.8 ounce) daily serving of processed meat (about one to two slices of deli meats, or one hot dog) was associated with the higher heart disease and diabetes risk, the researchers said.

Lifestyle factors associated with eating unprocessed red meats and processed meats "were similar, but only processed meats were linked to higher risk," said report co-author Dariush Mozaffarian, assistant professor in the department of epidemiology at HSPH.

While unprocessed red and processed meats eaten in the United States contained similar average amounts of saturated fat and cholesterol, researches found that processed meats "contained, on average, four times more sodium and 50 percent more nitrate preservatives," said Micha.

"This suggests that differences in salt and preservatives, rather than fats, might explain the higher risk of heart disease and diabetes seen with processed meats, but not with unprocessed red meats," she said.

In order to decrease heart attack and diabetes risk, it would be best to avoid processed meats such as bacon, salami, sausages, hot dogs and processed deli meats.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I heard that on the radio yesterday. I know hotdogs, Canadian bacon are processed but I neve considered plain old bacon being processed. Funny going through the type 2 diabetes clinic since they were worried about me foe a while Canadian bacon was highly recomended.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
damn straight, norscanner.

is this not old news? also, does the majority of the population even GIVE A DAMN? i sure as hell dont. bring on that processed crap, baby. as long as its on the grill, i will eat it. id rather be fat n happy, than skinny n hungry

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
So these are out of the question, eh?

bacon-wrapped-hot-dog.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bacon, bacon .... I love bacon! But I've cut back on it considerably this year. We used to have it most weekends but have broken that habit. Dang it.

Rusty said:
bring on that processed crap, baby. as long as its on the grill, i will eat it. id rather be fat n happy, than skinny n hungry

Ahh to be young again. I bet most of us guys on here felt the same as you in our younger days. :yum:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
The article is implying that if you eat bacon or hot dogs EVEN ONce, your risk goes up. Sure wish that the people who write this stuff would use some actual facts and figures.

Untill then, I'm going to be taking my chances with bacon. Hot dogs are too scary.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The article is implying that if you eat bacon or hot dogs EVEN ONce, your risk goes up.

:eek: I did not read it close enough to catch that. Wouldn't that imply that 99.9% of our population has the raised risk. I was going to say 100% as I can't imagine anyone who has never had bacon, hot dog, sausage, cold cuts or spam. That is unfathomable to me ...

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
thats because you havent had our Sechrist dogs. (my locale only :D )

ask muley, he might remember. THOSE are hot dogs. youll never eat a ballpark again :w00t2:
Smiths from Erie, PA are a gourmet hot dog (if there is such a thing).