• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

VW offers to "buy back" diesels

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like the diesel cheating scandal is pushing VW to offer to buy back their diesel cars.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-usa-idUSKCN0XH2CX

They can have my diesels back when they pry the keys out of my cold dead hands :hammer:

FULL STORY AT THE LINK ABOVE, but the meat of the story is here:
Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) and U.S. officials have reached a framework deal under which the automaker would offer to buy back almost 500,000 diesel cars that used sophisticated software to evade U.S. emission rules, two people briefed on the matter said on Wednesday.

The German automaker is expected to tell a federal judge in San Francisco Thursday that it has agreed to offer to buy back up to 500,000 2.0-liter diesel vehicles sold in the United States that exceeded legally allowable emission levels, the people said.

That would include versions of the Jetta sedan, the Golf compact and the Audi A3 sold since 2009. The buyback offer does not apply to the bigger, 80,000 3.0-liter diesel vehicles also found to have exceeded U.S. pollution limits . . .

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
If I still had my

PIECE OF RAGING SHIT

Passat TDi, I would be first in line to get paid. Luckily that turd hearse is down the road while it still had some value, now it's somebody else's problem. :clap:

The buyback is part of some type of $5000 per vehicle allowance. Link

I will never own another diesel newer than 2010. The EPA can lick me…

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I will never own another diesel newer than 2010. The EPA can lick me…

Oh I agree, the older diesels were far better. But the newer diesels are still pretty darn good, despite the noose the EPA put around the neck of the engines. EPA has totally screwed the American public when it comes to engines.

And the ethanol mandate is screwing the gasoline car owners.

So the way I see it, we all take it in the shorts.

I wish my Jetta was a 2009, its a 2010, which is not as good an engine due to the EPA restrictions. Actually same engine, different computer bits and different exhaust bits, both of which screw it out of running full bio-diesel.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm pretty happy with my 2013 Jetta TDI. I signed on to the class action - I'll just take cash if possible. Already got the $1K good will deal.

I won't let the dealership touch mine. I don't want them re-programming it and making it less efficient.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I can almost see this in the near future turning into a "cash for not so clunkers", LOL!! Our wonderful gov't will buy them for new price just to get them off the road.
Mike

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm pretty happy with my 2013 Jetta TDI. I signed on to the class action - I'll just take cash if possible. Already got the $1K good will deal.

I won't let the dealership touch mine. I don't want them re-programming it and making it less efficient.

Yup, they are not buying back my cars.

And nope, the dealership doesn't get to "fix" them either :hammer:

I took their cash, I'll take more if they offer it, but I'm not giving up my cars in exchange for $$$

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
VW will buy them back and then ship them to third world countries and sell them for a profit. I suspect at the end of the day VW will at least break even.

I intend to drive mine until it gets too expensive to maintain or something "better" comes along. Maybe in a few years electric will be able to get 400 miles to a rapid charge but until that happens I'm sticking with fossil fuels.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
just wait until epa gets stupid like California and states they have to buy them back than put a jack hammer through the block so the engines cant be reused

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the price of inhalers are just dropping.suprising what our elected people can do.

I was told to plug part of my emissions on my 1.9 vw diesel in the pistenbully.when I asked how he said put a BB in this line.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that would be your vacuum actuated egr valve used to to it all they time on the old carbureted engines. once they started using egr position sensors I could no longer do it had to custom cut gasket material with no ports in it.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I reprogrammed the egr on my '01 Jetta TDi to only open above 15,000 altitude and 130F ambient temps.

It's possible to do this with the older engines.