• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Favorite FREE fitness apps

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
As some of you know, I embarked on a weight loss program back on June 1, 2014, and lost 50#. I did this under the guidance of a nutritionist at my local VA Outpatient Clinic, and my doctor. The weight was lost by November 2014 through diet & exercise (duh? :yum:), and I have successfully kept it off throughout the Winter months, maintaining my weight within +/- 3# during the long, cold months in NEO Ohio.

I managed to keep my enthusiasm up with the help of my DW, who has always been an avid walker, and who patiently took me on walks when I found it very difficult to not only keep up with her, but going beyond 2-1/2 miles was exhausting, and would take me almost 47 minutes to do it. That's a pace of almost 19 minutes per mile. She stuck with me, and today I'm the one who says "Hey, let's go for a walk." She never turns me down.

I went out this morning and did 3.4 miles in 44-1/2 minutes, at a pace of 13 minutes per mile. This was jogging & walking combined. My goal is to be able to jog a 5k without walking by my 65th birthday in October, which I believe is doable.

Back to the topic, I was able to keep track of my workouts using a free app from www.mapmyrun.com (available from the App Store) which resides on both my iPhone 5s and my MacBook Pro. I started using it June 16, 2014, and it keeps a running tally of each of my workouts. When logging data, you can tell it if you've been walking, biking, hiking, or any of about a dozen other activities. This assists the app in accurately calculating calories burned depending on the activity. In the past 10 months I have logged the following:

469.75 Miles
176 Workouts
226.25 Hours of exercise
103,172 Calories burned (29.48#)

The app is not real accurate (IMO) at tracking workouts with the internal GPS of the iPhone, but is great for manually entering data to keep track of walks/runs, or at creating route maps before or at the end of a workout. It does upload recorded data to social media sites of you want to embarrass your friends on Facebook into getting off their ass and onto their feet. :brows:

My son suggested I try another free app that is excellent at tracking & map making called STRAVA (via the App Store & online). This is now my favorite app, and is not only very user friendly, but also highly configurable. I have it setup that if I stop to talk to a neighbor while walking, it senses ceased activity via the GPS, and pauses the timer until you begin to move again. This is great if you're walking, running, hiking or biking, as there will be times when you stop to hydrate or take a leak. You can also manually pause it if you will be delayed for an extended period of time, then pick back when you start moving again. We like this feature when we bike ride, as there are time we need to wait for traffic lights or pause for a water break.

Today's workout can be viewed at my STRAVA page, to see how the app reports the workout.

Anyway, that's my reviews/experience with a couple of apps. If anyone has something different, please post them with your review/opinion.

BTW, the app I used for food tracking was MyFitnessPal. It also interfaces with MapMyRun to update daily calorie use/consumption. This was invaluable to me during my weight loss phase, as workouts equated to additional calories i could use for treating myself to an ice cream cone or other treat.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used the free app that sync'ed with my FitBit.

But my FitBit died.

I just ordered a Withings POP, they have a free app that goes with that, but I don't yet use it because I'm still waiting for my Withings POP to arrive. It will also sync with a Withings Scale (which measures weight and BMI) as well as a Withings Blood Pressure Cuff . . . neither of which I own. But I've been thinking of buying???

I found the FitBit app to be excellent. Not only did it measure my steps, but also the intensity of the workout. The Withings is supposed to be just as good, perhaps a slight bit better? It also tracks swim strokes in the pool, something the FitBit did not track.

Both allow for food entry and calculate calories burned.
Both work with iPhone/Android

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I used the free app that sync'ed with my FitBit.

But my FitBit died.

I just ordered a Withings POP, they have a free app that goes with that, but I don't yet use it because I'm still waiting for my Withings POP to arrive. It will also sync with a Withings Scale (which measures weight and BMI) as well as a Withings Blood Pressure Cuff . . . neither of which I own. But I've been thinking of buying???

I found the FitBit app to be excellent. Not only did it measure my steps, but also the intensity of the workout. The Withings is supposed to be just as good, perhaps a slight bit better? It also tracks swim strokes in the pool, something the FitBit did not track.

Both allow for food entry and calculate calories burned.
Both work with iPhone/Android

My wife had several FitBit devices, which she would lose or destroy in the washing machine. While I have very bright children who are doing very well for themselves, they would keep buying her new ones to replace the damaged, killed or lost units. I guess they love their mother enough to take turns paying $100 for her to have one. Thankfully, our son (the brightest IMO) convinced her to start using some free apps on her iPhone (which he installed and setup for Mama), since she keeps it in her pocket all day already. That's worked out better for all of us, and now she proudly calls out how many steps she's taken at least 15 times a day...well, maybe not quite 15.:brows:

I checked out the Withings Pop reviews, and it looks like a very attractive timepiece with FitBit capabilities and an 8 month battery life. I like the no-charge feature and the inexpensive batteries. The Cnet review was actually the second review done by them, and it appears the shattered crystal issue is still there in the second review. That alone would make me nervous, as I wear a Timex watch because I they take abuse well and continue to function. They have other concerns as well, but you can read the article to see what they have to say.

Engadget was not overly impressed, but did give the POP a 77 rating and the Activite a 75.

I read a few additional reviews, and basically everyone liked the looks as well as the materials on the high-end model, but they all agreed that for the money, they expected more from the apps , and a better information center.

Perhaps the next generation from them will produce more of what the teckies are looking for, but if you need a new watch and like the FitBit capability, this is the one.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow, as long as all that works for you Bob, that's great. Everyone approaches this differently.

Let me share what works great for me:

I try to get plenty of walking in(usually 4 miles a day, very hilly route in just under 1 hour) and just plain eat less. Example. Oatmeal for breakfast. No lunch. A large salad with Walden Farms zero cal dressing and 8 oz of meat. That's it. No snacking, except for a little Plain Greek Yougurt after the walk.

Over the winter, I put on a few pounds and got up to 204.5. Over the past 10 days or so I am now down to 193.0 as of this morning. My target is around 190 or so and that puts me in my fighting weight for the summer projects. I am 6'3" tall and do not carry extra weight very well. It all wants to go and form a spare tire around my waist and makes me look like the Michelin Man. :yum:

Totally amazing how much better I feel so far shedding the 11.5 pounds.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, as long as all that works for you Bob, that's great. Everyone approaches this differently.

Let me share what works great for me:

I try to get plenty of walking in(usually 4 miles a day, very hilly route in just under 1 hour) and just plain eat less. Example. Oatmeal for breakfast. No lunch. A large salad with Walden Farms zero cal dressing and 8 oz of meat. That's it. No snacking, except for a little Plain Greek Yougurt after the walk.

Over the winter, I put on a few pounds and got up to 204.5. Over the past 10 days or so I am now down to 193.0 as of this morning. My target is around 190 or so and that puts me in my fighting weight for the summer projects. I am 6'3" tall and do not carry extra weight very well. It all wants to go and form a spare tire around my waist and makes me look like the Michelin Man. :yum:

Totally amazing how much better I feel so far shedding the 11.5 pounds.

Excellent effort there TR. While I don't agree with your diet, if you're not hungry and your doctor agrees, then it must be fine. I eat 5-6 times a day, but some of them are "mini meals," or some call them snack. They consist of things like a piece of fruit, raw veggies or no-fat yogurt, and are 50-100 calories, which takes the edge off the hunger pangs between meals. Main meals that at 2/3 to 3/4 veggies are the norm for us, as we are not big meat eaters. I even have an outrageous veggie omelet every morning.The evenings are the toughest when we're just sitting in front of the tv, but hot-air popcorn with a little salt takes off the edge, at 32 calories per cup.

If you're looking for low calories snacks, the VA has a lot of handouts you can download from their weight management site, www.move.va.gov. The site is down for maintenance today, but you'll find a lot of helpful weight loss/weight management information there. This is the program I used to lose weight and to keep it off.

I can totally relate to how amazing it feels to have more energy, and how much better I feel overall. I believe that you have more mentally acuity as well when you get down to your ideal weight and engage in regular exercise.

Keep up the good work.

Since the VA site is down, here's list of amazing snacks under 100 calories, that actually taste good. http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-100-calorie-snacks

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I also try to walk. We have a 5 mile route that my wife and I try to walk as often as possible, often daily.

I was very happy with the data that the FitBit collected so getting something that is a lot fancier that has GPS tracking, etc seemed very unnecessary, especially when it gets synced with an iPhone.

As for the Withings POP, yes I am concerned about the shattered crystal issue but they claim to be working to resolve it so I am hoping they actually accomplish it. My main goal was to get away from weekly recharging. With a 2 week trip to England, and lots of walking on that trip, I didn't want the FitBit to have its battery die during a mid-day hike. Worse yet an Apple Watch, with a whopping 18 HOUR battery life. WTF???

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Excellent effort there TR. While I don't agree with your diet, if you're not hungry and your doctor agrees, then it must be fine. I eat 5-6 times a day, but some of them are "mini meals," or some call them snack. They consist of things like a piece of fruit, raw veggies or no-fat yogurt, and are 50-100 calories, which takes the edge off the hunger pangs between meals. Main meals that at 2/3 to 3/4 veggies are the norm for us, as we are not big meat eaters. I even have an outrageous veggie omelet every morning.The evenings are the toughest when we're just sitting in front of the tv, but hot-air popcorn with a little salt takes off the edge, at 32 calories per cup.

If you're looking for low calories snacks, the VA has a lot of handouts you can download from their weight management site, www.move.va.gov. The site is down for maintenance today, but you'll find a lot of helpful weight loss/weight management information there. This is the program I used to lose weight and to keep it off.

I can totally relate to how amazing it feels to have more energy, and how much better I feel overall. I believe that you have more mentally acuity as well when you get down to your ideal weight and engage in regular exercise.

Keep up the good work.

Since the VA site is down, here's list of amazing snacks under 100 calories, that actually taste good. http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-100-calorie-snacks

Nope, hunger pangs has not been an issue. Maybe just lucky I guess. This diet is an annual thing for me, shedding winter fat and getting ready for summer. It is safe for me, as I have done this a number of times in the past with good and safe results and I am still alive and kicking. I did forget to mention that I add some supplements to the mix to make sure the old body is getting the vitamins and minerals it needs. Oh, plenty of water too. Be kind to those kidneys.

Thanx for that list of 100 cal snacks.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I also try to walk. We have a 5 mile route that my wife and I try to walk as often as possible, often daily.

I was very happy with the data that the FitBit collected so getting something that is a lot fancier that has GPS tracking, etc seemed very unnecessary, especially when it gets synced with an iPhone.

As for the Withings POP, yes I am concerned about the shattered crystal issue but they claim to be working to resolve it so I am hoping they actually accomplish it. My main goal was to get away from weekly recharging. With a 2 week trip to England, and lots of walking on that trip, I didn't want the FitBit to have its battery die during a mid-day hike. Worse yet an Apple Watch, with a whopping 18 HOUR battery life. WTF???

FitBit needs induction charging. That would make it a sensational piece of equipment. I just cannot figure out why these fitness and smart watches overall resist going to induction charging. It's simple and convenient.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FitBit needs induction charging. That would make it a sensational piece of equipment. I just cannot figure out why these fitness and smart watches overall resist going to induction charging. It's simple and convenient.

I can't figure out why they don't take a replaceable battery like the Withings so you don't have to mess with the damn recharging!!! My FitBit always seemed to die on me during a long walk or when I wasn't paying attention. I could never count on 7 days, sometimes it was 5, sometimes 6 sometimes 8!

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Just an update since my April posting...

5-17-15 stats:

469.75 Miles
176 Workouts
226.25 Hours of exercise
103,172 Calories burned (29.48#)

9-27-15 stats:

867 Miles
256 Workouts
289 Hours of exercise
139,702 Calories burned (39.91#)

My goal to run the 5K w/o walking by October has been shelved due to my knees not being happy with that. Since I don't choose to mess them up just to succeed at a goal, I have added riding my bike more frequently to supplement the walking, and to add some diversity to the exercise program. Me & Mrs JEV frequently get out on the weekends when the weather permits, and crank out anywhere from 10-12 miles in an hour's worth of riding. With her along we bike at about 10-11 mph, but my lone workouts average 13-14 mph. Last night's ride (alone) was 13.56 mph for 7.3 miles before I was chased home by the rain. You sure get chilled quickly biking in the rain at that speed.