• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Woke up at 4am this morning to thunder and pouring rain. Couldn't get back to sleep. That's been happening a lot lately. I finally dozed back off about 6am and got up for good around 8am to find out that there were tornados on the ground to the east of us. The rain was starting to ease up but there will be no outside work done today. I probably won't get back to my mowing until at least Tuesday, if then. I suppose that having a shower will be the highlight of my day.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
All the rain stopped yesterday, sun is out and no shutdown work today. I think the wife and I will shoot again today.

WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT BELOW

Hi all, yesterday we were going to shoot but the wife started making dog food and asked me to give her an hour or so. As my new radiator hose showed up some days ago for the Suzuki. The last trip to the work cabin it developed a leak and I burned the side of my face with the radiator water. So I decided to put it on while waiting.
I got the hose on OK but when I stepped across the void on the trailer my foot drug on the heavy expanded metal and caused me to lose balance. I went down with a jug of water in one hand and caught myself with the other. I was able to brake my fall with one arm on the other side but cut the shit out of my forearm on the edge of the expanded, stamping the shape of the expanded metal into my arm about 1/4" deep. Lucky I was wearing a sweat shirt or it would have been a trip to the doctor. Im sure I could have used some stitches but it will heal and doesn't hurt too bad. The pictures are from this morning, 3rd bandage.Thats the 2nd boo boo I got working on the Suzuki cooling system, I hope the 3 times rule doesn't apply I want to change the water pump and timing belt as preventative maintenance :boxing: If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.:boxing:

Attachments

• IMG_0737.jpg
    IMG_0737.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0735.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 89

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Man, that looks pretty ugly. Take care of it and don't let it get infected.

When I worked offshore, I fell a couple of times on that stuff. Mostly it was me not looking where I was going and tripping over pipes and things. Why they think that painting those pipes yellow and black stripes will cure the problem, I don't know. Route the damned things UNDERNEATH the walkway. That's how you solve the problem.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Man, that looks pretty ugly. Take care of it and don't let it get infected.

When I worked offshore, I fell a couple of times on that stuff. Mostly it was me not looking where I was going and tripping over pipes and things. Why they think that painting those pipes yellow and black stripes will cure the problem, I don't know. Route the damned things UNDERNEATH the walkway. That's how you solve the problem.

LOL over the years I've learned if it doesn't come all the way off just tape it back on. After it heals set scar is even better than if you stitched it. And it would have to be a lot worse than that to make it worth going to a hospital right now.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I was up at 5am.
Stayed up for 2 hours, then went right back to bed.
It's going to be a do nothing day!
It's windy outside.
High wind advisory until 8 tonight.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's very windy here too. We were supposed to be getting 6" of white stuff out of this storm but so far it's less than an inch.

Got my morning workout done. She who must be obeyed went out for groceries. It's Easter Monday so no school for the kids. I may head to the garage later to putter around. Then again, why do today what I can put off till tomorrow?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
First the pandemic, next the storms and tornados, WTF next. How many plagues did Egypt have?

After the rain quit yesterday it turned out to be a very pleasant afternoon, clear skies and nice temperature but a bit breezy.

About 6:30 in the evening my wife was cooking dinner and I was about to feed the dogs when we get a phone call from my S-I-L at the farm, "Tornado on the ground, it's heading in your direction, take cover!". In the space of minutes the sky has turned this dark, eerie color and the wind is picking up. Switch everything off, get the dogs and head for the basement. When we get there it is getting really wild and then I discover neither of us has a phone. Okay, I got this. I make a dash back up to the house and when I got there I thought that I had made a mistake, I was being battered by leaves, twigs, sticks and branches driven by a wind of about 100 mph. I could hardly walk into it and it nearly blew me over a couple of times. I managed to get inside and grab my phone and take off for the basement again. The return journey was equally memorable but I made it.

It only lasted about 10 minutes. About 10 minutes after it passed the clouds broke up and the sun started to break through. There was still enough light to make a quick inspection of the place. Hellfire, what a mess. The house was okay apart for a big limb on the roof. I lost 2 big, old pine trees about 70' to 80' tall, just blown over. I don't know what I'll do with the root balls. I lost a big oak tree, not one of the huge ones but definitely big. It landed on the well house but I couldn't see much damage. Maybe I got lucky. My apple tree was snapped off 2' above the ground. There was another tree down across the gate to the pasture. Debris everywhere. Whole sections of my 5' tall wooden fence were just flattened. To me it looked more like straight line winds than a tornado.
Oh! The tornado at the farm sucked most of the water out of the lake and veered off which was good as it was heading straight for my S-I-L's house. She's still looking for her patio furniture and BBQ grills this morning. It did tear up the old equipment shed.

All in all, it was an interesting evening.

PS. Most of the east side of Mineola is still without power as of noon today. We only lost ours for about 5 hours.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
First the pandemic, next the storms and tornados, WTF next. How many plagues did Egypt have?

After the rain quit yesterday it turned out to be a very pleasant afternoon, clear skies and nice temperature but a bit breezy.

About 6:30 in the evening my wife was cooking dinner and I was about to feed the dogs when we get a phone call from my S-I-L at the farm, "Tornado on the ground, it's heading in your direction, take cover!". In the space of minutes the sky has turned this dark, eerie color and the wind is picking up. Switch everything off, get the dogs and head for the basement. When we get there it is getting really wild and then I discover neither of us has a phone. Okay, I got this. I make a dash back up to the house and when I got there I thought that I had made a mistake, I was being battered by leaves, twigs, sticks and branches driven by a wind of about 100 mph. I could hardly walk into it and it nearly blew me over a couple of times. I managed to get inside and grab my phone and take off for the basement again. The return journey was equally memorable but I made it.

It only lasted about 10 minutes. About 10 minutes after it passed the clouds broke up and the sun started to break through. There was still enough light to make a quick inspection of the place. Hellfire, what a mess. The house was okay apart for a big limb on the roof. I lost 2 big, old pine trees about 70' to 80' tall, just blown over. I don't know what I'll do with the root balls. I lost a big oak tree, not one of the huge ones but definitely big. It landed on the well house but I couldn't see much damage. Maybe I got lucky. My apple tree was snapped off 2' above the ground. There was another tree down across the gate to the pasture. Debris everywhere. Whole sections of my 5' tall wooden fence were just flattened. To me it looked more like straight line winds than a tornado.
Oh! The tornado at the farm sucked most of the water out of the lake and veered off which was good as it was heading straight for my S-I-L's house. She's still looking for her patio furniture and BBQ grills this morning. It did tear up the old equipment shed.

PS. Most of the east side of Mineola is still without power as of noon today. We only lost ours for about 5 hours.

That sucks, sounds like you won't be board for a while :shitHitFan:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
New fuel filter for the lawn tractor arrived.

Installed it and then found a fuel leak as the opposite end of the hose, where it connects to the cut off valve, was crumbling and leaking. Onto Amazon for a length of hose. I’m sure I can get it locally but I just don’t want to leave the property. New hose has a claimed deliver day is Thursday. The lawn can wait, it was mostly mowed with the big tractor.

I dunno How many plagues there were in Egypt but there was a movie about ”7 Brides for 7 Brothers“ and that sounds like a whole bunch of trouble. Glad to hear your house is still standing and in one piece. Sorry about the loss of the big trees. On the bright side you have plenty to keep you busy during the quarantine.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

DAYUM FRANK!

Stay safe

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

Damn, when it rains it pours. We are cursed with some of the shittiest weather known to man up here, but at least we never deal with twisters. Those damn things scare the living shit out of me I do not mind admitting.

We make up for that with 9 months of winter and 3 months of shitty skiing. :th_lmao:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I spent all of the afternoon and early evening blowing debris out of the carport, off the driveway and throwing sticks and branches over what used to be the fence. Where does one get help in the middle of a lockdown?

On a side note, my S-I-L found most of her patio furniture, she's missing one chair, and both of her missing BBQs, apart from the top to her $30 Weber charcoal grill. Sadly, the beautiful cook station with marble work tops and built in grill, covered with a pergola that she had out back was destroyed.

All in all, we were hit pretty hard but we were lucky that it wasn't worse than it was.

I forgot to mention that the tornado sucked the lake down about three feet. The lake is about 8 acres so that is about 24 acre-feet of water. I checked, that is close to 8 million gallons. Hell, that is a lot of water in a short time.

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That's damned scary. We had a mini tornado/wind sheer come through camp the first year we were there. Picked up a tent and dropped it in the lake 400 feet away. Tore down awnings. Picked up a whole camper off it's support stands and moved it over a few feet. I was in the middle of rolling up my awning when it passed through a few hundred feet away. It lifted me off the ground a few feet. I would have been sucked up if I wasn't holding on. It also picked up someone's wood shed fully loaded and set it down 5 feet away down a steep bank.

No big plans today. I may head out to the garage. Then again I may not. We shall see.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Working the 12.
I hope I'm only assigned to one unit for the entire day.
It's tiring to be here, there and everywhere.

Bannedjoe

Dammit.
Glad you're ok.
Tornados is just plain scary shit.

As a Kid, I lived on Lake Minnetonka for some years.
That place seemed to be a magnet for tornados.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I spent all of the afternoon and early evening blowing debris out of the carport, off the driveway and throwing sticks and branches over what used to be the fence. Where does one get help in the middle of a lockdown?

On a side note, my S-I-L found most of her patio furniture, she's missing one chair, and both of her missing BBQs, apart from the top to her $30 Weber charcoal grill. Sadly, the beautiful cook station with marble work tops and built in grill, covered with a pergola that she had out back was destroyed.

All in all, we were hit pretty hard but we were lucky that it wasn't worse than it was.

I forgot to mention that the tornado sucked the lake down about three feet. The lake is about 8 acres so that is about 24 acre-feet of water. I checked, that is close to 8 million gallons. Hell, that is a lot of water in a short time.

Dayum, that is some shit right there, dude. Twisters are just unbelievable in the things they can do, all in a relatively short period of time. I'm sure, as you are living through it, it prolly seems like forever.

Glad you blokes are OK.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
After the big rain and wind storm of yesterday, today looks more promising in the weather department.

Hopefully a nice long walk is in the cards today along with some chain saw action on some brush and small trees around the adobe that needs taking care of before they leaf out.

Lawn is turning green rapidly due to all the rain we've had. I should do the first cut in about a week or so which is pretty much on schedule with years past. Last year the first mowing was April 29, so this year should be a little ahead of that by a few days.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday evening reading a report while walking and I fell down a 1/2 flight of stairs :smileywac

So I'm an idiot.

Impact was mostly my left wrist, arm, shoulder. Lots of pain. Fortunately I have prescription pain meds for my arthritis. Almost never take them. Found the bottle, which the doctor just had refilled for me at the start of the Covid mess so its all fresh and full strength.

Pretty sure I sprained my left wrist. Thought it might have been broken because 3 fingers went numb. Those are no longer numb this morning. Left bicep is torn, minor tear. I've done it before, I know what it feels like. I know it's a minor tear because of the level of pain. I've done it worse. Even a minor tear is not fun. Shoulder just throbbing. So wrist is in a rigid brace. Arm is in a sling. Everything seems to work properly, just sore.

Good thing for me I hurt myself frequently so I had the sling and brace at home from prior injuries :moon:

Needless to say it's a TV & Pajama day for me today. Oh, and pain pills that make me dizzy.

REALLY GLAD that it wasn't worse. Wife keeps asking if she needs to take me to the doctor. Pretty sure she will just slow the car and push me out while driving past the office, not taking that chance. It would be a long walk home.​

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday evening reading a report while walking and I fell down a 1/2 flight of stairs :smileywac

So I'm an idiot.

Impact was mostly my left wrist, arm, shoulder. Lots of pain. Fortunately I have prescription pain meds for my arthritis. Almost never take them. Found the bottle, which the doctor just had refilled for me at the start of the Covid mess so its all fresh and full strength.

Pretty sure I sprained my left wrist. Thought it might have been broken because 3 fingers went numb. Those are no longer numb this morning. Left bicep is torn, minor tear. I've done it before, I know what it feels like. I know it's a minor tear because of the level of pain. I've done it worse. Even a minor tear is not fun. Shoulder just throbbing. So wrist is in a rigid brace. Arm is in a sling. Everything seems to work properly, just sore.

Good thing for me I hurt myself frequently so I had the sling and brace at home from prior injuries :moon:

Needless to say it's a TV & Pajama day for me today. Oh, and pain pills that make me dizzy.

REALLY GLAD that it wasn't worse. Wife keeps asking if she needs to take me to the doctor. Pretty sure she will just slow the car and push me out while driving past the office, not taking that chance. It would be a long walk home.

You're no idiot. Just suffering the problems of getting older. Balance is one of them.

Guys like you are the reason they make whisky!
:laugh3:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
You're no idiot. Just suffering the problems of getting older. Balance is one of them.

Guys like you are the reason they make whisky!
:laugh3:

You got that right. My balance is not what it used to be and I'm not nearly as nimble as I once was. Those are the reasons that my wife banned me from going up on the roof a couple of years ago. She must expect that the limb that is on the roof right now is just going to fall off there.

Bob, take the time to heal properly before you start in to your projects again. That's another mistake that I often make, especially with my back.

And yes, whiskey does help! :thumbup: Franc, I can tell that you are a Scotch drinker.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Day 33 of being away from people.

Just got back from a 2.5 mile walk. A nice sunny day and an enjoyable walk.

Other than that, a quiet day. :thumbup:

I am really enjoying all these quiet days away from people, I must say. :smile:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
You got that right. My balance is not what it used to be and I'm not nearly as nimble as I once was. Those are the reasons that my wife banned me from going up on the roof a couple of years ago. She must expect that the limb that is on the roof right now is just going to fall off there.

Bob, take the time to heal properly before you start in to your projects again. That's another mistake that I often make, especially with my back.

And yes, whiskey does help! :thumbup: Franc, I can tell that you are a Scotch drinker.

WHISKY, not whiskey
Glenfiddich 18 year single malt!:clap:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WHISKY, not whiskey

I’ll stick with bourbon. Which is not picky about the “e” in the name. Some brands use it, some don’t.

And my left arm hurts. Shoulder, bicep and wrist. Oh and my right knee.

Is it bourbon-O’clock yet?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
After talking to the insurance adjuster for a day decided to say "screw it' and fire up the chain saw. I cut my way through the oak tree branches to get in to the well house and from the inside it looks okay. We'll have to wait until I can get up on the metal roof to see what it looks like but I feel as if we may have dodged a bullet. Lots more cutting to be done, a lot more cutting. I then started to clear the oak tree from the gate in to the pasture. I got it cleared enough that I can get the Gator and the tractor through there if need be. I had to quit as my back was killing me.

I also cut up a huge limb from a pine tree that was imbedded in the lawn. My wife loaded it all in the Gator and took it down back an dumped it. I love that lady.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get another huge limb off the roof and inspect it for damage. My wife thinks that she is going up there but I'm not too keen on that and she's not too keen on me going up there. We're still discussing it.

Tomorrow I'm going to the old people's hour at Tractor Supply to get dog biscuits and other things. It'll be the first time in over a month that I've been off the property. We'll see what happens.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Slept IN for a bit this morning, now I've got two whole glorious days off!.
I've got to grocery shop and do some window banking, which I hate. Prefer going in.

Ha.. how about that stimulus?
Mine was there this morning.
Some of my younger coworkers were flipping out because they actually got it.
What, did you think you weren't? Lol

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
WHISKY, not whiskey

Now guys, please do not take this the wrong way but I must say I find it humorous that you guys talk about losing balance and alcohol consumption in the same sentence. Now mind you that comes from days past for me when I had plenty of issues with both. :th_lmao::th_lmao::th_lmao:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Now guys, please do not take this the wrong way but I must say I find it humorous that you guys talk about losing balance and alcohol consumption in the same sentence. Now mind you that comes from days past for me when I had plenty of issues with both. :th_lmao::th_lmao::th_lmao:

Yea well I went in the hole too last week and I don't drink, maybe I should start so I have an excuse to.:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.