• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Oil leak stopped

loboloco

BP: No oil leaking into Gulf from busted well

Play Video AP – BP back to slow process of choking oil with cap

b
b

AP – In this image taken from video provided by BP PLC at 6:45 a.m. EDT Thursday July 15, 2010, oil flows …

5 mins ago
NEW ORLEANS – BP says oil from its broken well has stopped gushing into the Gulf of Mexico for the first time since April.
The announcement Thursday came after company officials said all valves had been shut on a new cap over the busted well in an experiment to stop the spill.
Kent Wells, a BP PLC vice president, said at a news briefing that oil stopped flowing into the water at 2:25 p.m. CDT.
It was a long-awaited milestone in one of the nation's worst environmental disasters. While not a permanent solution to plug the busted well, the success in capturing the oil spewing out was welcome news.
The crisis began when BP's deepwater rig exploded, killing 11 workers.
The cap is not a permanent fix. BP is drilling two relief wells so it can pump mud and cement into the leaking well in hopes of plugging it for good.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
About time the black shit stopped spilling out.....lets hope this technology can be used on a wider scale:yum::yum::yum:

Now if we were talking whipped cream i would not fear the back lash......PC annoys me:doh:

Fingers crossed it's sorted.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Well the oil "may" be stopped, but that puts us at best "day one of the spills cleanup".

It it the same now as if a ship hit the reef and spilled millions of gallons of oil. The cargo is still floating around. It took thirty days for it to reach the shore and flowed for eighty something days. There is still going to be months of oil floating around and will have to be dealt with.

Currently I am in Mississippi running an oil skimmer we shipped down from Alaska, the beaches are empty, no oil to speak of and the President of the United States did more damage to this economy with a stroke of a pen by shutting down the oil drilling from here to Alaska than BP has done with the leak.

All the drilling rigs have left, even Shell's ship in Alaska went elsewhere because of the ban. Now the ships will be drilling in other countries that we will now have to buy oil from and have lost tens of thousands of very good paying jobs that won't come back, if at all for years.

In four to five months, the oil will be all but gone, the fishing will be back online and back to normal in a year or two, but that only is a small percentage of jobs affected. The press hasn't told the truth and now they are backtracking in an attempt to get tourist to come back that believed the horror stories and went elsewhere.

I will post photos in a few days of. What has been hitting the beaches. There is places that were impacted, but are small areas. The oil that khas made it to the beaches is weathered oil with all the solvents evaporated out of it, it is like snot and sticks to everything and sinks into nothing except when it hit the beach and sand sticks to it. The sand keeps the oil from floating and rolls into tarballs and when in the sun, dries out. Pretty nasty looking, but to the point of uneventfull.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Ah, yes. The amateur occupying the White House who couldn't make a decision ,so he just voted "Present." What a genius. Further proof that he is a Muslim, by directing all the oil business to his brethren in the Middle East. All praise to the immaculated one. No domestic drilling and a European economy busting V.A.T..

How's all this Hope & Change working out for y'all? Isn't it great.

Foggy, you're the only ray of sunshine in this mess, as you have shed more light on what is and will really happen, than the lame street media would ever tell us. If it's not gloom & doom, those pecker heads don't want anything to do with it.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
As I said before, "Thank you Foggie". You're a sane and rational voice in a sea of bullshit opinion.

By-the-way, the well is capped, not dead.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Foggy,
I've been following your wisdom on this for months.
I appreciate that nowhere but on FF have I been able to get the real deal. You have been spot on.
Now I need to know what your take is on this oil well is. About 3 years ago I read that there was a MASSIVE oil reserve discovered in the Gulf of Mexico. It contained TRILLIONS of barrels of oil.
I think this is it.
I guess what I'm wondering is: What will happen when the relief wells IE: the drilling to plug this thing happens - and they plug it miles below the earths crust. Does that mean that we will never TAP that massive oil reserve?

Me thinks that - that is way too much easy oil to forget about and simply plug up - and forget about.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the oil "may" be stopped, but that puts us at best "day one of the spills cleanup".

It it the same now as if a ship hit the reef and spilled millions of gallons of oil. The cargo is still floating around. It took thirty days for it to reach the shore and flowed for eighty something days. There is still going to be months of oil floating around and will have to be dealt with.

Currently I am in Mississippi running an oil skimmer we shipped down from Alaska, the beaches are empty, no oil to speak of and the President of the United States did more damage to this economy with a stroke of a pen by shutting down the oil drilling from here to Alaska than BP has done with the leak.

All the drilling rigs have left, even Shell's ship in Alaska went elsewhere because of the ban. Now the ships will be drilling in other countries that we will now have to buy oil from and have lost tens of thousands of very good paying jobs that won't come back, if at all for years.

In four to five months, the oil will be all but gone, the fishing will be back online and back to normal in a year or two, but that only is a small percentage of jobs affected. The press hasn't told the truth and now they are backtracking in an attempt to get tourist to come back that believed the horror stories and went elsewhere.

I will post photos in a few days of. What has been hitting the beaches. There is places that were impacted, but are small areas. The oil that khas made it to the beaches is weathered oil with all the solvents evaporated out of it, it is like snot and sticks to everything and sinks into nothing except when it hit the beach and sand sticks to it. The sand keeps the oil from floating and rolls into tarballs and when in the sun, dries out. Pretty nasty looking, but to the point of uneventfull.

Thank you Mark. :flowers::smile: xxxooo

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Foggy,
I appreciate that nowhere but on FF have I been able to get the real deal. You have been spot on.
Now I need to know what your take is on this oil well is. About 3 years ago I read that there was a MASSIVE oil reserve discovered in the Gulf of Mexico. It contained TRILLIONS of barrels of oil.
I think this is it.
I guess what I'm wondering is: What will happen when the relief wells IE: the drilling to plug this thing happens - and they plug it miles below the earths crust. Does that mean that we will never TAP that massive oil reserve?

Me thinks that - that is way too much easy oil to forget about and simply plug up - and forget about.

I think that I can answer that one.

The well in question is probably an 8-1/2" diameter hole into an oil bearing structure covering several square miles. Once they get this particular hole cemented up and killed, with no communication to the surface or between other permeable zones that are open to the one that is flowing, they can go back and drill other wells as if nothing had happened. From a strictly engineering standpoint, all that has really happened is that they have wasted several hundreds of thousands of barrels of potential oil production.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the update Lobo & once again great posts Fogtender & Frank . :clap:

Maybe its just me , but what I see is a contained well for the moment at best , With a new top capable of hooking back up securelly another pipe that can take the oil back up to the contaiment ships with a valve that can turn it back on just as easilly as shutting it off . Perty hard for me to beleive their not going to get all the oil they can before ever thinking about plugging it completelly .

They damn sure have plenty of video that can make it appear to be doing one thing while actually doing something else :whistling: . But then again I,m no oilman , I just find it hard to trust BP any more then I do our own government . :hammer:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Foggy,
I think this is it.

I would assume that the current administration would prefer to stop all production in the gulf (and elsewhere), so it may be the end of the drilling for awhile. But it isn't where they can call it a national park, so the next Administration may open it back up.

Ran around in the skimmer today, didn't see any oil that wasn't being pumped out of the boats bilges... which is good, but there is five months worth of weathered oil out there floating around breaking up, hopefully it will break down at sea and be gone.

I think somewhere a while back I said that when Obama approved limited offshore drilling it was a scam, and I still believe that it is. This was just a gift for him to pull the rug out from the oil companies and the American public that uses gas to drive with.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
As I said in another thread, it's very, very difficult to kill a well that is flowing at 35.000 to 65,000 barrels a day. What this cap does is allow you to hold back pressure on the well while you pump the kill mud down through the relief well and back up through the existing well. That exponentially increases your chances of success of killing it.

The main problem now is that with the well essentially shut in, the pressure may break down some exposed formation and the oil could still be flowing underground from the producing formation, up the wellbore and into some higher formation. Underground blowouts like that are also very, very difficult to kill but that at least becomes a technical problem with no visible ecological impact but it's still a bitch and a nightmare. It'll be interesting to see what the shut in wellhead pressure does over the next couple of days. That may give some clue as to what is happening downhole.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Well here is a few photos of the area now that I have been down here a bit.

The first couple are driving down along the beaches here in Mississippi, nobody on the beaches, no oil to speak of, every day they have about a dozen or two people walk the beaches looking for tarballs, most of the time they pick up garbage that washes ashore, not much oil. Because of the presses constant blathering about oil everywhere, the place is all but deserted because people went elsewhere over an event that to date, never was. About a week ago they had a small dose of oil that came in and about a hundred gallons was cleaned up if that much.

The water tower was when we were driving past Biloxi off of I10 headed towards Pass Christian in the area I am working the skimmer.

The one that looks like a parking garage was a Baptist Retreat that was pretty much wiped of all the walls in the compound from the Hurricane.

The last one was while we were waiting an incoming storm of which there seems to be many. Had a couple of funnel clouds come down but didn't touch as it went past.

Will post more photos later if we find oil... or just of some of the clean beaches... out of boredum...

Attachments

• Picture 522.jpg
    Picture 522.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture 517.jpg
    Picture 517.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 516.jpg
    Picture 516.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Picture 512.jpg
    Picture 512.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 65
  • Picture 521.jpg
    Picture 521.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 63

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Foggy, Frank and friends:

Thanks for the factual updates; they are definitely appreciated. All of my usual sources have dried up and I don't trust the MSM for news; if they say the sky is blue I always look to be sure! I suspect my lack of on-site news is due to Obama "leaning" on the Commandant really, really hard. What I do know is that many of the public pronouncements from ADM Allen have simply not squared with the man many of us have known over the years, and sound as if they were made under duress. It's a bitch when a good man gets put into a position where his job demands that he play politics whether right or wrong.