• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I think I'm making the right decision

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I mentioned in this thread that I was going on a 7-night Hawaiian cruise.

I don't believe I mentioned that it was an all-expense paid trip by another family member that the trip takes care of my wife and myself. The terms presented are that we (Mrs. Zoom and myself) join my siblings and their spouses and that's it. 3 couples go.

Well, I have 2 kids. My sister has 3. My sister has an x-husband and she intends on having him watch the kids for that period.

Myself, I've decided that we're not going without my kids. If I don't make the cruise, so be it...

Having never been to Hawaii, I really want to go, but I'm not leaving my kids behind. BTW, I'd pay for the kids.

Did I make the right decision?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I guess it would be easier for us to trash the place if your kids were gone:1062: :oops::alc:

And we would not have the worry about the selection of girls you got at Dargo's party either unless you order them before you go.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Although it wasn't easy, I made it a point that my kids enjoyed our cruise. They may have been the only people on the ship who enjoyed the cruise, but they had a great time. Other than telling them to go to the shops and buy stuff, I told them that they could do whatever they wanted on the cruise without any worry about the cost; just use their room key to charge the activity. Being that Princess Cruises are pathetically cheap and charge for everything but using the can, I ended up with a few grand on my tab by the time I left, (not counting the freakin' bogus tips they added for my convenience) but the kids had a great time. Without having taken my kids, the trip would have been a complete and total disaster besides a total waste of time.

It's really sad that something that I once enjoyed so much has completely gone to hell. Some other couples we spoke with told me that other cruise lines are not what they used to be either. Maybe you ought to take the line Don likes. As for me, I'll positively never take another cruise unless it's one like they used to be. The type where you are pampered and each meal is one of the best you've ever eaten. Heck, it was on my very first cruise that I had my first taste of lobster. I commented that I really liked it to the waiter, and he brought me two more! Now, you have to use your room card and sign a charge if you want even a second glass of water. I'll stop...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Did I make the right decision?
If you think it is the right thing for you & your family then the obvious answer is YES you make the right decision. How much would you regret not taking them? Seems to me based on what your wrote, you'd regret it and not enjoy the trip without them.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
How much would you regret not taking them?
It would be nice to have time off from the kids, but..

B_Skurka said:
you'd regret it and not enjoy the trip without them.
You're right.

Taking a 9+ day vacation without my kids just doesn't feel right. At their ages (5 & 9), vacations of that duration are made for family. I figure I can take vacations with just Mrs. Zoom and myself once they're adults.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Brian,

Not sure of the reason for inviting just the siblings but....If you are wiling to pay for the kids and still participate in the OTHER part then what should they care? You do what you think is right for you and your family......PERIOD.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
It would be nice to have time off from the kids, but..

You're right.

Taking a 9+ day vacation without my kids just doesn't feel right. At their ages (5 & 9), vacations of that duration are made for family. I figure I can take vacations with just Mrs. Zoom and myself once they're adults.

Boomer ,
Stand your Ground .
Your kids will be out and about soon enough and wanting to do there own thing . Enjoy the precious time you have with them. Take them !!!!
My wife and I took the family on a cruise and I would have happily stay home but, The kids had a blast . It turned out to be one of the best trips I ever had with my children and I would do it again in a heartbeat for the great memories we now have . And I hate cruises !!!
We stayed very involved in our kids lives up until they moved out . We did not go on vacations without them when they were living at home .
We never had one problem that many parents face with their children such as Drinking , dope, partying and so forth . All 3 kids are doing great and have become very responible and caring people .
I never lived like or agreed with people who hand their kids $20 and tell them "see you later" .
As you already said "the good times for You and the Mrs. will come when the kids grow up and move on ".

You offer to pay the "kids way", so your are being Up front the relative . If the other family members do not agree with the kids coming along ,than I would say "Thanks but No thanks ".

I could maybe understand a wild weekend in Vegas, gambling without the kids,, but a cruise ????????????

Just my 2 1/2 cents plus tax

BoneheadNW

Let me first say that my wife and I are dying to take a couple days and go, just the two of us, on a short camping trip. My MIL will watch our 5 and 10 year old sons. Having said that, if I were in your position I would have made the same decision. Can you trust your kids with your sister's ex? Even so, I would worry as they still are on the young side for such a long time away from you and the wife. Go with your gut.
Bone