• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kristi KT7 restoration

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Well here are a lot of assumptions but.

Assuming the engine is at 2800 rpm
And the hydro motor is the same cubic as the pump then at wide open you would get the same as the engine input 2800 rpms now the next assumption comes from a picture only of the right angle drive looks to be of bevel gear design I'm guessing 5 to 1 ratio then the next reduction comes from the clam shells. Next assumption comes from a picture counting teeth best I can looks to be double reduction of about 2.3 to 1 then the pitch of the sprocket comes from when Al had a square next to his belts looks like 6" and six pitches on the sprocket so with all that here goes

2800 divided by 5 ( right angle )=560 divided by clam shell 2.3 =244 sprocket
Rpms per minute 36" ( 6 pitches per rev ) 244x 36"=8784" per minute divided by 12 to get ft per minute = 732 x 60 minutes per hour =43920 divided by 5280
Feet per mile = 8.31 miles per hour

That's is rough without absolute verification :wink:
So to get more speed you need more rpms

After the short spin in the driveway at Big Als seeing the full stick ahead I think your really spot on. I hope to know for sure next Wens.:whistling:

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Looking at the hydro page it does say 4000 rpm on the pump/motor combo
So let's use that in the equation and see what that would do.

That would give you 11.7 mph and have more power because of the higher rpm
Area that I would recommend to check. Would be where the arms come out of the pump make sure you have full travel of these with the cable controls this will affect the speed normal travel is about 20-22.5 degrees off center

The next area you could get more rpm would be the hydro motor its self it would
Need to be the adjustable kind like the skid steers used I believe it would just bolt on. Not sure if you have enough torque if you tried to reduce at the swash plate to half the displacement but you could reduce some and maybe get It to 15mph

But I think even at the 11.7 is not terrible

Hope this all helps :smile:

I'm not a speed freak ~ speed kills, brakes and can be expensive ! I want reliable for the KT7 first…. LOL going to see about that !

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
After the short spin in the driveway at Big Als seeing the full stick ahead I think your really spot on. I hope to know for sure next Wens.:whistling:

You could always resort to what the other krusty owners have to make them go faster. Now that you have a trailer :yum: load it up and drive 70 down the freeway. :biggrin: ok you needed a laugh back to work :unsure:

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
I think these photos will show the by pass lever

Attachments

• DSC03340.jpg
    DSC03340.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 323

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
That ring is set up for the red knob that has a threaded bolt to except a screw on hook for adjustment. The hook (which is missing) grabs the ring to hold the bypass valve(I think)

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
at Leavenworth today bert says he wants to reserve a ride. so get that beast figured out so it gets over to the jamboree.
he and his wife are looking forward to seeing us.
jim

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday I got the side hill hydraulics working on both sides. Bob didn't know how to operate it.

I have some adjustments to make wight he starboard joy stick. The track wants to move while starting the cat.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure about these two valve functions ?

Attachments

• DSC03459.jpg
    DSC03459.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC03455.jpg
    DSC03455.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 248
  • DSC03458.jpg
    DSC03458.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 244

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
One looks to be the drive live brake but where's the disk? Al had one made or both but I don't see them in the picture ?

The other is the bypass we've been talking about for towing . Al thought that was the high speed function

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
One looks to be the drive live brake but where's the disk? Al had one made or both but I don't see them in the picture ?

The other is the bypass we've been talking about for towing . Al thought that was the high speed function

So we agree there is no high speed and the red handle that lifts both sides is the bypass for towing.That handle will need a nut hook to spin down the treads on the red handle.

I did not get the disc's with the cat when I bought it. Interesting how the aircraft wire is crimped onto both sides. I now see why he had the brake handle between the two seats ~ Al never finished that part. I will have to go looking for the thread where he talked about having disc made.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
You can see the 11m wrench I left on the Port side joy stick cable clamp nut , I hope the cable had just slipped…. I loosened it up and pushed the cable toward the clamp. Im hoping that will be enough to bring the cable into adjustment and stop the port track from wanting to move while at idle. If not I will just have to bend over a bit more and turn my head sideways while I remove the cable end and twist the treaded adjust connector. There doesn't real look to be a way to adjust the cable up at the joy stick side of the cable. I will look closer at that side later...

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
I finished the rewire job on the new to me tilt bed trailer today. Sweet trailer Im going to be very happy with this one. Tilt bed is the only way to go. The brakes on it had never been wired to operate. Heck I shiver to think what that fellow that sold it to me the trailer did for brakes

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It doesn't look like the driveline discs would even work. But from the picture it's hard to tell I'm thinking there must be a Interferance problem. Might be why there not on.

The bypass system has been modified from what it had. I'm not sure I like what's going on. But hopefully not needed very often to get that balanced the way it is could be tricky. I think I'd go to short cable splitter with small cable pulley or at least round rod to run over to make sure they pull straight up.

But more important make sure they are fully seated or the pumps will not preform correctly they are spring loaded inside the control block to pull down

I think when Al thought that was the high speed that's why he had intermittent
Results because one side would seat. Then next time it would not seat inside the block.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 239

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If you look at this picture I think what was originally engineered was not to pull up but to take the bar and flip it down to make it bypass but I'm thinking Al changed it because of access limitations

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 236

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Port track all tight and ready to go. Not sure why Al had not finished the adjustment. Maybe he was going to finish the lacing on that side. I will revisit the lacing later.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
If you look at this picture I think what was originally engineered was not to pull up but to take the bar and flip it down to make it bypass but I'm thinking Al changed it because of access limitations

Yes it was because of space limitations. I will take a photo of the finished installation this week.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
I am wondering what kind of gear oil these take? Anyone out there know ??:whistling:

Attachments

• DSC03428.jpg
    DSC03428.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 360

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Im shopping for new tires and tubes whats on there now is "The General 6 ply tube type Jet Rib 6.90 X 9" . Im thinking any 6 ply in that size with no tread at all might be best rounded I am thinking those track guides won't be kind to a square sidewall tire ?

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Any idea what type of fluid Al used ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 264

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
I succumed to the grease God's and went to Amazon.com to buy an electric Milwaukee grease gun. I figure I don't want to spend my time pumping that handle. Oh the joy of a vintage Tucker I had better not complain.

Milwaukee Electric Tool 2646-21CT M18 Grease Gun Kit

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I succumed to the grease God's and went to Amazon.com to buy an electric Milwaukee grease gun. I figure I don't want to spend my time pumping that handle. Oh the joy of a vintage Tucker I had better not complain.

Milwaukee Electric Tool 2646-21CT M18 Grease Gun Kit

Even with a Electric grease gun it's over a hour on a 743 Tucker :doh: