• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1975 SV200 Project

Tracks

I am newer to this forum and enjoy the postings and information posted by more experienced owners, thanks! I am currently working on a SV200 I purchased from Bogie last year. He was nice to include in the purchase the back portion of a SV252 full cab. It turned out to be rough cut just right for this application. There are now benches on both sides with lockable storage underneath. I am thinking about installing joy stick steering (from Bogie) and fuel injection.:hammer:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 710
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 688
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 697
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 706
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 687

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I almost forgot about that one. Seems to me that was a challenge to load if I recall correctly :wink:

Merry Christmas

Tracks

I am slowly working on the SV200. Took in out for a quick spin and found out quickly that about 7 inches of ice is not enough to support the machine after 3 hours, one chain saw a bobcat and one 8000 pound winch it was out.

I was a huge undertaking loading the machine and getting it balanced, but made it home ok.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I almost forgot about that one. Seems to me that was a challenge to load if I recall correctly :wink:

Merry Christmas

Well, I am glad to see that I am not the only one to pull out of the compound uniquely loaded. Not sure I ever grabbed a photo. (that is a good thing)

I love the cribbing,

that cab looks very nice on there.

Tracks

After this I pulled all the wheels off to check the bearings and replace the tires. Looks like it is getting new tires, bearings, races and seals while it is apart. Drained all of the fluids and changed them. Water only in the rear diff so that was the first one to be changed.:hammer:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 565

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am slowly working on the SV200. Took in out for a quick spin and found out quickly that about 7 inches of ice is not enough to support the machine after 3 hours,

I am marginally interested in Ice sheet data.
Couple of dumbish questions:
Did you drive out and park and the ice failed as it sat there, Or did it fail while operating, as in the wake caused a ice sheet failure.

The Army published some ice sheet data and the studies identify the compressive strength of the sheet is important as the thickness.

Dark Ice or the porous white stuff.

Mike

Tracks

Good questions, Covered in about 6 inches of snow, underneath the ice was clear. I was moving about 5-10 mph when it started to crack and drop rear first. I am sure it was the wake due to the high speed of this machine, the wake was enormous. I should read up on the ice requirements, thank you for the suggestion. Did Bombardier make a floatie option?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
all I have to say is that thing must have a heavy foot print. I have had they snow trac on as little as 3 inches of ice ,rescuing a crashed cessna170b, that was with an 18 foot car hauler attached to it. the Thiokol 2100 has sat on 8 inches ,and not fallen through , the bottom was better than twenty feet of water under me both times. mu 76 chevy pickup with rust and 33x1250's would stay on top at 4.5 inches fell through at 4 inches . I spend quite a bit of time on top of the ice around here but it is salt ice which is more pliable than fresh water ice.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
After this I pulled all the wheels off to check the bearings and replace the tires. Looks like it is getting new tires, bearings, races and seals while it is apart. Drained all of the fluids and changed them. Water only in the rear diff so that was the first one to be changed.:hammer:

I think I figured out what the problem is you must have fill the gas tank with
leaded fuel :whistling:if you would have used unleaded I think it would have much lighter :biggrin:I do remember that extra cab being fairly heavy.

But remember I did get hit in the head last week so I could just be jabbering :clap:

All is well that ends well

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, now I dont feel bad about sinking my 1402 under water on the first run as well, although I didnt know I was atop any water at all...

Its a great lesson and almost an adventure having to pull something out like that, hoping that it all will go good.

As far as ice data - this is what I've experienced a bit myself and had heard other guys talking about...

1 inch and above will hold a human (although I guess depends how heavy they are :yum:)

2 inch and above should hold a regular size ATV (quad)

4 inch should hold a regular car / light size SUV

6 inch should hold a full size truck

8 inch and above should support a F-450 Ford truck size vehicle and above...

but all those number are PER conditions and per circumstances, I for one, like to just keep things ashore if possible, personally - I dont mind getting into the icy water, must be the russian blood in me... :) :) :)

p.s. presence of a hot SAUNA is a must in those conditions :clap::clap::clap:

Tracks

I was at Boggie's Friday and picked up all new bearings, races and seals. I also picked up everything to convert it over to joystick steering, this should make it easier too use. A week ago I got 8 new tires this should just about make to lower end maintenance free for a few years. Maybe my wife will be more interested in driving it.

Snowstorm Yukon

Howdy Tracks, your cat looks sad in the water !! looks like less than 7" of ice tho ? I'm doing total rebuild on my SV200 also,have posted pics last year, just starting to do a bit more now, have engine tranny in, engine wired, new rad, new heater. I like your extended cab, can you remove easily if needed? Some pics enclosed. I just came back from working on ice road in NW terr, using Bombardier BR350, we needed 17" of ice before they let us on to plow snow off.
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_4025.JPG
    IMG_4025.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_4026.JPG
    IMG_4026.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_4024.JPG
    IMG_4024.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 341

Tracks

Love the restoration pic's, seems like every time I take something down that far I never get it done. Answers to a few previous questions I was on the move when I crossed the ice. I measured the ice from the pieces I had to cut at the edge that probably made it seem thicker. The cab can be removed via chain hoist, time to remove about 20 minutes and 4 bolts for now. It is quite heavy but I like have the space when going to the cabin, its about 3 miles in and can be deep snow for Minnesota.

Snowstorm Yukon

Hi tracks. Yes doing a complete rebuild is time consuming but fun, don't have to rush things!! Got cab on and got most things hooked up. Doing cab wiring and exhaust now. Will be gone for a while but will post when I'm back at it. Hope to get it going this spring.
Bill.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 283