• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

bend track tire quide on ST4

unclebuck4571

I recently replace some bent track tire guides only to have the same problem happen again. It seem that when I pass over a rut and there is little support for the inside part of the track there is a loud bang like mental hitting metal. I have checked all possible places for signs of metal striking metal with no success. Is my track to loose? Would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks. Bob

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to the group !

We got some real sharp guys here on FF that know anything and everythings about Snow Tracs . I would imagine one will be along shortly to help get you back up and running very soon .:smile:

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
I've got the same problem with mine however it only seems to make noise on the right side.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Take a look at yur boggies and make positive they are not up side down also check the shocks ensure one did not come loose and drop down if uou have the early model the boggie carriers are prone to getting bent and if you have the later big wheel model the guides were prone to getting tangeled in the sprokets when the track got twisted because they were so high and sppread so far apart. hope that helps can't think of any thing else at the front axle or rearthat could cause that

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Take a look at yur boggies and make positive they are not up side down also check the shocks ensure one did not come loose and drop down if uou have the early model the boggie carriers are prone to getting bent and if you have the later big wheel model the guides were prone to getting tangeled in the sprokets when the track got twisted because they were so high and sppread so far apart. hope that helps can't think of any thing else at the front axle or rearthat could cause that
ps the front bogie carriers can crack and break mine have been welded right and left

unclebuck4571

Thanks for the info. people. I have been away in the bush for 3 days so am just now replying. Have had chance to observ the guides and believe Don is right. They seem to be some how getting tangled up with the sprockets. Have 4 new bent ones from my last outing. I am not great with posting pictures but will have to learn. The st4 will be in the garage on Monday and I will keep you posted. Bob.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Uncle Buck i had to replace a 2 broken or missing guides on mine tonight so while i had it thawed and up on the rack i took a look at the axle assy with the track on and what i found was the lower piviot point on the front axle runs close to the guides about 1 inch on mine if you have a 3 band track would be closer it wouldnt take a whole lot of bearing wear to alow the axle pivot to make contact with your guides if you look under there and that is what's happening break your track and check bearings.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
here is some pics of the axle and also one at the spring support at mid frame you should check this if you have a st-4. the majority of them around here are broken or bent in this aera.

Attachments

• snake river snow trac 001.jpg
    snake river snow trac 001.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 418
  • snake river snow trac 002.jpg
    snake river snow trac 002.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 432
  • snake river snow trac 005.jpg
    snake river snow trac 005.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 428

KRC

I had the same problem of bent/ ripped off tire guides and the problem was the nuts and threads on the bolts that hold on the boggie tire. I took the nuts off put jam nuts on (they are thinner) and welded them on all the way around and smoothed the weld so there isn't the side of the nut to grab the tire guide.I also cut the bolt off so it wasn't sticking out. I pulled the bolt out put some thread lock on it and put back in. When the track falls in a rut they twist up almost vertical and the guides catch on the nut and threads sticking out of the nut. Look at the nuts and threads you will see they are cut up from the tire guides catching on them.

Also concerning Don's (any chance I can get them parts Don) about the spring support arms here is what I did

After speaking with Larry at Roughwoods I decide to reinforce the tube that supports the center of the machine. the tubes have the springs attached. I took a piece of receiver tube and cut out a 1/2 inch wide section the length of the tube. the spring mount has a little tit sticking up into the tube and it seemed simplier to me to cut out the 1/2 insection then to take the springs off. It worked fine had to sledge it in and drove it about 6 inches past the main tube frame running perpendicular to the spring frame.
Attached Images
attachment.php
attachment.php

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that is pretty much the same as what i have done on several i have pached up i found 2 od inch square tube fits perfict just drive it in with a sledge and plug weld it

unclebuck4571

I am not available continously. Have been away for a few days. Have had my ST4 in garage and hade a good look at track system. No indications of any metal on metal strikes. Took some pictures - still trying to post them, maby soom . The guides are bend forward-hooking something as they move to the rear. Adjusting track tighter hoping this will help. Any suggestions appreciated. Bob

unclebuck4571

Had some knowledgable people look at it and it would appear my front large wheels are (towed in on the top) if that is correct definition. This is causing the tire guides to catch on the sprockets as they move over the top. I will be checking this very soon and will post my results. Bob.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Had some knowledgable people look at it and it would appear my front large wheels are (towed in on the top) if that is correct definition. This is causing the tire guides to catch on the sprockets as they move over the top. I will be checking this very soon and will post my results. Bob.

Look for cracks in the axle/support that would cause them to "toed in"

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Look for cracks in the axle/support that would cause them to "toed in"
the axle and boggies attach to the sane sized axle shaft i have replaced 1 shaft already that broke and have seen several others that are bent i will likely rebuild the other side next summer with a chrome molley axle shaft turned down to size on my lathe as these parts get hammered hard and hair line cracks can develip i can't find my pics of it now but that' where i would look

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
mine has the loud BANG on the left side, we finally determined the noise is from the front small boggie wheel contacting the drive sprocket. I cant explain why the track tension increases drastically at certain times on flat even ground and causes the boggie to lurch forward and impact the sprocket but I think lengthening the chain will help. New links on order. Will let you know how it goes!
I've got the same problem with mine however it only seems to make noise on the right side.

unclebuck4571

Problem solved. The large front wheel was tilted in on the top. How this happened ? Purchased machine in England no history. The bottom inside front suspension brack bracket was cut off the frame. It had to be ground down so that the large front wheel was in the centre of the front sprockets. Then it was re-welded onto the frame. Trial run had no problems. Thanks to all for help and imput. Bob.