• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier Muskeg oil bath air filter

DynatracGuy

I just got a Muskeg tractor with the Chrysler 251 ci flathead 6 industrial engine, complete with oil bath air filter. The hose to the carberater goes to the top of the air filter with oil cup on bottom. I was able to remove the oil cup but the filter element doesn't drop out. How do I remove the element for cleaning? Call me lazy, but I don't want to waste time taking the whole air cleaner out, but I will if I have to. BTW this engine is great for this application, lots of torque at the low end.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
all the oil bath filters I have worked with have never had a servicable screen the screen is just a baffle that causes dirt to drop out and get caught in the oil at the bottom of the cup the oil at the bottom is the only servicable part if the cup has been over filled and the screen material is gummed up than wash it in stoddard solvent and air dry it only fill the cup to the oil level line with sae 30 oil this is streight out of military manuals . Be advised that a good paper filter will out preform that oil bath filter.

DynatracGuy

all the oil bath filters I have worked with have never had a servicable screen the screen is just a baffle that causes dirt to drop out and get caught in the oil at the bottom of the cup the oil at the bottom is the only servicable part if the cup has been over filled and the screen material is gummed up than wash it in stoddard solvent and air dry it only fill the cup to the oil level line with sae 30 oil this is streight out of military manuals . Be advised that a good paper filter will out preform that oil bath filter.

Thanks for the info, now I know I'm not losing my mind. I've been considering the cyclonic air filters used on ag gear. Very good for very dusty conditions. Gravel roads around here are extremely dusty in summer, crushed limestone is used.