• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Times like these you find out who your friends are...

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
Last weekend had some high school buddies of mine come up for a little cruisin around the mountain. We ended up doing more digging than anything else. Got message out to the others on the mountain and had a good showing of help show up with shovels in trade for open bar later... Fair deal in my mind.

Learned a bit more about our snow in this area. Had about 12" of fresh stuff over rained on and frozen layer then powder again. Front right track went through and under the crunchy stuff and wedged down deep. The front tip of the track was down several feet.

Ended up winching up and back after lots of digging. Then packing in front of tracks just like what you would do on sled. The other interesting thing was that once the machine got to soil it was muddy and slick. We had fallen into a bit of a runoff under the snow on top of every thing else.

Attachments

• IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 316
  • 57023712775__FC56377A-E02C-432D-B8CC-C2C734A406F2.jpg
    57023712775__FC56377A-E02C-432D-B8CC-C2C734A406F2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 322
  • 57024722537__C16FF4B2-2E17-46F3-8F2A-2B4E87388D4C.jpg
    57024722537__C16FF4B2-2E17-46F3-8F2A-2B4E87388D4C.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 325

mlang2005

Man you guys did a lot of digging!

Where was this?

Did you guys consider chaining a log across each set tracks?

I really dig this blue color on a tucker

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
Man you guys did a lot of digging!

Where was this?

Did you guys consider chaining a log across each set tracks?

I really dig this blue color on a tucker

It was on the snow mobile trail at Camp Oljato on Huntington Lake, Ca.

As far as the chaining log goes we did not consider. One track on each drive was packed with snow and the other spinning freely. Thinking now about this I’m not sure how that would have worked without tearing up belts.

Embarrassed as I am to admit, I was a little too confident with the winches I have (of which I snapped the cable on the front 15k trying to pull forward) and the “slight” oversight of forgetting the shovels at the cabin.

Thanks on the color. I kinda dig it too. Pun intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry if your already aware of this but a tow strap, shackle and snatch block are just as important as the winch. It will keep you from snapping your winch cable, ruining the gears in the winch and damaging the tree. Oh and most importantly it will allow you to winch out without so much digging( 2 snatch blocks would have gotten you to 45k-60k pulling power with your 15k winch). I also really like the blue on a Tucker. Have fun on your future adventures.

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry if your already aware of this but a tow strap, shackle and snatch block are just as important as the winch. It will keep you from snapping your winch cable, ruining the gears in the winch and damaging the tree. Oh and most importantly it will allow you to winch out without so much digging( 2 snatch blocks would have gotten you to 45k-60k pulling power with your 15k winch). I also really like the blue on a Tucker. Have fun on your future adventures.

No worries on the advice. The snatch block is what saved our butt pulling us back. I didn’t have a winch point close enough to use on the front end.

Thanks again on the color. [emoji1303]

mlang2005

The log trick probably best left to the two track cats I’d guess.

At least you weren’t 20 miles up and over the mountain haha. Don’t feel bad Ive been there.....deep snowpack and warm sunny days.... I’ve found that if it’s really bad just clean out the tracks and wait for the sun to go down and drive right out.

You guys must of picked up all the blue cans before snapping the last photos ��.

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
I know that area well,my first snowcat trip (MANY YEARS AGO!) was in an older sprite going to Florence lake. Not a good choice after a heavy snow without a blade (a lot of digging to make a flat spot for the uphill track). Tranny broke on the way out,which made for an overnight snow camp and a looong day of snow shoeing. Had to wait for summer to recover the cat. My next cat had a blade,front and rear winch recievers,lots of winch line. (along with a lot of other stuff for an overnighter). Love the blue paint and I think the model 1544 are a great machine.

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
I know that area well,my first snowcat trip (MANY YEARS AGO!) was in an older sprite going to Florence lake. Not a good choice after a heavy snow without a blade (a lot of digging to make a flat spot for the uphill track). Tranny broke on the way out,which made for an overnight snow camp and a looong day of snow shoeing. Had to wait for summer to recover the cat. My next cat had a blade,front and rear winch recievers,lots of winch line. (along with a lot of other stuff for an overnighter). Love the blue paint and I think the model 1544 are a great machine.

That’s awesome! Florence Lake! I thought I was cool making it around Huntington. [emoji1787] I am pretty certain I would have to take quite a bit of extra fuel.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well now you have the knowledge and skill to make your next outing more able.

KSA.

Air lockers are the best and worst thing you can do to a tucker..... but man would I love to have a couple.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you access Florence Lake via Kaiser Pass road Northcoast? Damn, that is some road. Bad enough in the summer.

nikos

Ktalley Learned a bit more about our snow in this area. Had about 12" of fresh stuff over rained on and frozen layer then powder again. Front right track went through and under the crunchy stuff and wedged down deep. The front tip of the track was down several feet.

The Photo with the Blue Tucker

Nikos

Attachments

• 57023712775__FC56377A-E02C-432D-B8CC-C2C734A406F2.jpg
    57023712775__FC56377A-E02C-432D-B8CC-C2C734A406F2.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 233

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes,we took the road from Huntington Lake over Kaiser pass. I've been back a couple of times since ,only now I have a tucker with a blade. No digging (or breakdowns)!

tatman

SUPER Site Supporter
Detroit locker in the back and a ARP air locker in the front. Then the traction track will not be trying to pull the dead track threw the snow. However with all four locked you have to be kind to your drive train. Transfer case and drive shafts. Not so good for sidehilling ether.