• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hi from Japan (and France)

Idris

Hi I am based in Chamonix France, but I have spent the last 2 winters running a Cat Skiing operation in Naeba Japan.

Catday.jpg

Catski.jpg

By running I mean everything. I thought I was going to be a 2nd guide and learn from those who'd already been running things.

Shortly after arriving I got give the keys to this

FirstView.jpg

A 1992 PB 240, unmodified apart form a badly molested rear arm, but also unused for the last 4 winters.

I had driven on (might have been a pb200 can't remember) back in 1992 whilst working in Switzerland as summer trail crew. But that was a hundred yards with an instructor on flat ground 25 years ago.

japanesemarkings.jpg

All the instructions were in Japanese and I don't speak it, and google translate doesn't work well on faded/shiny/irregular txt.

I got it going and figured out how to make the thing move.

The cat skiing area

003.jpg

was up a 4km (2.4miles) road that no one had driven/plowed in winter since 2003, and when this (no abandoned) ski area was running they used to truck in the cats and assemble then onsight.

MeatWork.jpg

I taught myself how to build roads, not so bad when there is a road underneath

001.jpg

Unless the weather gets nasty

Cornice.jpg

But when there is just abandoned ski pistes/runs there is a lot more unknowns

Catroad.jpg

Once I'd got that all sorted I built a passenger cabin (over in Restoration and Modification). Work out what was good skiing what sucked, where to stay out of. Teach others to drive (prepared roads only) and then run the daily operation.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
it looks good,well done.
after 2 years you should have the brush off the trails.
pb has a 24/7 number you can call for pistenbully problems.
jim

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Looks like a lot of fun in a beautiful place. Glad you joined the forum, we definitely need more cat skiing pictures and stories. How many acres do you cat ski? What's the terrain like? Does that area get a lot of snow? I really want to find a cool "snowcat job" and reading your story has inspired me to redouble my efforts. Keep the pictures coming.

Idris

it looks good,well done.
after 2 years you should have the brush off the trails.
pb has a 24/7 number you can call for pistenbully problems.
jim

We are only allowed to play with the land as is, at the moment, forestry in Niigata Prefecture won't let us cut ANYTHING.

PB told us to contact their local dealership here, due to various distributor agreements I can't call the USA (have talked to them, they told me the score) or the French (not that they would be of ANY use) help numbers.
The local dealership and I are barely talking to each other as I got pissed at them for overcharging, they got mad when I showed them they were charging 2-5 times the going rate for parts.

Idris

Looks like a lot of fun in a beautiful place. Glad you joined the forum, we definitely need more cat skiing pictures and stories. How many acres do you cat ski? What's the terrain like? Does that area get a lot of snow? I really want to find a cool "snowcat job" and reading your story has inspired me to redouble my efforts. Keep the pictures coming.

Terrain is mellow, the ski runs used to be red (single diamond) and blue. Don't know what the acreage is, but the area is 2km wide 3km deep and has 450m ( 1500ft) of vert. Off the trails is reasonably spaced mainly birch trees. The end of the day the clients normally choose to ski the 4km access road which would be a green ski run to get home.
Last winter was an average year - 12m (40ft) of snow. Snow quality is like Tahoe. Winters are short (late December to mid March) but heavy.

Not sure what's happening this coming winter. But in future there may be jobs available.

Japan is a country of great contrasts. On one hand the most technologically advanced in the world and at the same time, one foot firmly in the dark ages.

Some simple things are done in black and white in triplicate whilst others, its a sledge hammer and DIY.

Last edited:

nikos

Jobs Available
Japan winter season employment opportunities

https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-general-information/winter-season-jobs

Nikos

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to this forum !

Congrats on having the perseverance to teach yourself all the technical stuff and get to the fun stuff :)

The skiers must be Japanese speakers: do you have a translator ?

Idris

Welcome to this forum !

Congrats on having the perseverance to teach yourself all the technical stuff and get to the fun stuff :)

The skiers must be Japanese speakers: do you have a translator ?

My wife is Japanese (we met in Whistler, Canada of all places), she is a tail guide (although she claims she can't ski)

BUT most of our clients are international - we are under 2.5 hours form Tokyo.

In general the Japanese either ski piste/groomed or human powered backcountry but not much in between.

Idris

IDRIS i know that isnt the right manual for the PB240D but i think, some of the switches are common.

http://telemet.com/_manuals/Pistenbully/PB200-Europa/200-10839_en.pdf

I had driven on (might have been a pb200 can't remember) back in 1992 whilst working in Switzerland as summer trail cre.

Nikos

Thanks Nikos, I now have the same style manual for the PB240 and unfortunately most of the technical stuff is different on the newer PB200/300/400 than the older ones. Although the 240 and 200 (of old) look different they are mechanical/hydraulically more similar

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We are only allowed to play with the land as is, at the moment, forestry in Niigata Prefecture won't let us cut ANYTHING.

PB told us to contact their local dealership here, due to various distributor agreements I can't call the USA (have talked to them, they told me the score) or the French (not that they would be of ANY use) help numbers.
The local dealership and I are barely talking to each other as I got pissed at them for overcharging, they got mad when I showed them they were charging 2-5 times the going rate for parts.

my local pb parts add 40% . I have a vw industrial engine and get those at a parts store.

I have the same cat---just updated my paint and stickers last fall

Attachments

• IMG_20171218_153851717_HDR (1).jpg
    IMG_20171218_153851717_HDR (1).jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 262

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think a PB240 has more float than a Tucker 500 series (lower ground pressure).
Only a snowmaster has lower ground pressure of any production snowcat that I'm aware of? ;)

There is more than PSI to over snow travel. Back in the 80's I had the opportunity to meet up with the Mt Baily Snowcat skiing operation. I had just completed a 200+ mile trip in a 443 Tucker. There had been deep snow for many days. Mt. Bailey had a Pistonbully, I don't know which one but it was at least 12 feet wide. We tried to go to the top and after much trying could not get to the top in the PB which had a blade. We went back to the hut and I headed up with the 443, made it to the top and bladed out the area which gave the problem. We then went back with the PB and it could not float on the road I made for it. Tore it up but finally made it to the top.