• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WORST SNOWCAT STUCK! post your worst snowcat stuck pics here!

dkmclean

I told him he should trade it for a Tucker.
At least he could use it for more than 20 miles a season + he'd look COOL.

King of Obsolete

here is a ski-dozer stuck in the feloows driveway. he had not used it in a couple of years and wanted it moved. the "Wicked Winch" moved the ski-dozer no problem. we have it at buddy barry's shop. not sure what he is doing with it.

www.kingofobsolete.ca

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Attachments

• winching ski-dozer.jpg
    winching ski-dozer.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 766

darryl

Them pictures were taken on Athapap lake in Cranberry Portage MB.If the back hitch didnt get hung up on the ice the trackmaster would of been sitting in 25-30' of water.Got out through passenger door and swam to the back of the machine.Had my daughters polaris 120 ski-doo in the back when I went through the ice,pulled it out and drove it back to my house through 3 miles of slush and made it back with out to much troubles.When the slush started piling up over the hood I would just pick it up by the handle bars and move it over and keep going,I was totally impressed plus it saved me a wet 3 mile walk.We checked the ice the next morning when we went to get it out and couldnt put an 18'' chain saw bar through.Just my luck to hit a hole a bit bigger then the trackmaster on the big lake.O-well thats snowcating for you!

King of Obsolete

thansk darryl, i thought i recognized the area and the shop. where was ted p during all of this???? you were pretty lucky on the sinking.
we just had jim r (from the Double J Adventures http://kingofobsolete.ca/Newsletter10.htm ) up here trying to go to his lodge and blew the engine up on his ski-doo, so we had to go and rescue him again (this makes about 5 times)
also dan z still has the track off of his tucker, i know he has all new rubber for the machine.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

darryl

I bought the trackmaster from Jim R.It only took me 7 years to get him to sell it to me!Where does Dan hide that tucker havent seen it in a few years?

King of Obsolete

ok, that machine was at slims cabins when i delivered the bombadiers from ilford (oh it is all making sense now). you have done a bit of work on the machine since i last seen it.

the last time i was in cranberry was on the ITUNA TOUR. the tucker was on east side of his driveway. but maybe he has moved to the shiny new shed he built by the DNR.

here is a little bit of my last visit in cranberry which starts in the pas, it is part of the ITUNA TOUR which is in my soon to be released second book. (you should be able to figure out who the local people are)

The gravel road comes out to the paved highway and I turn left to head north but the scale man to the south notices me and leave the scale house in hot pursuit with the flashing lights on. That dodge truck sure must not get very good mileage the way he was driving it. When the scale man pulls me over he thinks I’m hauling an illegal load and purposely drove around the scale on the river road. He tells me to turn around and follow him back to the scale house to be fully checked out. This works out great because we now have a two car parade happening with all the flashing lights.
At the scale house the scale man checks out my new boat and says I can’t haul scrap metal like this. All scrap metal has to be cut in to small pieces and loaded in a steel sided trailer. My new boat is not scrap metal, I’m the King of Obsolete so what kind of a boat do you think I would be buying. This 40 foot steel boat is a classic and I’ll look good boating around on one of the five hot days of summer in my Speedo. For some reason the scale man did not like my reply because he must have had a quick vision of me in my Speedo. Then he says I’m trying to avoid the scale by driving on the river road. I told him that is where the boat was located “near water” and that I drove the river road because that is the way I was facing when I left the lady’s yard. If I want to avoid the scale, I would have gone to the nudity bar until you closed the scale at quitting time and then drove right by. So off we go inside the scale house and the scale man is checking out all my paper work for wide loading my new boat. He can’t find anything wrong there so he checks out my logbook and didn’t like the way I have been filling it out. He says that it looks like someone in grade 3 has been filling it out. All I said to get him mad again was “I have 12 years of schooling doesn’t mean I have grade 12”. The scale man keeps calling me a professional truck driver which I’m not because I have hemorrhoids and a bad back. I’m the King of Obsolete a hobbyist truck driver reliving trucking 32 years ago with this classic Screaming Ford. For some reason he did not like that response either.

Well after 2.5 hours of visiting with the scale man as I called it because he sure did go through the truck, trailer and paper work until he found something wrong. Plus he didn’t like any of my replies during that quality time with him either. I told him to write me up because anything you do will only boosted the ratings on my website. With that statement he decide to shut me down for 8 hours so that means I can’t drive or anything in that time frame. No problem since my cup of coffee is always half full. The marketing has now begun because lots of people seen my new boat on the semi trailer and recognized the Screaming Ford. I always travel with a box of my first book Cat Train Newsletters so let the sales begin. The scale man hints he would like a free book. Wrong because I have to sell these books to pay for the tickets you just gave me.

It was a busy afternoon at the scale house with everyone stopping by to see the King of Obsolete and his new boat. I just finished travelling for 2 days with the dragline known as the wedding ring on the semi and no one showed any interest. Buying this 40 foot steel boat was a good marketing move and I can tell already with all the interest it draws. I even set up the ladder so people could climb up and look inside the big boat. Since the scale man is a government employee he was gone right at quitting time. He said he would be back at 9:00 pm when my 8 hour shut down is finished. Sure enough he was back at 9:00 pm sharp and he was very surprised to see how many people were there in the dark to buy a book and see the new boat. I thanked him for this excellent marketing opportunity. For some reason he was not a happy camper, must have been because I didn’t have a book for him to buy because sales were good.

With it good and dark, I leave the scale with those amber lights flashing to mark the wide load for on coming traffic. This is great because the lights are better in the dark and when I arrive at my buddy’s place to spend the night. All his friends look to see what those flashing lights are all about and to come over to see my new boat. Of course I’m about 12 hours late from when I planned to arrive so these guys have had their fair share of beverage and I must now catch up to them. This was not a good plan because the next morning after a night of beverage my head really hurt for some reason. Even the sound of bacon and eggs frying up was too loud for my head. I have to drive the Screaming Ford for 10 hours to get back to the Kingdom. I can feel the pain coming on.

After numerous cups of coffees, I decide I better get the Screaming Ford started and warmed up. Oh the sound of the 8V-71 Detroit engine was way too much for my aching head. It was not music to my ears this morning. Now I see what the no-tell motel guest was complaining about yesterday morning. This is when you regret big time having all those tasty beverages the night before because of the pain the next day. I say good bye to my friends that are hurting just as much as me and head to load lumber. The lumber has been custom cut for building the cuddle cabooses for Cat Train Tours. The lumber mill is only down the road on the way home so it won’t take long to load. They guys at the lumber mill just fill my new boat up with the lumber so it is easy to haul and tie down. They were having a have good laugh at me suffering from a sore head and driving the Screaming Ford. The only way to drive the 8V-71 is you have to drive it mad. The engine is designed to “scream for mercy” to get the horse power to the maximum. So when you have a sore head that is self inflected, the “scream” is extra loud and you can’t do anything about.

When loaded up, I just get on the highway and bring the Screaming ford up to speed as quietly as I can. I look in the mirror and there is my newest best friend the scale man. Once again he is in hot pursuit with the light flashing and everything. What a nice guy he is traveling almost 2 hours one way to see if I have any more books that he could buy. When I get pulled over to the side of the highway, he wants to see my log book to see if I have graduated to a higher level of education in filling it out. No problem I said, it was done correctly and he was impressed. Next he asked where I got all the lumber that now fills my new boat. I told him the lumber mill because Safeway groceries store was sold out. Once again he was not impressed with my answers just like the day before. With that comment he told me I could not haul my lumber in my boat on my semi because of the type of licence plate on the truck. It the same license plate that has been on the truck for 15 years and today we have problem. That is when I lost it! It is “my” lumber that is in “my” boat that is on “my” semi, I own it all! Bought and paid for with hard earned beer bottle empties. There has never been a problem with the licensing of the truck until I met you today. I then told him he is not going to waste my day like he did the day before. So write me up right now so I can get home to die from the night of beverage. With a big smile on his face he gladly wrote a ticket and we parted ways.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Today the loggers started opening our county road to get to their logging area. The loggers were using a D6 Cat dozer and an all wheel drive motor grader chained on all six wheels. It got a little more exciting as the warm weather of today started the snow melting. The snow cat pic is not mine but I did end up driving it as the D6 pulled it out of the water hole where it ended up stuck. Amazing what a difference a couple hours difference in time makes in snow conditions.

County road full of snow being worked by D6 Cat dozer and grader
P4140057 (Medium).JPG

At about 2:30 the water started running across the road
P4140008 (Medium).JPG

At 5:30 we went fishing for the neighbors LMC 1200 as it sank to the bottom as he headed home
P4140035 (Medium).JPG

I managed to get the tow rope out and hooked to the snow cat without getting too wet
P4140036 (Medium).JPG

We borrowed the loggers D6 to rescue the LMC 1200 from water hole
P4140049 (Medium).JPG

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Just a note on your winch selection. You will only get the full 9k rated pull when on the very last wrap of cable on the drum. Pulling power diminishes quickly as the layers are built up. Solution? use a farther away anchor or a snatch block to double up. Of course the snatch block when used to double line pull will double the power of your winch. Or it can be used to redirect to a suitable anchor. Always use a cable dampening device on a loaded winch cable. Coat, floormat, something.

Winch rope is the only way to go. Stronger, lighter, kink resistant, etc. Only issue is abrasion resistance. That can be overcome.

Hi I know this is an old post but has anyone tried tying rope to your grousers and to a tree and drive yourself out like 2 big winches

we used cable on a dozer track-------another story I was told about a stuck pb.----a club in my area was stuck in a stream they worked all day trying to get it out and by the end of the day after listening to all the know it alls a guy came along and said I can get it out-----they said go for it---------he cut a tree a little wider than the tracks----slid it under the rear hitch chained it to each track and backed it out----they said when the log made contact with the ground it was like a jack as it backed out

mlang2005

That is genius topwelder! I’ll defiantly remember that trick, could save a guy a lot of walking or camping in the dark and cold. I think you could cut a few of them trees and toss em under as it came out if you had to cross a bigger distance.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The early Tuckers had loops on each side at the front to run wire through. The Sno-Cat instruction book said to tie the wires onto the tracks and use them as winches to pull you out of stuck. I remember doing that one time to get out of a bad side hill situation using rope. These days I prefer to not get stuck.

Sno-Surfer

I don’t think I’ve seen this thread. There are some really stuck cats in here! Impressed with all the extractions. :clap:

Well this may not look stuck (actually wasn’t stuck here but looked the same when it was stuck later in the day) but the battery had drained on me after an epic day out this weekend and 5 of us had to walk/xc ski back 8.5 miles to the truck in the dark, run home grab a battery and an old snowmobile and run back up and put another battery in it to bring it home. Made it home about midnight. Was glad to be able to get it back that night.
Moral of the story is I’m bringing an extra battery with me from now on and always glad I have my xc skis with me. Three of us had xc skis and two didn’t. The two that didn’t had a real long walk carrying all the stuff they didn’t want to leave behind. But everyone made it. :thumbup:

0BCD76E3-94BC-4A86-8048-8432F2459936.jpg

PJL

Not stuck but the engine wouldn't run anymore. Some silly thing about the cam gear slipping on the camshaft. The cat's own Braden winch can load the cat on the trailer but with a dead engine the battery would be dead very quickly. Had a guy along side with a set of long jumper cables to help keep it juiced up. But even then it was barely pulling.

The Jeep has a tiny little winch but with the pulley system he set up it worked quite well.

We were very fortunate that we could drive the trailer to the breakdown site. That particular day was a long string of mishaps. I haven't been back to that site since. It may be haunted.

Attachments

• IMG_2717.jpg
    IMG_2717.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_2718.jpg
    IMG_2718.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 506
tucker wasn't stuck but the truck was stuck out back picking up sea container

Attachments

• 2016-01-18 14.08.53.jpg
    2016-01-18 14.08.53.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 492
  • 2016-01-18 14.04.23.jpg
    2016-01-18 14.04.23.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 485

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is not your classic stuck cat but sure a go nowhere shitseyation. What a broke 543 axle housing looks like. Got it stopped before the inner axle came out. Which surely would bugger up the inner axle. AxleMasters of Portland welded it up better than new.

Attachments

• 543 broken axle.jpg
    543 broken axle.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 380
Here's one for ya. When you get a little too far over and dont know when to call it quits

Attachments

• IMG950062_20190216_120234.jpg
    IMG950062_20190216_120234.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 269

Sno-Surfer

Well this one makes me chuckle now but at the time I was going nuts. I spent hours trying to get this thing to quit lifting it's leg. I yanked on it with my truck and tried a come along to get it down to no avail. I finally put my tail between my legs and called the local experts and Sno-Drifter dropped everything and came all the way out to my house (yes I got stuck at home!) and did his Sno Cat whisper thing and it came right down. Sno Cat yoga, mating call or just lifting the leg to pee, if you find your cat doing this get ahold of Sno Drifter and I bet he can do his whisper thing over the phone now.

Attachments

• IMG-7161.JPG
    IMG-7161.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 149