• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Samsung is recalling the Galaxy Note 7 worldwide over battery problem

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Samsung is recalling the Galaxy Note 7 worldwide over battery problem

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/02/technology/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall/index.html

by Jethro Mullen and K.J. Kwon @CNNTech
September 2, 2016: 7:21 AM ET

Samsung is recalling millions of new Galaxy Note 7 smartphones worldwide after reports of the devices catching fire while charging.

The massive recall of one of Samsung's flagship devices is an embarrassing setback for the world's biggest selling smartphone maker. The Note 7 was unveiled just a month ago, and big rival Apple (AAPL, Tech30) is expected to show off its new smartphone next week.

Samsung (SSNLF) said Friday it had found a problem with the battery in some of the phones and was halting sales. In the coming weeks it will offer customers a new product for free to replace all 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7s that have been sold.

It's unclear what owners of the phones should do now. The company said it will take about two weeks to prepare the recall, and the date new products will be available will vary by country. People worried about their batteries should contact their nearest Samsung service center, it added.
South Korean news agency Yonhap had previously reported that there have been five claims around the world of Note 7s catching fire while charging. Unverified photos posted on social media showed charred devices.

Samsung, a giant South Korean company, said it had been alerted to 35 claims of faulty phones worldwide. It said it had so far found 24 devices with problems for every million sold.

U.S. mobile networks sell the Galaxy Note 7 for at least $850. At a news conference, company executives declined to comment on exactly how much replacing all the devices would cost.

"It is a big amount that is heartbreaking," said Koh Dong-jin, president of Samsung's mobile communications business.

Samsung shares fell Thursday on reports of problems with the Galaxy Note 7 battery but closed 0.6% higher Friday before the recall was confirmed.

Samsung had the biggest share of the global smartphone market in the three months to June 30, according to research firm IDC. The South Korean company had 22%, ahead of Apple's 12%.
Samsung benefited from the popularity of the Galaxy S7, IDC said, and the Galaxy Note 7 was expected to keep that momentum going into the second half of the year.

The phone was well received by reviewers, drawing attention for several unique features such as an iris scanner, which allows users to unlock the phone with their eyes.

-- Felicia Wong and Hope King contributed reporting.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
they should recall the s6 too the battery's are just crappy in them wont go an 8 hour day on a charge

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have the Samsung Galaxy S6 and I can say with 100% certainty that this will be my last smartphone.

There were rumors that Motorola was planning on bringing back an updated RAZR. That was my all time favorite phone, but the rumors were unfounded.

Flip phones on TracFone will average less then 10 bucks a month if you do not use a lot of minutes. That sounds a lot better then the $42 I'm paying now. :biggrin:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I still have the s5 and I have no complaints overall. It's still speedy fast and holds a good charge. I had thoughts on switching to a note 4 or 5 just for a bigger screen.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I would bet that the batteries are being made in China. China builds a lot of crap and then floods the world markets. They have poisoned people, animals, and the environment.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
From what I heard yesterday, the recall did not affect the 7 Note sold in China. The phones for the Chinese market used a battery from a different supplier.