• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New chain sharpener

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
I just received mine this morning . The thing works like a charm for Trueing up cutter angles and lengths. Not real inexpensive, but it works as advertised and is very well made .
Www.timberlinesharpener.com

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Just checked out the video's and it looks like it works perty slick, thanks for the heads up. I allways get sidetracked and forget where I left off sharpening by hand. :thumb:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
How many carbides did you buy? They seem pretty salty for only lasting 30 uses or more.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Just checked out the video's and it looks like it works perty slick, thanks for the heads up. I allways get sidetracked and forget where I left off sharpening by hand. :thumb:
Clean a spot on your chain with nail polish cleaner and then paint a spot with your wife's brightest color. Easy to see as you move the chain.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Clean a spot on your chain with nail polish cleaner and then paint a spot with your wife's brightest color. Easy to see as you move the chain.

I use a piece of chalk to mark where I started.
Bill, I bought two extra 7/32 and3/16 " cutters. They should do between 30-40 chains each . But, to be clear ,I bought this to clean up my hack file work . I'll still use my pferd and Stihl file guides for primary sharpening .

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, this thing brings the chain to a point of sharpness , that I can't achieve for certain! I've worked with new chains ,and ones that I've hacked on without loss of blood .
Can't say that after using the timberline . I'll be wearing gloves doing chains in future . Needless to say,I'm pleased that it works very well . P

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
It's pricy but it looks like it pretty precise. When I look at all the tools I've bought over a lifetime that cost far more and get used far less, I'm thinking one of these will probably show up sooner than later. :)

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump!I do have to add that they have added 13/64 th carbides for the Stihl chain purists . That, and their customer support is great .

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I use a magic marker to mark where I start.

That's what I use.

Nixon, I missed this thread first time around. Those things look pretty neat. They're pricey buy not too bad. I think that my present chain sharpener cost around $90 and you have to take the chain off the bar. If and when it pegs out I may replace it with one of those. Thanks.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
That's what I use.

Nixon, I missed this thread first time around. Those things look pretty neat. They're pricey buy not too bad. I think that my present chain sharpener cost around $90 and you have to take the chain off the bar. If and when it pegs out I may replace it with one of those. Thanks.

If you have any questions about it , call 208 405 2020 . When it picks up , you'll be talking to the G.M. . Great guy !

Nixon, you had a full season with the Timberline. Have you tossed away the collection of files and guides and made it your full time rig, or are you still using files for primary and Timberline for truing? I got 5 saws, it's time to get ready for cutting season, and I'm thinking there has to be a better way than sitting and cradling the kids, especially when they're hot. The log jack keeps the little stuff out of the rocks, but nobody ever misses the dirt all the time. Is the Timberline still the shizit? Any other thoughts for a long term review?

DiNCA