• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

USAF Ground Vehicle Registration Numbers

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Most USAF vehicles have a registration number on their door and/or license plate. The number is usually in the format YYUNNNNN, with YY the year the vehicle was procured, U being the intended use of the vehicle, and NNNNN being 1-5 digits identifying the serial number of the vehicle (or more correctly the order it was purchased within its 'use' group).

In a recent snocat thread there was a picture showing an old 601 with USAF markings, seen below. This sparked a memory from my time in the USAF and the vehicles I operated in AK, including a Spryte and an Imp. They both used the 'C' designation which I always thought meant 'Cargo'. This seemed to fit well with the old Dodge Carryall at my detachment having the same designation. We also had a station wagon with a 'B' designation. I thought that must have meant something like 'bus' since it was a people-mover. :yum: Well I did a little research tonight and discovered I was close, but not cigar. Here is the straight scoop on the scheme as best as I can determine without being able to locate the definitive USAF TO 36-1-3 which supposedly defines these designations.

Some of this info was taken from USAF TO 36-1-191 TECHNICAL AND MANAGERIAL REFERENCE FOR MOTOR VEHICLE MAINTENANCE and the rest from scouring the net. Credit given to the sources of courses.

Attachments

• Thiokol in Dutch Harbor I Z1.jpg
    Thiokol in Dutch Harbor I Z1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 976

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
“B” Commercial, general purpose. This category may include transport vehicles such as cars, pick ups, buses, and trucks. Generally, they are identical to the commercial version, with little or no changes for military service.

Attachments

• B - 85B8584 Plymiouth Reliant Sedan.jpg
    B - 85B8584 Plymiouth Reliant Sedan.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 942
  • B - 85B1974 Dodge Pick Up.jpg
    B - 85B1974 Dodge Pick Up.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 942
  • B - 85B438 Dodge Bus.jpg
    B - 85B438 Dodge Bus.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 924
  • B - 64B2752 GMC Semi.jpg
    B - 64B2752 GMC Semi.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 924
Last edited:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
“C” Commercial, special purpose. This category may include special or unusual vehicles such as SNOWCATS, dump trucks, drill rigs, concrete pumpers, etc. Generally, they are identical to the commercial version, with little or no changes for military service.

Attachments

• C - 67Cx476 Thikol 601.jpg
    C - 67Cx476 Thikol 601.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 933
  • C - 89C794 International S1900 Dump Truck.jpg
    C - 89C794 International S1900 Dump Truck.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 920
  • C - 88C54 International S1900 Auger.jpg
    C - 88C54 International S1900 Auger.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 922

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
“D” Commercial construction/base maintenance. This category may include graders, front-end loaders, runway sweepers, etc. Generally, they are identical to the commercial version, with little or no changes for military service.

Attachments

• D - 89D195 JD 644EH Tractor.jpg
    D - 89D195 JD 644EH Tractor.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 911
  • D - 88D1092 International S1600 Sweeper.jpg
    D - 88D1092 International S1600 Sweeper.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 916
  • D - 87D235 Danline Mashiner Sweeper (towed).jpg
    D - 87D235 Danline Mashiner Sweeper (towed).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 896

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
“E” Materials handling equipment. This category may include aircraft loaders, 'jammers', tugs, forklifts, etc. Some of this equipment may be similar to commercial equipment while some, like weapons loaders/jammers, should have no commercial equivalent! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• E - 85E637 Transact Loader.jpg
    E - 85E637 Transact Loader.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 902
  • E - 90E220 Harlan Tug Tractor.jpg
    E - 90E220 Harlan Tug Tractor.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 900

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
“K” Military, general purpose. This category may include security vehicles, trailers, etc. While this category contains vehicles that may be classified as general purpose, they are usually custom built for the military.

Attachments

• K - 87K2660 Hummer.jpg
    K - 87K2660 Hummer.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 888
  • K - 78K231 Parkhurst Trailer.jpg
    K - 78K231 Parkhurst Trailer.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 893

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
“L” Military, special purpose. This category may include fire trucks, aircraft refuellers, aircraft tractors, etc. These are usually custom built for the military.

Attachments

• L - 87L148 Oshkosh Crash Tender.jpg
    L - 87L148 Oshkosh Crash Tender.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 895
  • L - 83L249 Mack Refueller.jpg
    L - 83L249 Mack Refueller.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 875
  • L - 84L232 Grose Aircraft Tractor.jpg
    L - 84L232 Grose Aircraft Tractor.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 875

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
“M” Military construction/base maintenance. This category is apparently the same as the "D" category, but military-specific. While it's listed in the TO, darned if I can find any examples or even a complete description of what may be included in this category. If anyone spots an "M", grab me a picture, will ya?

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
“W” Vehicular type AGE. This category may include aircraft steps, de-icers, waste ('honey') trucks, etc. The description of this category excludes things like APUs and lighting carts that one might normally consider AGE because they are not self-propelled.

Attachments

• W - 89W116 Ford Steps.jpg
    W - 89W116 Ford Steps.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 869
  • W - 79W41 Ford 350 Steps.jpg
    W - 79W41 Ford 350 Steps.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 856
  • W - 85W389 Ford 800 De-icer.jpg
    W - 85W389 Ford 800 De-icer.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 877
  • W - 9W75 Ford Waste Truck.jpg
    W - 9W75 Ford Waste Truck.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 873

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
“X” Nonreportable. This category is for special purpose vehicles that do not fall into any of the other categories. In other words, the USAF shrugged. Vehicles that might be included in this category are golf carts and....and... and.... I dunno.

Attachments

• X - 93X61711 Club Car Carryall II.jpg
    X - 93X61711 Club Car Carryall II.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 851

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
There are probably a few errors and omissions in this thread/post, but they'll get ironed out.

Some vehicles seem to cross groups, like there being pick up trucks with utility beds in the "B" and "W" categories. It has to do with whether or not the particular pickup was purchased with the singular intent to be used in servicing aircraft or not. And some vehicles may have simply been mis-categorized when procured. That's how nuclear (nu-cu-lar for you Reps) detonators end up at DRMO. :thumb:

All of these pictures (except the 601) were 'borrowed' from http://fleetdata.co.uk/usafphotos.html. I have an email out to them for permission.

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
“M” Military construction/base maintenance. This category is apparently the same as the "D" category, but military-specific. While it's listed in the TO, darned if I can find any examples or even a complete description of what may be included in this category. If anyone spots an "M", grab me a picture, will ya?
I dont have a pic. but can give you an example the c-130 deployable mw24c case loader would be a good example