• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are your hobbies?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
  1. Tractoring
  2. Motorcycles (Harley-Davidson)
  3. Flying (mostly Piper products)
  4. Working (too much)
  5. Green Bay Packer fan (Yes, even this year :drink: )
  6. About to start on the new house on the 75 acres
That's about enough.

(edit) 7. Studying the Cameltoe thread...:a1:

Last edited:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tractoring (Kioti)
Motorcycles (HD)
ATV (Kawasaki & Honda)
Shotguns (Beretta, Certified Shotgun Sports Shooting Instructor/NSSA)
Golf (Wilson, Callaway & Titlest)
Labradors (Black)
Computers (Built many and the local puter 911 call)
Firewood (MTD, Johnsered, Poulan and Craftmen)
I love my job!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Playing with my kids
Tinkering on anything
Shootin' the breeze on FF
Playing with tractors, ATVs, UTVs...
Plinking

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
cj7 said:
Jeeps, tractors, railroading, model railroads

What type of model trains!!!

I have an oval Marklin Z set up in my office. Just a small one on my cradenza. I have various holiday cars and change the cars with the season.

At home I have (most still in boxes) a Marklin 1 gauge collection. All the cars are from their lower priced all metal "MAXI" collection. I don't collect production pieces, I only purchase limited run pieces, dealer display pieces, etc. And I do not buy American style pieces, I limit my stuff to European pattern pieces. I've got all the nickle plated pieces, their museum pieces and toy fair pieces from the start of the product line. I would like to set up a garden train outside but I hesitate to do it with limit edition trains. I'm giving some serious thought to a wall & ceiling mount system in my shop.

cj7

B_Skurka said:
What type of model trains!!!

I have an oval Marklin Z set up in my office. Just a small one on my cradenza. I have various holiday cars and change the cars with the season.

At home I have (most still in boxes) a Marklin 1 gauge collection. All the cars are from their lower priced all metal "MAXI" collection. I don't collect production pieces, I only purchase limited run pieces, dealer display pieces, etc. And I do not buy American style pieces, I limit my stuff to European pattern pieces. I've got all the nickle plated pieces, their museum pieces and toy fair pieces from the start of the product line. I would like to set up a garden train outside but I hesitate to do it with limit edition trains. I'm giving some serious thought to a wall & ceiling mount system in my shop.

Well right now I am not very active in the hobby but I still have my trains and will get them up in the basement someday soon.

I have HO scale. I started back in the 80's as a teenager. Built a couple of small layouts and my father and I would hang with some guys that had more developed layouts.

My father and I also have Lionel and MTH peices. We never really set much up except around Christmas but every year we did and he bought something new each year. The bulk of the collection is MPC but we still have several peices from the post-war era and some modern day. Prices have become very high though and I think that is why am am not too active right now. Spending most of my $ and time on Jeeps and fourwheeling.

Oh I know we have a few marx items too.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I love the older Marx stuff. I think that is why I also like the Marklin Maxi pieces. They have that old tin toy look about them. But I don't like the prices of any of it. My wife cringes when I buy pieces. My most recent edition was a flat car with an actual cookie on it as the payload. It is from 8 years ago and still in the package, unrun. It was made for the anniversary of a bakery (I think in Germany?) and there are very few pieces. My cookie has a crack in it, but still inside the original wrapper.

A friend of mine was a Lionel distributor, he used to ship all over the nation. When he closed his warehouse I was invited up before he sold everything off. I wondered around the aisles of train boxes, but I couldn't bring myself to buying any of it. I just wasn't interested in that size train. Its great stuff, and he had a lot of very collectable pieces that I could have bought for a song and resold, but I just didn't want to go through the effort to do that for something I really wasn't interested in.

My former partner had a large HO set up. It took up 1/2 his basement. When he died it all was willed to his son, but I suspect it is still in the basement. It was the largest HO collection I've ever seen. And his set up was amazing, absolutely complex with several mainline loops and multiple levels. He was quite a craftsman and built most of the pieces from scratch.

Chief

I would have to say

1. Tractoring
2. Cleaning/fixing up and maintaining the ranch
3. Wildlife management
4. Fishin'
5. Skeet/Sporting Clays (NSSA/NSCA Life Member) starting again after a long break
6. Very occasional hunt & more like varmint shooting (Benefactor Life NRA Member)
7. Hiking and enjoying nature

Archdean

Never really thought about it very much but am mindfull of the recent suggestion that perhaps it would be a good Idea to get a new one!!:D

Dean

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BoneheadNW said:
BC-
Where did you get the profile picture?
Bonehead
It was in the list of available ones on the forum. I think it was on the 3rd page.

If anyone is interested in Lionel train "stuff", one of my ins. agents is in to it but also sells stuff on e-bay http://stores.ebay.com/CEM-Hobbies
I have no idea if it's a deal or anything but just wanted to throw it out.

Kubota King

1.Snowmobiling
1.Atv's ( I also have an enduro which I love)
1.Skiing
1.My kids
1.my animal's (dogs & horses)
1.Work which includes a lot of Tractor time
1.Spending time with friends

I enjoy them all equally. I used to box but the wife made me quite :(!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Computers
Boating
Tractoring
ATVing ...soon to be UTVing also
Muscle cars / BIG engines (kinda goes with the boating hobby too).

I've always like trains ....but I don't have any. I might start that hobby this winter depending on how busy FF keeps me. :)

A few years back I was doing KAP (Kite Aerial Photography). Cool hobby, but a tad to dependant on the weather ....and it's expensive.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hobby? WTF is that? You all have too much free time on your hands.

I used to like computers and then they became my career. Not so sure its a hobby anymore.

I like my tractor but I think I like it because it does a lot of work for me and not just because it is a tractor.

Have a 1.5 year old, 2 year old, wife and two dogs so they eat up the remaining free time. Not really a hobby but they are more rewarding. Maybe in 20 years I'll have more free time.

I'm not really a hobby sort of guy, I'll probably just fill my free time with chores or work.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Your right there PB. 20 or even 18 years will make a world of difference. My youngest is now 22. It's awesome to be at this point with all three kids out on their own and doing great. Oh sure, they still need help (usuallly spelled cash) once in awhile but overall they are the biggest joys in our lives. Can't call that a hobby .....that's life!

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
"Farming
Fishing
Hunting"

Dang it! I forgot Boating. Thanks Doc!
And my Vette. (No, it's not a Chevette.)

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
My kids (9 & 10), tractors & construction equipment, 60's go fast cars, old honda mini-trails, fishing & boating, collecting nostalgia relating to my childhood(requires alot of time since I'm still IN my childhood !) & spending quality time with friends & family.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
BR, I think you might be a candidate to post in the pictures of your tractors thread! We want to see your rusty iron, JD tractors and old engines......really! :D

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith:: Migrated over from MTF..Wish I knew how to use Last Years HP Photo smart M407...Got lots of Junk.. This seem to be a Great Site.....Br,:thumb:

Archdean

Anyone have any interest in the advances made in Radio Controlled Aircraft?
I recently became RE- interested in this Radio Controlled Model Aircraft hobby after having spent most of my life in the full scale versions and to some extent piddling around with the early Fuel RC versions!

To my amazement the advances that have been made to the electric motors (brushless) specifically the run times and almost 100% of the battery energy able to be transferred to the propeller, not to mention the advancement of the FM handheld transmitters has me eager to spend a buck or two to try it again!

The RTF (ready to fly) and the ARF (almost ready to fly) also caught my eye as I still have a 7' wingspan balsa wood C182 with all control surfaces ready to build some 40 years later and no doubt it will be at least another 40 years before I ever get it completed!!
biggrin.gif

The new capability to do aerial photography is of special interest to me as well!!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v517/Archdean/?action=view&current=rtf.flv

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I tried Kite Aerial Photography (KAP) about 10 years ago. I never did get a rig up and working though. It cost more money than I wanted to put into it.

Archdean

Doc said:
I tried Kite Aerial Photography (KAP) about 10 years ago. I never did get a rig up and working though. It cost more money than I wanted to put into it.

As rapid as this technology has advanced and then just revisiting the idea a few days ago, I am eager to give it another whirl after 40 years or so! I'm about as new to this stuff now as one could possibly get! But when your too damn old to do the real thing this looks like it was made just for us dinosaurs.

I have a great place to do it here with the lake in front and the back 40!

Doc, with all the boat traffic passing by, who wouldn't be interested in an impromptu camel toe or two?

Another example of what is available today in all sizes and shapes. I like this one as I have more than a few thrills in this critter.... the electric brushless motor concept and the photography is what whets my appetite however!!

If anyone is interested I'll let you know how it all works out!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v517/Archdean/?action=view&current=MDT270-Cessna.flv