• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dri-Core panels

AndyM

Charter Member
Has anyone ever used this product?
http://menards.com/main/building-ma...ent/2-x-2-dri-core-panel/p-1480881-c-5710.htm
http://www.dricore.com/en/homeowner.aspx

There seems to be favorable feedback on various forums I've read, but I wonder if the wood would be susceptible to mold or mildew after more than a few years. My basement is dry, but tends to "feel" damp at times. I would think this would be a good bet to put carpet and vinyl flooring over, but I wonder if these favorable reviews would change once these people have had it several years from now.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nope. Sorry. But I'm curious to hear about it if you use it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The mill I worked at for 8 years used to make that stuff. It does make a difference in a basement. A lot less dampness and a warmer feel downstairs. Also, leaves a nice level smooth floor to lay down a nice flooring overtop.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The mill I worked at for 8 years used to make that stuff. It does make a difference in a basement. A lot less dampness and a warmer feel downstairs. Also, leaves a nice level smooth floor to lay down a nice flooring overtop.
Does moisture get trapped between this stuff and the concrete floor?

When we finished our basement, we did it the traditional way. Fixed any drainage issues outside (french drains); vapor barrier and drywall on the walls; HVAC ducts then did GOOD carpet pad and carpet. There's no dampness and since we leave the air handler fan on low speed 24/7, temp/humidity is about the same as the rest of the house.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
These are a very expensive way to deal with basement dampness. Unless you hve water flowing over the concrete, i consider them extreme measures.

First they are expensive. second you must glue themtogether or they willseparate. And finally they add 1 inch or more to the height of your floor reducing head room.

I found success laying hardboard siding panels face down over heavy poly sheets. 4'X8" panels of composit primed for outside use. They have an overlap seam you can tape together or glue making a single unified subfloor.

Carpet or finish right over this is just fine. I laid parquet down with glue. Yes, below grade. And it has worked just fine for 25 years.

Run the plastic up the studs a foot or two. Then bring a vapor barrier down inside befor application of drywall. You can run all the way to the concrete wall and cover it before you stud, which is better, just harder to do. If you do it that way, donot attach the studs to the concrete wals just build them free standing.

Never cover concrete, or studs, on both sides with barrier and you will be fine.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
From what I hear, the drycore is supposed to be water restistant so that if you do have moisture between the floor and the concrete, your flooring won't be damaged. Not entirely sure on all the details of the product. The Mill I worked in had two main lines in seperate buildings. I worked in the plywood line. The drycore was made in a separate line in another building.

AndyM

Charter Member
Does moisture get trapped between this stuff and the concrete floor?

That was my concern. I have searched and read lots of reviews on many forums where everyone posting about it loves it. I have not, however, read anything from anyone who has had it long term. Our 75 year old basement is dry after having it waterproofed a few years ago, but I worry that it won't always be completely dry... there may be that ONE storm. It is dry but "feels" damp certain times of the year, which brings up my concern of mold or mildew on the wood... but then again, I haven't seen any reports online anywhere about that. Also, the floor isn't completely even (1/8"-1/4" "bumps" here and there), which would be covered up by a level subfloor. I would feel more comfortable installing carpet over this stuff rather than on the concrete.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
These 2'X2' panels cost $7 bucks each. That is $56.00 for a 4' X 8" panel. You can use reverse batten composite siding for $18.00 a sheet and achieve a better out come.

Unless you have flowing water in your basement, I believe this stuff is overkill. And pricey.

It is also more labor intensive to install. When you are done you may still need underlayment so you will be cutting 4X8' panels anyway.

What is the minimum ceiling height in your Basement? Including any bulkheads?

There is one possible advantage to this stuff. It vents the moisture. To where, they don't say. But,,,,, You can use it to isolate and power ventilate Radon gases. I'm not sure anyone has approved this method but I see no reason why it would not work to remediate that hazard.