• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

A sad time for snowcat skiing in north Idaho

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
More environmental whacko BS. Environmentalists have been using this tactic for a while as it works and does not require strutiny, hearings, or other public input. Much of our potential energy sources are off limits due to things like polar bears, Woods Hole minnows, etc. Whole farm food sources are being allowed to dry up to protect made up somethings.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I dunno but it can't be a good thing. Looks like the enviro-wackos got the best of this situations. I think there is a huge difference between people who responsibly use land and resources (like hunters, responsible snowcat operators, etc) and the abusers who tear up land/habitat without any regard to regrowth. There are environmentalists and there are also enviro-wackos, the two should not be confused.

From their website is this little ditty:
. . . was forced out of business by the Bureau of Land Management. In Fall of 2010 our special recreation permit was revoked due to a clause in a 2007 BLM document preventing action “on or near potential wolverine denning habitat.” The BLM has defined every mountain top above tree-line in the Northern Rocky Mountains that holds snow to be potential wolverine denning habitat. No actual wolverine dens have been found anywhere near our operating area, and there is very little chance our snowcat operation endangers the elusive wolverine. The BLM’s conclusion has far reaching implications for winter recreationalists who may soon find their favorite snowmobiling or backcountry skiing area closed for the protection of potential wolverine denning habitat . . .

They are selling off their equipment.
Link => http://web.me.com/peaksnowcats/Peak_Snowcat_Liquidation/Vancat.html#14
The vancat served Peak Adventures well as our principal snowcat skiing transport. Here are a few stats: 391 Ford V8 engine rebuilt in 2008. C6 automatic transmission rebuilt 2008. Hans Hall aluminum tracks imported from Germany in mint condition. Thiokol 2100C sub chasis, OC12 rear differential rebuilt 2007. Solid foam tires, live hydraulic circuit, and the paint job is in great condition. 4182 hours.​

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 398
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 409
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 400

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I dunno but it can't be a good thing. Looks like the enviro-wackos got the best of this situations. I think there is a huge difference between people who responsibly use land and resources (like hunters, responsible snowcat operators, etc) and the abusers who tear up land/habitat without any regard to regrowth. There are environmentalists and there are also enviro-wackos, the two should not be confused.

From their website is this little ditty:
They are selling off their equipment.
Link => http://web.me.com/peaksnowcats/Peak_Snowcat_Liquidation/Vancat.html#14
The vancat served Peak Adventures well as our principal snowcat skiing transport. Here are a few stats: 391 Ford V8 engine rebuilt in 2008. C6 automatic transmission rebuilt 2008. Hans Hall aluminum tracks imported from Germany in mint condition. Thiokol 2100C sub chasis, OC12 rear differential rebuilt 2007. Solid foam tires, live hydraulic circuit, and the paint job is in great condition. 4182 hours.
a few years ago those wacko's tryed the same thing out here with a lime stone quary it could have been good falcon nesting on the face problem is if the quary was never blaste there wiuld have been no rock face also i have seen no falcons this far north.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It worked in Anwhar, all you have to do is get declared as endangered a species that has increased its numbers 6 fold since 1930, the first year that records were kept.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And yet within only a few miles as the crow flies Lookout Pass Ski resort announces a new expansion into the "backcountry"
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2010/sep/24/ski-area-plans-big-expansion/

Ah, but they do not yet have approval for that expansion, at least that is my take on the article. It looks like a "proposed" expansion. It will be interesting to see what happens with these two developments. Is one politically connected with the right organizations and the other one not? Will both be treated the same when the final word is cast? I'm also curious if this will affect other states?

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
In Anchorage's Cook Inlet here in Alaska, they are trying (maybe have) to put the Beluga Whales on the endangered species list to stop the oil drilling in the inlet that has been ongoing since the early 1900's in one form or another.

The whale populations have been dropping, there isn't any real reason for it, but the "Bblame the oil companies" is the chant. The fact that the Whales exist all over the coastal regions of Alaska doesn't mean that some didn't just swim off and join another pod. When they die, they bloat and float.... yet none are being found that would be able to prove that they are extinct.

Kinda like the big deal last year that they found nine polar bears swimming out in the Arctic Ocean, they made it sound like they were dead, they weren't though! Um, they are classified as "Marine Mammals", that is what they do... They didn't find nine polar bears dead in the water, they were swimming... We have sows that swim in over sixty miles at times with up to three cubs and they all do well, then swim back out to the ice. We see dozen every year out in open ocean, swimming. Have yet to see a dead one.

Reality is being twisted to meet radical ideals.

These are two different polar bears out swimming, have hundreds of photos of "Live" polar bears out in the water, and sunning on the beach!

Attachments

• Polar bear swimming.jpg
    Polar bear swimming.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 330
  • Polar bear swimming easily by Ooguruk Island.jpg
    Polar bear swimming easily by Ooguruk Island.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 327

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think the Cook Inlet Beluga population made the list in 08. Belugas travel long distances at will, so I would guess they just went somewhere else for a while. No real indication the world population has a problem. According to one whacko site, they needed to be put on the list as they had not rebounded as well as expected. Just another ploy to stop drilling somewhere.

Love your polar bear pics.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Ah, but they do not yet have approval for that expansion, at least that is my take on the article. It looks like a "proposed" expansion. It will be interesting to see what happens with these two developments. Is one politically connected with the right organizations and the other one not? Will both be treated the same when the final word is cast? I'm also curious if this will affect other states?
50 bucks they lobbied to have snow cat skiing shut down so there is no compitition for them.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
In Anchorage's Cook Inlet here in Alaska, they are trying (maybe have) to put the Beluga Whales on the endangered species list to stop the oil drilling in the inlet that has been ongoing since the early 1900's in one form or another.

The whale populations have been dropping, there isn't any real reason for it, but the "Bblame the oil companies" is the chant. The fact that the Whales exist all over the coastal regions of Alaska doesn't mean that some didn't just swim off and join another pod. When they die, they bloat and float.... yet none are being found that would be able to prove that they are extinct.

Kinda like the big deal last year that they found nine polar bears swimming out in the Arctic Ocean, they made it sound like they were dead, they weren't though! Um, they are classified as "Marine Mammals", that is what they do... They didn't find nine polar bears dead in the water, they were swimming... We have sows that swim in over sixty miles at times with up to three cubs and they all do well, then swim back out to the ice. We see dozen every year out in open ocean, swimming. Have yet to see a dead one.

Reality is being twisted to meet radical ideals.

These are two different polar bears out swimming, have hundreds of photos of "Live" polar bears out in the water, and sunning on the beach!
as for these 2 faced idiots its ok to put petrolium products in their subaru's when it comes from other countrys. and especialy if it comes from the middle east make them guys rich so they can blow up more buildings until we all worshop alla

Cletis

Ah, just gotta love them liberal, tree huggin @#$#@!!!

Wyoming is getting hammered by these idiots. Worse year ever with griz encounters but the idiots think we need to expand their range instead of controlling their numbers. They shut down the prairies for months because of the sage chicken (grouse) breeding season. I don't even want to get started on the wolves!!

Cletis