• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

the non perfect storm

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, Thursday I went to our mountain property as there has been some big snowstorms in that area I was excited about using the Tucker 442 this year as opposed to the Thiokol 603 I have been using. When we got close to Susanville Ca.it was warm around 50 degrees and raining hard. When we could see our mountain ( the Diamond Mountains ) snow level was on the summit and down the mountain half way so we decided to see if we could make it in the 4X4 35" Baja claws aired down with lockers and a 6" lift. The cabin is 4-5 miles off grid. the first 3 or so miles were mud soup and then some snow gradually getting deeper to about 18-24 inches of very wet heavy snow being rained on. we made it OK for about a 1/2 mile then came to a steeper hill where the truck would just buck. i tried a couple times getting a run at it but no go. We got turned around and went to town and ate then got a room as it was getting dark. Yesterday morning we got up and went for another look and decided to call it as I didnt want to abuse the pontoon tucker over 3-4 miles of mud soup with rocks mixed in and drove home. I bought the Tucker so the wife could drive it also the cab is very hot in the Thiokol when traveling but that machine doesn't care about the terrain. So the guy with a snow cat and a stout 4X4 got turned around. So I ask the snow cat community did I make the right call not driving the Tucker up there or did I do the right thing calling it off? And should I re think the Pontoon tucker and re employ the 603 with some improvements? I haven't experienced this situation up there before but I know it will happen again and its a long way to travel to turn around and go home. So can some more experienced Snow catters give me there 2 cents. Marty

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Marty

here is my 2 cents

good call to turn around

tuckers with pontoons are really, a snow only machine, though, if driven, very very slowly they can handle bare ground, and further, tuckers are truly one step above snow shoes in the over the snow food chain. tucker has serious limits when it come to everything we need a snow/all terrain cat to do when not on snow!

I would recommend a snow trac, over anything out there, very capable machine and easy to haul, comfortable, has turn signals and a steering wheel !

there is a reason why snow trac sold 3 times as many machines than tucker sold with pontoons and most importantly, no rollers to grease....

and yes, a frandee is a far better all terrain machine

again, good call

and pray for snow

Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That sounds like tracked UTV country drying mud season. Glad you didn’t put your Tucker through the pain.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
That sounds like tracked UTV country drying mud season. Glad you didn’t put your Tucker through the pain.

Thanks for the reinforcment It was reading here and a talk I had with Clyde at Tucker that kept me from driving it up anyway. It is a 4.5 hour drive up there and a hotel stay. I hated to call it but the right decision was made. I have a 4X4 mini truck maybe UTV tracks on that for a backup is the way to go. Marty

luvthemvws

What's the old expression? Discretion is the better part of valor.
If you couldn't get there in a serious, off-road 4x4, how would any form of rescue party have gotten to you? Even if you had a way to contact them?
A helicopter?

PJL

Let's see, raining sideways, poor visibility, strong winds. I'll take the snowcat.

Clear skies, no wind. Helicopter.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
That situation is the reason I like my ST. I frequently have to unload cat do to snow, go up and over hill, back to mud/gravel, 2 miles later back on snow... repeat twice before deep snow.

That being said, the st doesn't do sharp turns, deep powder, or many of the things Tuckers are known for.

But, I have to agree: Discretion is the better part of valor.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Let's see, raining sideways, poor visibility, strong winds. I'll take the snowcat.

Clear skies, no wind. Helicopter.

yeah, but look more like a John Wayne hero manning the rescue winch with your head sticking out of the copter, of which you are and thank you for all you do to save our back sides