• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

And now the other dog, $7000 emergency surgery

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowball Puff, our 8# Maltese, which has variously been referred to on this pages as CRAPWEASEL and/or NOBALLS, is at a large emergency vet clinic in Chicago today.

He was referred into that hospital by our local Vet. And when I say hospital I mean hospital. It is as well equipped as a human hospital so Snowball is in their inensive care unit. He received a blood transfusion last night, possibly 2.

This morning he will have another untra-sound, and then hopefully surgery.

I say hopefully because the other option is a very short life, maybe a couple weeks.

He has a large growth on his spleen. As of now the doctors are hoping it is not cancer. Cancer would be a death sentence. But if it is just a growth they belive it can be removed and he can have a normal remainder of his life.

The good news is that we got no phone calls during the night nor early this morning.

So we wait by the telephone. Surgery will likely be about noontime.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope for a positive outcome for your little dog...

When it rains it pours I suppose. It certainly has for you lately.:flowers:

Regards, Kirk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Geeze, sorry to hear about Snowball Puff. Sure sounds like he is getting the best possible care. Hoping for best possible outcome for him.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang Bob. You're having a really ruff week with your dogs. (pun intended)

Hoping for the best.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We just called the hospital. Snowball made it through the night, he had a blood transfusion and that went well.

We honestly don't think they were optimistic that he would have made it through the night.

But they said he is a strong little dog and is doing remarkably well.

So now we hope that the detailed ultra-sound that will happen this morning ONLY shows a turmor on his spleen:
1) - If that is the case then the prognosis is good and they proceed with surgery.
a) -- During surgery if they see nothing other than the tumor on his spleen they remove it and he will very likely lead a normal remainder of his life.
b) -- During the surgery if they DO find OTHER things (cancer), then he will not survive the surgery.​
2) - If, during the detailed ultra-sound, they find other things (mini-tumors, lesions, etc) then they may just send him home to live a few weeks before he will have to be put down due to increasing pain.​

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear about Crapweasel. Your animals are having a tough run of luck lately.

That hospital he's in sounds a lot like the one we took our "Sugar" to have three vertebrae in her back fused together. It was an amazing place but not cheap and prices seem to have increased some since that time.

I've got my fingers crossed for the poor little thing and I'm hoping that the news is GOOD news.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do they sell doggy animal insurance?

Y'all got me paranoid now. My dog is 7 and AFAIK is healthy but although a member of the family, I wonder if or where I'd draw a financial line. I wouldn't let my family clear the bank accounts to keep me going if it looks terminal.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well we got the worst possible news.

Drove back up to Chicago to say goodbye to the smallest dog with the biggest personality I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. He was a great friend.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Aww Bob I'm sorry to hear that news. You guys might remember the dog Buddy I had and the trouble I had letting him go. It was real hard as I know you are feeling the same way.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry for your loss Bob. You did everything possible to give him more time. Sorry it did not work out. :(

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's really getting hard to respond to these kind of tragedies. Remember his love Bob ........... !

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm so sorry to read this news Bob. I have had a love for animals ever since I can remember. Absolutely nothing can make me feel better when I am mourning the loss of a beloved pet. I always swear that I won't go through that pain again. Then it always happens to me again. No pet is ever 'replaced' in my mind. I suppose the only way I can put it into words is that I end up starting a journey with a new friend. I know only too well that no words can help, so I will not be stupid and try. Just know you have my sincere sympathy.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm so sorry to read this news Bob. I have had a love for animals ever since I can remember. Absolutely nothing can make me feel better when I am mourning the loss of a beloved pet. I always swear that I won't go through that pain again. Then it always happens to me again. No pet is ever 'replaced' in my mind. I suppose the only way I can put it into words is that I end up starting a journey with a new friend. I know only too well that no words can help, so I will not be stupid and try. Just know you have my sincere sympathy.

Thanks Brent.

Its been pretty tough around our house without Snowball. He was a mean little shit of a dog who would protect us from whatever evil happened to be nearby, even if that was just one of my daughters friends. Tiny little 7#9oz beast. But damn did he grow on us. And he ran the household as if it was his.

Misha misses him too. They ALWAYS went outside together.

And Misha clearly has her own problems. The diabetes seems to be managable, we give her insulin shots at 8am/8pm daily. We seem to have found a dosage that keeps her withing a reasonable range.

BUT the bigger issue with Misha now seems to be the degenerative disorder that is affecting her rear legs. There is no cure. It seems to be moving along slowly and she is already an elderly dog. Our HOPE is that she dies naturally before she loses total use/control of her rear legs. The normal course of action with this disorder is to allow it to progress and then put the dog down. But given her advanced age there is a MODEST possibility that she could peacefully die before the disorder forces us to put her down before her time.