• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Best used truck?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Truck is looking good. I installed chrome mirrors. Handle grips. Tail light covers. And the tonneau. :cool:

e159a03c08c5a4f6513e438d1a90fa2b.jpg
2c3daaa90d67af4db7c595e7c14349ce.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's obvious that the ford f150 was designed by an engineer and not a mechanic.:hammer: I decided to change out the coils on mine since after doing some research online, I discovered that a problem was brewing with my truck.

Symptoms: at around 60-70kmph it would shudder and spit n sputter in OD. I thought at first it was a tranny problem. Changed out the transmission fluid and filter. No sign of damage there. So it must be electrical. Read online that a common problem with the fords is an intermitant shuddering caused by faulty coils. So I decided to order a set and change them. Good thing I did. I found that one had a crack in the plastic head and another had an electrode that was barely holding on. I changed them out with a new set I ordered on ebay. Cost for the set of coils through the dealer is approx $450 plus the guberments share. If I had the stealership install them they were charging 4hrs labor.

So I decided to take a chance and order a set on ebay for $60 for all 8. I installed them myself last night. The back ones were terrible. Only a couple inches to move your hand and wrench back there near the firewall.
41baecMKDtL._SY300_.jpg

The truck runs great now. I took it for a ride after swapping out the old coils with the new ones and tried to simulate the problem I was having but she ran great. No more shuddering. I made sure to use dialectric grease on the new coils before installing them to provide additional insulation to protect against moisture.

I had a simular problem with my 06 F-150. I was diving along at about 65 and all of a sudden the truck started shuddering as if the transmission was going to fall out. I pulled over and the check engine light came on. Once I got going again I could hardly go faster than 50 and it shook and stuttered something terrible. I ended up replacing the coils like you did with ebay parts and it wasn't overly difficult but yes the back ones were a little tight. My coils came with dielectric grease in them already.
The engine ran better but there was still an intermittent hesitation when accelerating around 45 so I finally took it to the dealer for that and some other problems covered under my extended warranty. They found a bad plug even though I had them replace all the plugs less than 20,000 miles and less than 2 years before. With as violently as the engine ran with a bad coil I guess it shouldn't surprise me that it screwed up a plug.
I really like the truck to drive but I have had my fair share of issues with it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That's the Achilles heel of the Ford's with the 5. 4. Stupid coil and plug setup. Heard problems about the cam phasers as well. Thankfully mine has been alright in that department.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
For those wondering what a faulty coil looks like for a ford f150 here's a couple I had that were messed. One had the insulation all split allowing moisture and the other had a cracked electrode.

53a51eaf9a5672f6c8cdf4f45dbb93ed.jpg

That's the Achilles heel of the Ford's with the 5. 4. Stupid coil and plug setup. Heard problems about the cam phasers as well. Thankfully mine has been alright in that department.

Mine had a pretty good ticking noise from the engine and I was sure it was the dreaded cam phaser. I had done a lot of research on the problem and was sure I was headed down that road. It looks like it was the bad spark plug because now the engine is running good and no tick. Thank goodness I hate that noise. I am getting 15mpg with mostly highway driving at 65mph.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Never calculated my mpg. I figure it takes what it takes. It gets better than my old Chevy Silverado with the 5.3. I could only squeeze 600kms on a tank on the highway. With the ford I can do over 700.
That's a far cry better than the durango that could barely squeeze 450 on the highway with only a slightly smaller tank.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Hauled the camper in from camp today to stock up for the summer. The ford impressed me. I was extremely happy with the power and handling at highway speeds. Handled it much better than my previous chevy quad cab. There was a bad crossing and I barely felt it on the back.

Attachments

• 20150503_171158.jpg
    20150503_171158.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 132

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Fast forward a year. So far no major problems with the Ford aside from regular maintenance. I recently swapped out the tires since I wasn't impressed with the traction in any kind of snow. I changed the coils a while back just for good measure since I heard so many horror stories of coil failures on the 5.4. Fast forward to today.

I had a meeting this afternoon and when I fired up the truck it started running rough. The engine light came on. I scanned it when I got home. Misfire on the number 5 cylinder. I pulled the coil and replaced it with new one I had on the spare parts shelf in the garage. Still the same. The coil I pulled was all brown in color. Almost guaranteed the plug is bad. So she's booked in at the stealership Monday morning to change the plugs. Still cheaper than a new truck.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
ford had their own bs maintenance schedule for spark plug replacement. I recently pulled a couple with 3/32nd inch gap it was still running. the real problem comes if you build up carbon deposits on the threads that extend into the cylinder, when the plugs are removed, it takes the threads in the head out with it. likely a good thing you chose the products dealership as they are quite used to this problem. sometimes the corner repair shps have their own way of dealing with this problem and cost's a lot more in the long run

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah. That wasn't a job I was prepared to do. Most garages around here kringe when they see a 5.4 come in and usually send them to the dealer anyway. Ford really dropped the ball when designing this engine. Performance wise I can't complain. It pulls better than the 5.3 in my Chevy from before. I just need it fixed and reliable for next weekend.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
cam phazers were another common problem with those engines if you here a little tick like a lifter get it fixed quick its not a lifter. a phazer coming loose will take out the head and camshaft in no time flat.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep. I don't think I'll have this truck for much longer anyways. I'm starting to shop around for a replacement to get an idea on prices etc for what I can afford. I'd say 6 months to a year and I'll have a newer truck. It's a waiting game right now. I don't put on the mileage I used to anyways. Maybe 20k kms a year. And a good chunk of that is going to camp in the summer.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
cam phazers were another common problem with those engines if you here a little tick like a lifter get it fixed quick its not a lifter. a phazer coming loose will take out the head and camshaft in no time flat.
You jinxed it. Lol. Yes, the ole girl has a bad case of ford-itis now. I'm shopping around for a replacement. She's developed a bad tick and won't idle on all 8 cylinders. Funny how it went without warning. Running perfect last week. So since she's only worth about 8k now I can't see spending 3k to fix it plus the plug job I already did this week. Gets to a point where you have to cut your losses and walk away.

Have you had any experience /problems with the newer dodge 1500? I figure it doesn't matter what name is on the hood nowadays. They all have their issues. I know Chevy could never make a wheel bearing last more than 70k. Ford has their 5.4l engine issue. Past dodges couldn't keep the front end suspension together.

What would you recommend? Here's the criteria. Needs the bigger engine. 6 seater. 6ft box.

jwstewar

You jinxed it. Lol. Yes, the ole girl has a bad case of ford-itis now. I'm shopping around for a replacement. She's developed a bad tick and won't idle on all 8 cylinders. Funny how it went without warning. Running perfect last week. So since she's only worth about 8k now I can't see spending 3k to fix it plus the plug job I already did this week. Gets to a point where you have to cut your losses and walk away.

Have you had any experience /problems with the newer dodge 1500? I figure it doesn't matter what name is on the hood nowadays. They all have their issues. I know Chevy could never make a wheel bearing last more than 70k. Ford has their 5.4l engine issue. Past dodges couldn't keep the front end suspension together.

What would you recommend? Here's the criteria. Needs the bigger engine. 6 seater. 6ft box.

I have yet to put a wheel bearing in any of my GM trucks. Replaced a few in Fords for folks. My current Silverado has 135k on it. Only a couple sets of rear brakes and one front, and a water pump. That is it for mechanical repairs and it seldom leaves the yard without towing or hauling something including our 10k lb camper.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter

for the shop we have a 2000 2500, had to replace the engine and trans after we gt it picked it up state surplus so we got it right. this isn't really dodge country, just a hand full around here. the only real problems I have seen is trans issues related to using the wrong atf. the new Chrysler products need to use plus 4 synthetic atf. the 4.7 v8 is a pretty potent engine, and the hemmi with the 468 operation are getting over 20mpg highway. the chevy products all have their mil lights on on the dash and flex fuel chevys if not driven right will have to have the alchol sensor reset or gas milage will suffer. fords have a shift fork in the front diff prone to failure and need the front axle removed to fix it the chev automatic 4wd t- case will wear out the clutches and is an expensive rebuild. best suggestion buy low milage unless it is a great deal of the big 3 I think right now dodge has their shit together. haven't liked ford offerings since 79 and if the chevy products didn't have such a sensitive obd 2 system I believe they might be a pretty good truck.

While I generally like my 06 F-150 it has had it's share of issues. Right now it has the cam phaser tic and it is getting worse. I have read up on the fix and it looks like there are some after market parts that are better designed than the OEM. Not like I need another project.:sad:

I had the entire exhaust system(except muffler) from the cad convertor back just replaced from complete rust out but it must of been after market as the OEM is a one piece and mine was not. The guy at Midas said the RH exhaust manifold was also cracked and said that Ford will have plenty in stock as they all end up cracking. It was cheaper to have Midas do the work than buy the parts myself and also not all parts were available from NAPA and others. Was kind of weird to have a parts store tell me exhaust parts were unavailable for my truck.:hammer: Ford Dealer? Forget about it$$$$$$$

My 1994 F-350 CC went 250+ miles with very few issues before the 5.8 gas blew a head gasket. I am seriously considering selling the F-150 and putting a crate motor and trans into the F-350. It rides like a cadillac and both my wife and I liked it better for traveling. Has ok power for work and I think they are a sharp looking truck.

I personally thing most trucks and equipment made in the 90s were generally the best running and most reliable. They had just enough electronic over mechanical, like EFI, to make operation of the engine better but not so much that they became a nightmare to diagnose. The newer the machine the more electronic crap they put on it that is hard to diagnose, even for the "experts" and repair usually consists of R&R as most electronics are sealed and non repairable.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I will agree Randy I have an 89 dodge with a cummins turbo diesel I'm planning a rebuild on. I originally intended to keep it 20 years but all the electronics now days I would rather rebuild what I have. we just bought some 16 gmc trucks for the fleet so far they seem like some pretty good trucks I suppose time will tell. the half ton dodges now have a torsion bar ifs system the 06 I worked on was a real dream to change the trans on, not like a chevy or ford.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Good info guys. I was only minutes away from heading down to a dealership in town and making a deal on a 2012 dodge 1500. On my way there I figured I might as well stop at the Ford dealership and pick their brains on what could possibly be wrong. They had originally given me the wrong info before. My scanner said a misfire in cylinder #1. The firing order they gave me originally showed cylinder 1 being closest to the driver near the firewall. Oops. They had it reversed. Cylinder one is passenger side farthest forward. So I came home and pulled the coil and removed the spark plug to check it just to ensure it wasn't fowled. All good so I installed my last spare coil to replace the faulty one then crossed my fingers and turned the key. Success. She's running good now. So I called to cancel the rental I had booked for this weekend and took her for a spin. Aside from the exhaust leak in the passenger manifold she runs like new again. I've been very cautious with this truck. In the 20k I've put on her since 2015 I've done all the fluids and stayed on top of the regular maintenance stuff.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Don,

I just picked up an 04 F250 with the V10 - 68k miles. It seems mechanically sound do you have much experience with these? Anything to look out for?

PB

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
just remember repairs usually are cheaper than payments
It's when you have payments combined with repairs that kills the wallet. I shouldn't complain though. I've been lucky so far. Other than regular maintenance the Ford hasn't cost me anything and the payments on a used truck are much lower than a new one.

What killed me with my Chevy was when the payments were 750 a month and I was going through a divorce. The warranty was just up and things started breaking. So now try to come up with the cash to fix it meanwhile making big payments. This is why I prefer buying something around 5 yrs old. Payments are much less.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Don,

I just picked up an 04 F250 with the V10 - 68k miles. It seems mechanically sound do you have much experience with these? Anything to look out for?

PB
I'm getting ready to go out and do some diagnosis on one I sent out the lappad to pull codes shows miss fire on all cylinders on right hand bank I suspect plugged pre cat on the right side identifix shows 10 confirmed fixes for that problem all being a plugged cat. other than being a gas hogg, most folks have had pretty good service around here from the few that are here.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
It's when you have payments combined with repairs that kills the wallet. I shouldn't complain though. I've been lucky so far. Other than regular maintenance the Ford hasn't cost me anything and the payments on a used truck are much lower than a new one.

What killed me with my Chevy was when the payments were 750 a month and I was going through a divorce. The warranty was just up and things started breaking. So now try to come up with the cash to fix it meanwhile making big payments. This is why I prefer buying something around 5 yrs old. Payments are much less.

I haven't bought new since 1989 wife wants a new broom it aint going to happen unless she can pay for it and its paid off before the warrantee is up.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm getting ready to go out and do some diagnosis on one I sent out the lappad to pull codes shows miss fire on all cylinders on right hand bank I suspect plugged pre cat on the right side identifix shows 10 confirmed fixes for that problem all being a plugged cat. other than being a gas hogg, most folks have had pretty good service around here from the few that are here.

Thanks - I don't drive it that much so the gas hog part I can deal with. I bought an Obd2 scanner for my phone while I was shopping for trucks. It was invaluable along with all the research and repair sites these days. Makes it much easier to know what you are buying.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know about the f250's, the 150's had a problem with a leak below the windshield, that dripped on the generic electronic module . pull the plug check for water damage, than re plug, and seal with generous amounts of dielectric grease some thing for ford owners to chew on. the GEM is kind of an interface so all the modules can talk together will affect lights climate control and electronic 4x4

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
We have a 2001 F250 4X4 Super Duty Lariat that we purchased new with the V-10 engine. It has about 64K miles on the odometer now. I also had a 2006 F350 King Ranch with the 6.0 diesel POS. I kept the V-10 and dumped the F350 POS for a Subaru outback. The V-10 is a gas hog and cannot pass up a gas station but the engine and truck has cost me basically 0 in maintenance costs to date. It is often parked for extended lengths of time and used seldom except for cabin trips during the winter. If you read about the V-10 engine most knowledgeable people say it is bullet proof and will go easily 200K+ miles with minimum maintenance. Many motor homes use the V10 as their base engine. It is not a power house and runs best with a high octane fuel. My mileage is also better with the high octane fuel. For your use I think it was a great choice.

I went looking for a half ton recently thinking I could get better mileage and discovered with a V8 or hi output 6 your only looking at 18 to 22 mpg at best on highway. We will drive the V-10 and spend the extra for fuel as needed for out limited use. I am getting in the range of 8mpg to 12 mpg towing to about 14 to maybe 16 mpg with tail wind and no trailer on my V10 F250 4 wheel drive at 70mph. I do have a 100 gallon extra fuel tank in the box so fill ups can be extended as needed. :biggrin:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks mtntopper. I tried a few of the V-8 F250's but they seemed under powered and from what I can tell their mileage isn't much better due to how much harder they have to work. I'm not a fan of the modern diesel - too much extra emissions crap to maintain or break.

This truck has cleaned up nicely and looks like it will work great for the occasional back roads trip and hauling chores. Now that my kids are bigger the crew cab is nice. Tons of room.

I would probably want an extra tank or some gas cans if I was planning a long trip - it is a thirsty beast.

k-dog

I've got a 2012 F250 with 6.2 L gas and it has plenty of power but the mileage isn't the greatest. I tow a loaded 14,000 pound dump trailer with little problem. Using the tow haul mode makes a huge difference as it changes shift points and also uses engine braking. I haven't had any problems with it to date but like I said the mileage is not the best. I only get 12 mpg unloaded but the wife did get 16mpg on a trip. It is easy to go over the speed limit and not even realize it though.

I did have a deer issue but that is a whole other story and was no fault of the truck at all.