• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anti-Whaling ship collides with Japanese Whaler? Then sinks!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The video appears to show the Sea Shepherd's boat running into the Japanese ship, but the crew of the protest boat claims the whaling ship aimed at their boat. You decide?

It sure looks like (if you watch the wake of the Sea Shepherd) that the small boat screwed up and drove right into the path/side of the Japanese. In fact as I watch the video it appears to me the boat is idle in the water, then accelerates into the whaling ship :hammer:

Now I'm no naval expert, but it strikes me that the larger whaling ship could not change course on a dime and aim at this little boat. JMO

2 different videos:
http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/17481983

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/17481983#video=17485827

Boat damaged in anti-whaling clash in Antarctica

By ROHAN SULLIVAN, Associated Press Writer
2 hrs 10 mins ago

SYDNEY – A conservation group's boat had its bow sheared off and was taking on water Wednesday after it was struck by a Japanese whaling ship in the frigid waters off Antarctica, the group said.

The boat's six crew members were safely transferred to another of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's vessels, the newly commissioned Bob Barker. The boat is named for the American game show host who donated $5 million to buy it.

The clash was the most serious in the past several years, during which the Sea Shepherd has sent vessels into far-southern waters to try to harass the Japanese fleet into ceasing its annual whale hunt. Clashes using hand-thrown stink bombs, ropes meant to tangle propellers and high-tech sound equipment have been common in recent years, and crashes between ships have sometimes occurred.

The society said its vessel Ady Gil — a high-tech speedboat that resembles a stealth bomber — was hit by the Japanese ship the Shonan Maru near Commonwealth Bay and had about 10 feet (three meters) of its bow knocked off.

Locky Maclean, the first mate of the society's lead ship, said one crewman from New Zealand appeared to have suffered two cracked ribs, but the others were uninjured. The crew members were safely transferred to the group's third vessel, though the Ady Gil's captain remained on board to see what could be salvaged, he said.

The group accused the Japanese ship of deliberately ramming the Ady Gil. "They were stopped dead in the water when the incident occurred," Maclean told The Associated Press of the Ady Gil. He spoke by satellite phone from the ship, the Steve Irwin.

"When they realized that the Shonan Maru was aiming right for them, they tried to go into reverse to get the bow out of the way but it was too late. The Shonan Maru made a course correction and plowed directly into the front end of the boat," he said.

Glenn Inwood, a New Zealand-based spokesman for the Institute of Cetacean Research, the Japanese government-linked body that carries out the hunt, disputed Sea Shepherd's account, saying video shot from the whaler showed the conservationists' boat moving toward the whaler just before the collision.

"The Shonan Maru steams to port to avoid a collision. I guess they, the Ady Gil, miscalculated," Inwood told The Associated Press. "Sea Shepherd claims that the Shonan Maru has rammed the Ady Gil and cut it in half — its claim is just not vindicated by the video."

Japan's Fisheries Agency said it was still checking details about the clash. Spokesman Toshinori Uoya said there were no injuries on the Japanese side.

It was not immediately clear what would happen to the Ady Gil. Sea Shepherd said in a statement posted on its Web site that the boat was "believed to be sinking and chances of salvage are very grim."

Sea Shepherd sends boats to Antarctic waters each southern summer to try to stop the Japanese whaling fleet from killing whales under what it calls a scientific whaling program. Conservationists and many countries say the program is a front for commercial whaling.

Each side routinely accuses the other of dangerous activity during what has become a cat-and-mouse chase in one of the world's most remote regions.​

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
AFAIK, that ship would have the right-of-way. That little vessel is more maneuverable and therefore has to yield to the larger craft.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
With both vessels underway smaller vessels give way to the larger. If the smaller vessel is not underway then the larger vessel should take measures to avoid the standing vessel. The smaller one was obviously underway, just trying to cause trouble. It appears they got close and then stopped trying to not be underway and set up the Japanese vessel. Kinda like a pik in basketball. They lost. The smaller vessel appears to be at fault from what I saw.

Good for the whalers taking video. They knew what the protest boat was up to.

Sure looked like an expensive boat for an anti whaling vessel. I bet that thing cost a couple hundred grand anyway.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sure looked like an expensive boat for an anti whaling vessel. I bet that thing cost a couple hundred grand anyway.

NOPE it cost $5,000,000.00 :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:eek: Crazy. Where do they get money like that? :eek:

Bob Barker donated the $5Million dollars to buy the boat, they bought it and named it after him. I wonder if they could even get any sort of insurance on a boat that is designed to harass legitimate, even if politically incorrect, vessels!?!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice of the whaling ship to give them a little hose down on the way by just in case there was a fire or anything. ;)

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I am pleased the UK dont hunt whales but at the same time i would never intervene in others fishing habits....thats up to them.

The Bat mobile was wrecked due to bad navigation on the protesters part.....what a Twat.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
That show really pisses me off . These guys are going out and endangering peoples lives . The capt is a friggin idiot . I say tie the capt to the hull and ram the whaling ship to prove how much he loves his whales . He is in it for the glory and the friggin money only . Drama Drama Drama

richard86

Bob Barker donated the $5Million dollars to buy the boat, they bought it and named it after him. I wonder if they could even get any sort of insurance on a boat that is designed to harass legitimate, even if politically incorrect, vessels!?!

Actually the 5 million Bob Barker donated went to buy a different boat. Here's the story on this one.Los Angeles, CA- At a fundraising event in Los Angeles on Saturday, October 17th, 2009, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society unveiled their newest ocean defense vessel: the Ady Gil. The vessel, previously known as the Earthrace, is a fast, futuristic looking trimaran that recently set the world record for global circumnavigation. The vessel renaming reflects the ship’s benefactor, Ady Gil, who helped acquire the vessel.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
If these idiots care SOOOOOO much about semi-intelligent mamals and are willing to put themselves in harms way, why dont they help stop gang disputes in the inner city? Bunch of freakin snapper heads.

Galvatron

If these idiots care SOOOOOO much about semi-intelligent mamals and are willing to put themselves in harms way, why dont they help stop gang disputes in the inner city? Bunch of freakin snapper heads.

Gangs in inner cities are below semi-intelligent mammals.....beyond help:yum::yum::yum:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Looks like the anti-whalers weren't so innocent. They were also shooting arrows at the whaling ship:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpx--tQG4Qs&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Sea Shepherd shot the arrow which can kill a person from the Ady Gil. キチガイにボウガン[/ame]

daedong

I am pleased the UK dont hunt whales but at the same time i would never intervene in others fishing habits....thats up to them.

Its not quite so simple, They do stray into Australian Territory waters and it is believed they have taken large numbers at times in those waters.

It is our back yard they are destroying, many of these whales play a vital part in the marine ecosystem around our coast.

There needs to be greater international protection of marine life in general and I guess if the international community (including our Government) allow abuse of these waters there will be individual organizations that will take action into there own hands, right or wrong.

Galvatron

Its not quite so simple, They do stray into Australian Territory waters and it is believed they have taken large numbers at times in those waters.

It is our back yard they are destroying, many of these whales play a vital part in the marine ecosystem around our coast.

There needs to be greater international protection of marine life in general and I guess if the international community (including our Government) allow abuse of these waters there will be individual organizations that will take action into there own hands, right or wrong.

Straying into your waters is another thing all together...that is disrespecting your nations laws and the whalers should have their ships impounded or maybe even sunk....i agree 100% on your view Vin.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
The assholes were dragging a line behind them in an attempt to foul the ships propellers, then when they were close to the ship, you can see the trihulled boat hit the power and drove into the Whaling ship, real class act for stupidity...

Even more reason they should put a .50 cal on the Japanese ship to blow the pirates out of the water. When they shot arrows, that was the final act, the protesters were no longer "Peaceful", they were in fact Pirates by every definition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGMt22r_I8&feature=player_embedded#at=138

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
When they tried to blind them with a laser it was no longer a protest but an act of aggression against the ship. Should have left them for their own boats to pick up!