• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Road Construction ?????

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I just spent the last week rebuilding a road for a good friend .:sad: What a mess .Trees too close to the ditch drainage . No drainage in most areas .Highs and lows everywhere . It was like riding a rollercoaster . No crown on the road .No compaction . Where the road came off the highway , it had to be built up 18" or risk the danger of tearing off your rear car bumper .:sad:

The #1 destroyer of gravel roads is water and poor drainage . It can take out a road in 20 minutes . Start with 2"x3' crushed base rock and then finish with 1" topping rock and compact for a smooth finish . We now have a road going in that a 40' semi could use . I am sore as hell but happy .

If you have never built a road before , take the time to seek out a pro for tips before you start . It will save you a ton of money in the long run . :smile:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 3/4 mile dirt road I just had bulldozed and drainage pipes put under the road in three problem spots. One problem area near the river had a rock as big as the dozer that he could not budge. So the road is narrow there with a sharp drop off. If necessary I will have to rent an end loader w/ a jack hammer that can bust up at least half of the beast.
What I'm missing is the bed of gravel. I wish I could afford to lay gravel alll the way but that is not feasible at this point. I have 11 ton of 2" crushed rock that I am putting in spots but it seems futile. I really need it everywhere.
Wish you were my neighbor Al. :thumb:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Make sure you put some road cloth under those rocks Doc or they'll sink and disappear.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, they sure do disappear. Road cloth? Where does one get that? New to me.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
When I added to our road I asked the guy I bought the stone from. The stone place had it.

Jim

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Like Jim said, order a roll when you order your stone. They throw it in the truck.

Any road construction place should have it. I buy rolls and use it for a lot of things. I just used some as a weed block material in the vegetable garden. 12' wide so you roll it out, cut some holes at intervals to put your plants in and give it some weight around the edges so it can't blow.

Here's what it looks like.
R0013593Last-loads-of-stone.jpg