• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Country Strong

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lets say it has been a few years since I went to the movies especially opening week but I saw the preview for this earlier this week.

All the stars fell in alignment with our schedules watching the grand kids and work and I took my wife to see it it was great!!!!

A good review is here

country-strong-movie-review-gwyneth-paltrow-hits-a-high-note-photo-1

http://www.examiner.com/movie-tv-dv...eview-gwyneth-paltrow-hits-a-high-note-review

'Country Strong' stars Gwyneth Paltrow, Tim McGraw, Garrett Hedlund (Tron) and Leighton Meester (Date Night).
Directed by Shana Feste and produced by Tobey Maguire (that's right, Spider-Man is a little bit country).
Country singing superstar Kelly Canter (Paltrow) is in rehab due to heavy drinking. During a concert in Dallas Kelly, (who's alcohol level is .019), falls off stage. The singer is five months pregnant.
During her stay in rehab Kelly meets the charming, handsome singer Beau (who also is an orderly at the hospital). Beau sings at a small club on the weekend. He sings for the love of singing to people, he has no loftier ambitions. However, the former 'Miss Dallas', Chiles Stanton (Meester) wants the fame and everything that goes with her 15 minutes.
Kelly's husband who is also her manager gets her released from rehab early.
Beau and Kelly had gotten 'close' while she was in the hospital. Watching her walk out the door with her husband James was not to Beau's liking. James ends up hiring Beau to go on a small three stop tour, the last stop being Dallas...the site of tragedy for Kelly and James. Chiles also gets her chance to appear during the tour. Off the three singers, one manager husband and a small bird named 'Loretta Lynn' go to rebuild what Kelly tore down with her drinking.
Gwyneth Paltrow has never been one of the actresses I follow, however she will be after this film. She plays Kelly as tragic from the start. One can feel the hurt she feels about the baby, the guilt. Her disease, as portrayed onscreen is also spot on, any excuse to drink. This is harsh reality and it's good to see it portrayed as such. Kelly is tough as nails and fragile as crystal. Paltrow gives us all of that and more.
Gwyneth also has pipes! I recommend you check out the soundtrack of this film, it's amazing with some true country music and some pop (Taylor Swift) type numbers.
Tim McGraw is a fascinating person and not bad as an actor. He has those big soulful eyes that say everything without him saying a word.
Regarding Leighton Meester; I went into the screening of this film determined not to like her (the whole 'Gossip Girl thing). However, she won me over...that's not easily done by any actress. Her character starts off as a perfect little country 'Barbie Doll' as mentioned by Beau in one scene. What she ends up being is quite different and enjoyable.
And then there is Garrett Hedlund who plays Beau for all he's worth. This man hit Hollywood and had the role in 'Troy' a month later. He use to model before becoming an actor. One could get lost in those blue eyes! He sings his own songs and sings them well. The total package ...blah blah, yes...I love him!
It is Beau's relationship with Kelly and Chiles that gives this movie it's edgy, spiraling feel. The duality of feelings Beau has is disturbing. On one hand he adores and protects Kelly the way her husband should. On the other, he is experiencing young love with Chiles. Frankly, it feels like he is keeping his options open. Options have a tendency to disappear if you don't take them quickly.
Don't wait for DVD on this one, belly up to the theater and get lost in this story of love lost and love found to the tune of a sad old country song.

tom

PS. Don't for get you tissues
It doesn't end any thing like I though it would!!!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I rarely see flicks in the cinema either. I'll be sure to catch Country Strong in a few months when it's released on DVD. Good review.