• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for a good encryption program

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Since I am on WiFi and it is public I'm looking for a good encryption program so as to keep me secure. I have been checking around, but I'm not sure what to get. Any suggestions?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What are you wanting to encrypt?
You can encrypt your hard drive.
If you want to encrypt your data you send out over the wire you need to be sure whoever you are sending to has the same encryption to be able to decrypt what you send.
A good firewall, anti virus will keep hackers off your WIFI router / computer I'm not thinking you need encryption for that.
SSH is 'secure shell' that ecrypts data you send out over the wire ...but you need to be using ssh / putty.
scp is secure copy so you can copy and send files securely / ie: encrpted.

....more details and maybe I can help. It's can get complicated rather quickly.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Since I am on WiFi and it is public I'm looking for a good encryption program so as to keep me secure. I have been checking around, but I'm not sure what to get. Any suggestions?

You can use a good VPN, but it will cost money. Before that, I would just see what the telephone company offers for basic internet for seniors.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
What are you wanting to encrypt?
You can encrypt your hard drive.
If you want to encrypt your data you send out over the wire you need to be sure whoever you are sending to has the same encryption to be able to decrypt what you send.
A good firewall, anti virus will keep hackers off your WIFI router / computer I'm not thinking you need encryption for that.
SSH is 'secure shell' that ecrypts data you send out over the wire ...but you need to be using ssh / putty.
scp is secure copy so you can copy and send files securely / ie: encrpted.

....more details and maybe I can help. It's can get complicated rather quickly.

I have a good VPN program,and pretty good security, but I was told by another resident who uses Wifi that I should get an encryption program to hide my log in.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
You can use a good VPN, but it will cost money. Before that, I would just see what the telephone company offers for basic internet for seniors.

I got lazy so you get the same reply :yum:

I have a good VPN program,and pretty good security, but I was told by another resident who uses Wifi that I should get an encryption program to hide my log in.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Intersting point but from what I know your local login on your computer is only between your keyboard and your computer. If it's a wireless keyboard it is traveling through the air but it would be very hard to capture. If not a wireless keyboard then it is confined to your computer. The only way someone might grab it would by already being logged onto your computer to capture the key sequence. But ...if they get that far and copy your hashed password and put it on their computer and run a password algorithm program against it eventually they would figure out your password encrypted or not.
Long way of saying put a good firewall and antivirus in place and fa get about it.

A VPN allows you to hide what you send over the network but if browsing web sites like FF there is no need to hide that kind of stuff. I use a VPN for connecting to my work because of the sensitive data but for myself using the internet I do not see a need.

jwstewar

Are you saying you are using public Wi-Fi at some place like a restaurant/coffee shop and not at home? If so, that brings up a whole lot of other questions and concerns.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you saying you are using public Wi-Fi at some place like a restaurant/coffee shop and not at home? If so, that brings up a whole lot of other questions and concerns.
I believe he is using an condo or apartment shared wifi JP.