• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

JURY DUTY on a Federal Grand Jury ... anyone?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone ever sit on a Federal Grand Jury?

I got a summons and am supposed to start on Friday. Never been called to federal jury duty before. No clue what to expect. I am supposed to call the court Thursday evening to find out if I report on Friday. Other than that, no clue what is going on with this.

I've been called to the county court a couple times for Jury Duty. Keep getting kicked out as an unacceptable jurist. Not on purpose.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nope, never been. Seems like it might be interesting. I'm pretty sure it's BYOB.
Good luck!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Not me but my wife sat on the Grand Jury once. She said it was very interesting seeing how the whole system worked. Of course, she wasn't allowed to talk to me about any of the cases that were brought but she said that she'd be pleased to do it again. Fat chance, we're both too old now.

How long do you have to serve for? Or are we talking about serving on a jury in Federal Court.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Never served on a grand jury but as I understand it, it's for a long period of time. Unlike a regular trial where you hear one case, it's something like 6-12 months when serving on a federal grand jury. I don't think it's every day though.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

How long do you have to serve for? Or are we talking about serving on a jury in Federal Court.

Unknown?

I will apparently find out more tonight?

Paper says Grand Jury and report to the Federal Courthouse

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've sat in on trial jury before at the city courthouse- but never on a grand jury.
That's been a long time ago.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Any lawyer worth his money is going to exclude you (Bob) in no time. You're too smart and opinionated to be a juror.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Any lawyer worth his money is going to exclude you (Bob) in no time. You're too smart and opinionated to be a juror.

But if I understand the Grand Jury thing its set up differently. Doesn't a prosecutor submit evidence and its pretty much of the jury to decide if they are justified in taking the case forward into court? Or something like that?

jwstewar

Dad had Federal Jury Duty back in the 90s. I think he had to go for almost a month. I think it was 2 or 3 times a week, but won't swear to it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
But if I understand the Grand Jury thing its set up differently. Doesn't a prosecutor submit evidence and its pretty much of the jury to decide if they are justified in taking the case forward into court? Or something like that?
That's the way I understand it. Also, I don't believe the defendant gets to address or attend any Grand Jury sessions.

I "think" it's one day per week but for you're on the grand jury for several months.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I was on jury duty at the county courthouse for a 2 week period. If you were seated for a trial in that 2 weeks, when that case was over you were dismissed. I was seated as an alternate before I could even finish orientation. The trial lasted 5 full days. A medical malpractice trial.

One of my co-workers was summonsed at the county level. He served 2 days. Then he was notified to appear at the Federal Court for a Grand Jury. His term was for up to 6 months. He worked 2-3 days a week for 6 months.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Unknown?

I will apparently find out more tonight?

Paper says Grand Jury and report to the Federal Courthouse

When my wife served on the Grand Jury it was for a 6 month period. Being a small, rural community they only met once a month although the session could extend for 2 days and once for 3 days. They could be called to a special session at any time but that never happened.

The rules for a Grand Jury vary from state to state. Generally their purpose is to review the evidence presented by the prosecutor, ask lots of questions, call any expert witnesses that they feel necessary and decide whether or not the indictment should precede, to "Bill" or "No Bill".

Sometimes a prosecutor will use the Grand Jury to test the strength of his case or to find out any weaknesses in it. I believe that, in Texas, even if the Grand Jury fails to indict the prosecutor can still bring the case to court. I'm not positive about that because it seldom happens without further evidence coming to light.

Last edited:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

If you're talking about being a member of a jury at a Federal trial, you are exactly right.

If you're talking about being a member of a Grand Jury where there are no defense lawyers, that is precisely the kind of person that you want. You want someone who will listen, analyze, ask questions, ask for clarification and make a decision … and that's our Bob.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

You are probably right. I missed that "Grand Jury" part.

https://legalbeagle.com/6363961-grand-juries-chosen.html

You may be doing some time for a while. Hope you didn't have any long vacations planned.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They called in about 55 to 60 potential jurors.

Of the potential jurors, there were 5 or 6 that were exempted from duty for hardship, mostly family health matters.

All the rest were subjected to a RANDOM drawing.
  • The first 23 names called were placed on the Grand Jury.
  • The next 20 names called were picked as Alternate Jurors.
  • The remaining dozen or so where were left over were "released" from duty.

Unlike at regular jury duty, there was no questioning of the potential jurors. If your name was called you were put on the jury. Period. No question, no argument and no discussion. If your name was called you won the lucky ticket to a big comfy chair.

Grand Jury duty is 18 months long. 2 days per month.

My name was called for an "Alternate" and I am alternate #5. It is likely that I will be called for perhaps a total of 2 to 4 days of jury duty over the next 18 months. I can easily live with that. In fact I might actually enjoy that. I would not be thrilled if I was one of the lucky 23 who are on the Grand Jury, but filling in for one of them might be a nice diversion.

There were several people who were named to the Grand Jury that tried to get out of it. One guy in particular made a stink and I found it funny he got named.

The Grand Jury room is a secret room in the courthouse. No sign on the door. Door always locked. Inside that door is a corridor. Another locked door on the other end. Witness rooms in the corridor, but witnesses come into their rooms through back doors from the US Marshal's office. Also a private kitchen and bathrooms only for the Grand Jury. Pretty interesting set up.

loboloco

I've sat on a trial jury. Lasted about 2 weeks. I also got picked for a special grand jury, but due to my wife being ill, they sent me back. That one had a minimum of 6 months and a maximum of two years. Not sure what came of that one, it was investigating corruption by elected leaders.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
My name was called for an "Alternate" and I am alternate #5. It is likely that I will be called for perhaps a total of 2 to 4 days of jury duty over the next 18 months. I can easily live with that. In fact I might actually enjoy that. I would not be thrilled if I was one of the lucky 23 who are on the Grand Jury, but filling in for one of them might be a nice diversion.

I think that you might too. As I said, my wife enjoyed her stint on the Grand Jury. She found it interesting, not enough to volunteer but she'd willingly go back if summoned. Her sessions were only for one day per month. The 2-day sessions were a spill over from the previous day for a couple of hours. The 3-day session was because the Grand Jury requested additional information and clarification and had to wait for two Texas Rangers to come up from Austin (I think) to answer their questions.

Bamby

So........... for the next 18 months you've got to call "mother may I" before you can anything concerning you life? That absolutely outright sucks big time....

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So........... for the next 18 months you've got to call "mother may I" before you can anything concerning you life? That absolutely outright sucks big time....

Actually no.

I told them we had 2 foreign trips planned. They said no problem. If I am needed during either of those trips they will just skip past me and go to the next person on the list. The following month, if needed, they would come back to me. So its not really much of an issue.