• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How to kill an "in ground" wasp/hornet colony?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dog was in the yard looking at something.

Dog came in when I opened the door.

I went out to inspect.

Got stung by a hornet on my back.

Now I know why the dog came inside when I opened the door :doh:

So how does one go about killing the hornets that are inside a nest that is under the ground? I found the nest, its along the foundation of the house and has at least 1 entry/exit point, not sure if there are other access holes.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
this fall I have the largest underground nest I have seen. it is in the pasture so it isn't bothering anything. you could drop a pingpong ball down the hole.
in the past I bought the spray that is sold and it did a good job. that one was in the flowers next to my home foundation. I sprayed twice in two days and completely gone.
is your dog ok?
jim

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I too have used the wasp/hornet spray with good results.
I prefer to spray at night once they've all moved back into the nest.
I flood the hole with the spray and for good measure, throw something like a piece of plywood or cinder block over the hole(s) for a couple days.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Walter the dog was smart enough to observe but not get stung.

Clearly Walter is smarter than I.

Among the other tasks of the day, going to the home center for a few cans of wasp/hornet spray.

For the spray you guys purchased was it specifically for in-ground nests? Or general wasp/hornet spray?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just use regular wasp/hornet spray from Spectracide in green can or Hot Shot in black can.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BTW, if you have any Ortho Home Defense laying around, that works as well. I don't recommend using it with their little trigger that you need to keep squeezing. If you buy their newfangled version that sprays constantly until you release the trigger or you've moved it to a pressurized sprayer, that will work.

What's important is you do it after dusk/dark. During the day, most of them are out flying around so you would be hitting an empty nest.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't know ....but maybe you could sit on it and see what happens. :hide: :yum:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Ah, I ran across something similar this spring. One quart of the 57% malathion poured directly in the hole did the trick. I'm not sure I'd trust the 19% strength to severely disorient the early fighters coming out.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I just use regular wasp/hornet spray from Spectracide in green can or Hot Shot in black can.

That's what I've always used. I run across those ground nests every year or two. On a few occasions, they've got me before I got them. Point the can, press the button and keep spraying until the can is empty. Fill the entrance with as much foam as possible so at least they have to walk through it to reach the entrance and take flight. That's all it takes. I've never had to do it twice.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I know I've used the spray in the past for an above ground next with good results. Never dealt with a wasp nest in the ground but I imagine that a bit of gas might have the same results as pouring onto an ant hill.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
All fine ideas if the nest was out in the yard, but it is right against the foundation. Not going to risk the house (yet).

in that case use the neighborhood democrat for a distraction than spray a toxic bug killer in the hole

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
in that case use the neighborhood democrat for a distraction than spray a toxic bug killer in the hole

Might be better to use a wasp attractant on the local democrat and then stir up the nest :hammer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang it. Was blowing leaves and hit an underground nest. Got stung. Since I had the leaf blower, the wind was in my favor which probably got me from being stung several more times.

I hit it with that aforementioned Ortho Home Defense. Haven't seen any movement out of the nest since.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used a bottle of OFF Yard Spray.

It is a Hose End type product that is concentrated and attaches to your hose, you spray the yard, bushes, etc. The bottle was about 1/2 full, I had used it to kill off some of the mosquitoes a few weeks ago. Waited until night, unscrewed the cap (hose end attachment) and poured the bottle down the hole. It claims to continue to kill bugs for 4 to 6 weeks. All I know is that the wasps are dead.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
they will be gone anyway when it freezes .if it freeze next to your foundation.