• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What did you do to prep today?

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
You may want to check out that CB radio, if it is a 23 channel you may have problems communicating with other CBers.
when they went to 40 channels, they narrowed the bands in order to squeeze more channels in the alloted band space.
Tweeker

It's a 40 clicker :biggrin:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
thrifty garden.jpg

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
It's hard to prep. when you live in a city and can't drive. I do have extra food and guns and ammunition. When I post that it makes me think of the lyrics in Silent Running by Mike and The Mechanics: "There's a gun and ammunition Just inside the doorway Use it only in emergency Better you should pray to God The father and the spirit"

So even though I think that it's important to prep. I think that when the:shitHitFan: shit hits the fan you better have faith in God. From the way things are going in this country (and world) I think it may hit the fan soon.

:myopinion:

Tweeker

Catavenger.
I know how hard it is to prep, even without the limitations that you are handling.
Try to hook up with other prepers in your area, next door neighbors ect.
you may find all the support that you need right there.
Also there are a bunch of levels of preparedness,
One of the easyist, is to keep your regular gear in shape.
I just found a hand crank radio at the thrift store that has a USB output jack, now I can charge my Iphone when I forget to charge my Iphone.
If that makes any sense.
Tweeker

Tweeker

That Iphone ain't gonna be worth shit when the grid goes down, bud. Just sayin' ;)

Yea I know, But in the event of a mini shtf scenario, like me forgetting to...well you know. :wink:

In the event of a major SHTF I have a multi band ham station, ranging from 27MHz up to 900MHz.
I shall be heard :w00t2:
Tweeker

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
It's hard to prep. when you live in a city and can't drive. I do have extra food and guns and ammunition. When I post that it makes me think of the lyrics in Silent Running by Mike and The Mechanics: "There's a gun and ammunition Just inside the doorway Use it only in emergency Better you should pray to God The father and the spirit"

So even though I think that it's important to prep. I think that when the:shitHitFan: shit hits the fan you better have faith in God. From the way things are going in this country (and world) I think it may hit the fan soon.

:myopinion:

i chose to sell my car. has any city-dweller achieved success in finding a lot/spot or lease to place a car sans essentially relinquishing ur pay to get a spot to get to ur job....... not me. i can drive. well. i know feet get u there quicker.
God gave me feet for a reason.
& i utilize 'em.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just keep feeding and watering my beef. It'll be ready by next summer. Literally so many hogs here if the folks who tend but don't own the hogs are on there own for feed, they will be turned loose. So I don't worry about pork being available. And of course deer...

Regards, Kirk

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Just keep feeding and watering my beef. It'll be ready by next summer. Literally so many hogs here if the folks who tend but don't own the hogs are on there own for feed, they will be turned loose. So I don't worry about pork being available. And of course deer...

That's how it is at our place. No domestic animals at the house but there are hogs, rabbits and deer all around. Just have to find 'em. Plenty of hamburger on the hoof at the farm 6 miles away. Holding on to them in a major SHTF scenario might be a trick. In a minor one I might be tempted to bring some to the pasture at the house just in case it escalates.

After the happenings of today, it might be a good time to lay in ammo if you need it. I think that it's going to be hard to find again in the near future.

Tweeker

As most of you know I already ranted about that wad in Colorado who went on a shooting spree at the expense of the lives of innocent people.
Now the media are lableing him a prepper.
I am soooo sick of this S**T
Tweeker

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
i chose to sell my car. has any city-dweller achieved success in finding a lot/spot or lease to place a car sans essentially relinquishing ur pay to get a spot to get to ur job....... not me. i can drive. well. i know feet get u there quicker.
God gave me feet for a reason.
& i utilize 'em.
Do you need a spot to store your car? I have a parking lot you could use but it's 40 miles outside the city so it would be a PITA for you to get regularly.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
As most of you know I already ranted about that wad in Colorado who went on a shooting spree at the expense of the lives of innocent people.
Now the media are lableing him a prepper.
I am soooo sick of this S**T
Tweeker

He prepared for his attack. That don't make him a prepper. That makes him a fucking nutjob.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you need a spot to store your car? I have a parking lot you could use but it's 40 miles outside the city so it would be a PITA for you to get regularly.

it's gone. i have a spot feet from my door if i needed one, or @ my Parents homes in the suburbs. it's pointless to have owned it & have a career in most districts. thanx, tho!

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
yesterday, got a stock of meds. i'm combining a supply of each into 1 of thier own bottles. i am getting a supply of lighters. already get matches most nitely from the bar. i keep zip-locks there for items that may get rained on- keep a few items in my one in my 1 lunchbox/purse already. now re-fill bottles/jugs after they're empty often. buy 2 when i need 1 of a non-perishable food. arrange my rainboots by the door nightly, as i usually wear 'em, & babbit seems to think they're toys & scatters most shoes/boots about my kitchen frequently. i keep my tub full jik. i have a bag of kitty food & a pot full of h2o for them, too.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
He ain't no prepper. Too smart for his own sanity maybe.

I tend to agree Muleman, I've known a couple of guys I grew up with that bordered on genius that always seemed on the edge of complete insanity sometimes. As they say a thin line between the two and this guy was just plain over the edge regardless of what set him off and if he didn't have guns he would of probably found other methods of doing it too.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
After all the commotion being raised about the shooter in Colorado buying his "arsenal" and "thousands and thousands" of rounds of ammunition on the internet, I think that is going to be the first place they will try to strike ... banning internet sales.

There's going to be the usual outcry about large capacity mags and putting timers on guns so they only fire 1 round a minute and similar idiotic things but I think that banning internet sales of guns and ammo is going to be where the first real attack is going to be launched.

So, what did I do to prep today, I sent off an order for a couple of hundred more rounds of ammunition. :brows::brows:

Tweeker

I organized my stocks, well sort of...
now I know how it feels to work in a grocery store.
Tweeker

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 187

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Where is the coffee? I picked up 2 more big cans today when I got down to 4 on the shelf.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Where is the coffee? I picked up 2 more big cans today when I got down to 4 on the shelf.

I prep with instant coffee. Taster's Choice French Roast. Takes less shelf space and less energy to heat the water for a cup. Some can't drink instant but I have no problem with it. Taster's Choice is about the best there is in the instant department.

Tweeker

I go through coffee so fast that its hard to keep it on the shelf.
I'm gonna have to cut back if I don't want to go through withdraws when the SHTF. :sad:
As for the Jim Beam, I still have a list of stuff yet to get, thats on it. :wink:
I still have to set up a system for stock rotation, in the worst case, most canned goods can be eaten way after thier shelf life, but I tried it with a can of peaches, 2 years after thier best by date, it tasted ok but I can't begin to describe what it looked like. I'll never do that again.
Tweeker

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I've actually picked up about a years supply for 2 people of these Wise food systems at Bud's http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/1086/sort/6a/page/2 I've been buy a couple of a month now for about a year covering 3 meals a day as well as fruits and other snake stuff in the by Wise. Dawn and I should be able to last a year on just this alone.

They aren't as good as my grandmother made or even me however they are better than I thought they would be and sure better than the average MRE

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I still have to set up a system for stock rotation
Here's an option. Instead of putting things on shelves organized by what they are, put things on the shelves based on its expiration. E.g. Top shelf is stuff that expires 3rd quarter 2012. Shelf below it has stuff that expires 4Q12...

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Here's an option. Instead of putting things on shelves organized by what they are, put things on the shelves based on its expiration. E.g. Top shelf is stuff that expires 3rd quarter 2012. Shelf below it has stuff that expires 4Q12...

That's how I'm planning it, but like at the grocery store. The stuff at the front of the shelf expires before the stuff at the back. Just keep it well stocked, and rotate by using stuff for daily use, dinners breakfast, ect.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Dinty Moore Beef and Chicken Stew have long shelf life.

Strange you should mention that. Last week I was down under the house changing out the filters on the a/c and I thought that I'd better check the emergency storage box that I keep down there for when we're hiding from tornadoes. Stuck right down at the very bottom of the crate was 1 can of each, both 4 years past their "use by" date.

I don't know whether to eat them, feed them to the dog, toss them in the trash or call in the Federal Emergency Response Clean Up Team to get rid of them. :yum: