• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tonneau covers

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It came up in another thread on a different subject.

Instead of diluting that thread, I'm starting a new one.

I have (and very much like) the "Access" cover. It's a roll-up but uses velcro instead of snaps. Its rail system is such that your stake pockets are still available for ladder racks or other uses. Opening or closing takes about 30 seconds. It's not 100% waterproof, but are any?

OK, what do you have and like/dislike about it?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
What do you want to use the truck for and why do you want a tonneau cover?

This is the first question you must ask.

If it's for fuel savings, it has been proven several times that tonneau covers to more harm than good on the aerodynamics of a pickup.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If it's for fuel savings, it has been proven several times that tonneau covers to more harm than good on the aerodynamics of a pickup.
Can you provide some examples of these studies that shows where it went down?
I just did some google searches and EVERY study I saw showed it going up. I even changed my search to "tonneau cover decreases mileage" and it didn't come up with a single site that said it went down.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
My apologies. What I was thinking was the "tailgate myth".

I erroneously thought this was including tonneau covers.

I humbly stand corrected. :shit5:

(I still don't like tonneau covers though. They're ugly and always in the way.)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I never saw a study like that for tonneau covers, but "Myth Busters" proved that mileage does not go down if you use air conditioning vs having the windows down (the truck with the air on ran further on the same amount of gas), and they showed that tail gate up is more aerodynamic than tail gate down. I was surprised on both counts.
With the tail gate up they showed a graphic which showed that once you attained a certain speed (I forget what it was) that the air hitting the back tailgate bounces back towards the cab and maintains an invisible wall that allows the air coming by the truck to pass by without entering the bed. We've all seen stuff that you would expect to blow out but it doesn't. It's from this air circulation effect.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with Av8tr. I don't care for the covers. But I see a need for them if you want to be able to store things out of site. Some can be locked and are fairly secure.
But, I prefer the truck without the tonneau cover. I have owned toppers for them before, where you can put em on when you need them. Even camped out in the bed when the tent we were in got soaked. But 99% of the time I like my bed totally open.

jwstewar

I have a Pace Edwards roll-up cover. It is aluminum with a vinyl over that. It works pretty well. The first one I had on the truck the vinyl came unglued from the aluminum and ripped the vinyl. Just so I check the paper and someone had a used one + a new cover. Got it for $200 vs. the $600 I paid originally for the new one. I like it real well. It locks and combined with the power tailgate lock, it makes everything in the bed pretty secure. Takes about 4 seconds to open and about 20 seconds to close and lock. No snaps or velcro to fight with. It sits flat to the top rails of the truck except for a little 8"x8" box at the front of the bed it rolls up in. Not 100% watertight, but keeps probably 90% out, would do better but I lost the little drain hoses.

On my old truck I just had a vinyl cover with the bows going across the bed. Looked nice, but was a pain to open and close - especially in cold weather. Didn't lock, but it did keep 100% of the water out.

I don't like the fiberglass covers or the shells. When I want to use my truck as a truck, I don't want to have to deal with those. With the Roll-up cover I can keep it covered until I need to haul something and then I'm ready to go.

I had the previous version of this: http://www.pace-edwards.com/rolltop.asp

shovanl

SUPER Site Supporter
I also have a Pace Edwards rollup and of all the covers that I have had it is the best except in winter it rolles up well but if you dont clean off the snow it ends up in the bed. Larry

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
My trucks are work trucks. The F250 has a tool box, shovels and a gooseneck trailer ball. The F350 has a 100 gallon diesel fuel tank, tool box, gooseneck ball hitch, and a tool box with trailer tie down accessories in it. The tonneau cover would be a waste of time and a pain in the arse to use for me. I need to be able to throw crap in and out of the trucks quick and fast. When I only need half of a truck I use the wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee.