• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

JUST GOT A TUCKER 2000D AND WANT TO CUT DOWN TRACKS?

Hey guys so I couldnt pass on this deal and ended up with my first Tucker.. Still looking for an older steel track machine but this is the newest to the fleet. And its got the 12 valve cummins with allison auto. Basically i want to cut the tracks down so transporting is closer to 102" wide.. Is that ok to do on such a heavy maachine and is it nessacary to cut the outside and inside belts and graousers or can i just Take off the outers to make more narrow? I am also in need of a solid rubber wheel complete And 5 sets of bearing for the bad existing ones. I have a manual with part numbers but was wondering if anyone had numbers that the auto parts store would know. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-2478.jpg
    IMG-2478.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG-2472.jpg
    IMG-2472.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG-2484.jpg
    IMG-2484.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG-2482.jpg
    IMG-2482.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG-2489.jpg
    IMG-2489.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 359

Logger1965

GOLD Site Supporter
I had a 1990 2000C with the same track configuration I also was going to do the same thing trying to get it narrower to transport, but some quality time with the ye old tape measure still showed that cutting the outside belt off would still leave it over width. So i opted for still getting a permit and leaving the tracks full width and keeping the flotation. Just my .02 and there have been plenty of them cut down, but that is a heavy machine, mine was 11,700 with the blade and a 360, so more track the better in my opinion.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got pulled over for to wide Sno-Cat and was told to go get an over width permit. Went to port of entry, paid $8. 00 for $30 dollars worth of instructions and find that you can not haul oversize if ice or snow on the road. Oregon.

I had a 1990 2000C with the same track configuration I also was going to do the same thing trying to get it narrower to transport, but some quality time with the ye old tape measure still showed that cutting the outside belt off would still leave it over width. So i opted for still getting a permit and leaving the tracks full width and keeping the flotation. Just my .02 and there have been plenty of them cut down, but that is a heavy machine, mine was 11,700 with the blade and a 360, so more track the better in my opinion.

thnaks for the info. The tag on it says curb weight is 8607 lbs.. if i cut the outer belts off it brings width to 107 inches.. id rather not take the tracks on and off when transporting or dealing with permits, so was thinking 107 will only hang off of our 102" width trailer 2.5 on each side which atleast will almost look legal. ha ha . if i do cut the outside belt down can i leave the extra inner belt or will the track ride funny with the extra weight on inside of track? thanks

tatman

SUPER Site Supporter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBxQkI9HTw For Christmas my wife wanted an new pair of snowshoes, so that's what she got from me. We took the snow cat to the mountain so she could try them out. When she got out on the snow she sank to her waist in the snow and the snow shoes were at the bottom. I had a wide track 2000 by 6 like that one and it would go about any where. especially in the low water content snow that we get out here. You can buy a annual over width permit for less than $100 bill. So I would cherish what you have and leave it wide. (This is our old Tucker in 5 ft of soft soft snow)

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
My take on it is a little different. My 2000HD had a 5 bogie wheel carrier with a much smaller blade than Tatman's. It was of legal width for hauling without a permit. I run in calif. snow,not super dry powder(except maybe just after a storm) and had no problems. A friend has that cat now and pretty much uses it to access and maintain the 2 mile road to his ranch,(and pull out trucks that try to drive up his road). The more flotation the better,as long as it's not a problem for doing what you want to do with it.

LTR

Our snowmobile club has the same tracks on our tucker, we don't get the snow some of you get out west, (central NY), if driving on narrow, uneven trails, or with out a lot of snow, the 38" grousers break kind of easy, right in the middle, we have over a dozen welded. If anybody has any for sale, we would be interested.

I have the tracks figured out and am sourcing new belts for tracks.. I need to find a used or new bogie wheel . outside diameter is 14" . anybody know of any for sale for cheap? Thanks . Also found out the wheel bearings are Timken set 6 but not sure of the dust cover #.Any one know the #?

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
I have the tracks figured out and am sourcing new belts for tracks.. I need to find a used or new bogie wheel . outside diameter is 14" . anybody know of any for sale for cheap? Thanks . Also found out the wheel bearings are Timken set 6 but not sure of the dust cover #.Any one know the #?

Dust cover/shields are stocked at Tucker and were around $1.20ea when I bought 24 sets for my 542 a few years ago.

brianf

Take machine over scale they are heavy my 2000 with blade same motor and trans was around 11000lbs if you are running deep snow you will be glad to have wider track

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing new under the sun/snow. Wide stance- narrow track, dun there been that.

Attachments

• Tucker 4500.jpg
    Tucker 4500.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 162