• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier driveline brake adjustment

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a question about the driveline brake on my 1991 BR-60+, I assume this brake system is in other models as well. Now that everything that makes it go is working I need to be able to make it stop and hold still. I am not familiar with this type of caliper and how you go about adjusting it, if that is possible. The cable is free and moves easily for the parking brake and the slave cylinder functions correctly, I just don't see the pads getting pushed tight to the disc.
Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
i got the ol' photo bucket working I think...
IMG_2218_zpsxvflfri9.jpg

image_zpsowyfsipr.jpeg

and one of the cat
IMG_2155_zpsorngfki6.jpg

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and the snowcat world :)

Nice looking machine. Like a SV252 with the body backwards. I have a Sv252 but no driveline brake so , sorry can't help.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking at the part diagram it looks like you take #38 lever off and reposition it on the splined shaft it bolts to such that you remove the slack..

I can see the pads are thick, and should work. Does the service brake peddle stop the machine, and it is just the parking brake that is not working??

Most SV's have had these removed that I have seen. Our Clubs old 252 we just unbolted it and hung it out of the way, as we did not use it..

Regards, Kirk

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and the snowcat world :)

Nice looking machine. Like a SV252 with the body backwards. I have a Sv252 but no driveline brake so , sorry can't help.

Thanks Pixie,
Been reading all these posts for over a year now and decided to finally step out of the shadows. Can never read too many snowcat stories.

Not sure what the purpose for spinning the cab to the other end of the machine was but that's what they did for the BR-60

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking at the part diagram it looks like you take #38 lever off and reposition it on the splined shaft it bolts to such that you remove the slack..

I can see the pads are thick, and should work. Does the service brake peddle stop the machine, and it is just the parking brake that is not working??

Most SV's have had these removed that I have seen. Our Clubs old 252 we just unbolted it and hung it out of the way, as we did not use it..

Regards, Kirk

Thanks Kirk,

Both the parking brake and service brake rotate the lever the same amount and currently apply next to zero pressure. I think your suggestion would do the trick, I'll see if I can give that a try this weekend.

Cheers,

Mike

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Kirk,

Both the parking brake and service brake rotate the lever the same amount and currently apply next to zero pressure. I think your suggestion would do the trick, I'll see if I can give that a try this weekend.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

Your very welcome. I hope it works out, as it appears it will...

Let us know to! :smile:

Regards, Kirk

undy

I'll register one user who is damn glad that his SV252 still has a working driveline brake.

On mine, it had both the manual and hydraulic brake-steer actuators, but the manual components were junk. So I removed them and made up spacers that allowed me to run only the hydraulic actuators. I rarely used that driveline brake except to shift gears. Everything was working okay...

...until I was pulling a compactor up a steep uphill section and ran out of gas. Guess what? The hydraulic brake-steering doesn't work so well without the engine running. :ermm: Now whatdya do? The driveline brake worked just fine, but unless I kept my foot into it the cat wanted to roll backwards downhill into the compactor.

Lucky for me, there was still an old 2x4 laying on the passenger floor, which I was just barely able to reach. Even more luckily, it could be jammed between the brake pedal and the seat back to work as a parking brake. :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm a big fan of a properly working driveline brake system (and a full gas tank)!

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
This cat just has hydraulics for the dif brakes too. I thought about that senario, stalling out and running it into the woods at the bottom of the hill full speed. I put the blade back on and can use that as the e-brake in a pinch. I really like the idea of being able to use the pedal.

I should have taken Bob Seger's advice and turned the page, who would have thought there was an exploded view of the caliper on the backside?! Looks like just a snap ring to remove. Anyone know how many clicks to turn it?
image_zpshcavxgtv.jpeg

I might get a chance to do the trial and error on it this afternoon, but it is deer season. Oh man thats a tough one, hunt, work on the cat, or help the wife and kids put up christmas decorations. Hard to decide between the two options :whistling:

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
that was all it took. I removed the snap ring, slid the lever off, rotated the shaft until the pads just touched and put the lever back on. yay, brakes!