• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

On Ebay: 1964 Thiokol snow cat w 10' 6 way blade good cond.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140028098389

c3_12.jpg

c5_12.jpg

ef_12.jpg

Ebay Description:
1964 or newer Thiokol 1202 snow machine. Called 4 passenger but easily fits 6. And all their gear. Has a good running Ford 170 ci. 6 cyl. gas engine.With a Ford T-98 4 speed granny trans. It will go 30 mph, I never run it over 20 mph. Rear is a heavy duty Clark equipment unit. Steering is via twin levers. All running gear works well and is tight. Blade is 10 foot 6 way--all hydrolics are good. Track width is 36''. Belts are used and okay. Grousers are used and good. Overall condition is good. Runs and drives well and is dependable, anyone can drive it. It will go anywhere in any snow condition. I have had it for 6 years and store it in my garage. It fits through my 10' wide by 8' high door. Overall length is 154"--overall width is 100" overall height is 79 1/2 ". It weights with blade about 3000 lbs. Fuel capacity is 17 gallons and goes 6 to 10 miles per gallon. Tires are good-but not new. Needs an exhaust system (cheap to do) and some maintenance. I have developed a heart problem so must sell my house and this machine. It is located in my garage at my house outside Anaconda MT. Near Butte. I can not haul it. Snow is coming fast here. This machine is valued at $ 12,500.00. due to the blade and it's condition. I am well below this. These are hard to find with a blade. We get up to 10 feet of snow at the house and have quite a long winding hill to climb----IT CLIMBS LIKE IT IS ON RAILS__ will not tip--doesn't care how deep the snow is or how cold it is--will push 3 feet of new snow. We will be at the house Sept. 23rd through Sept. 30th for you to pick it up. I am about 350 miles away in Spokane so this time frame is crutial, we can negociate a different time if needed. Thanks for your interest

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Ebay Description:
1964 or newer Thiokol 1202 snow machine. Called 4 passenger but easily fits 6. And all their gear. Has a good running Ford 170 ci. 6 cyl. gas engine.With a Ford T-98 4 speed granny trans. It will go 30 mph, I never run it over 20 mph. Rear is a heavy duty Clark equipment unit. Steering is via twin levers. All running gear works well and is tight. Blade is 10 foot 6 way--all hydrolics are good. Track width is 36''. Belts are used and okay. Grousers are used and good. Overall condition is good. Runs and drives well and is dependable, anyone can drive it. It will go anywhere in any snow condition. I have had it for 6 years and store it in my garage. It fits through my 10' wide by 8' high door. Overall length is 154"--overall width is 100" overall height is 79 1/2 ". It weights with blade about 3000 lbs. Fuel capacity is 17 gallons and goes 6 to 10 miles per gallon. Tires are good-but not new. Needs an exhaust system (cheap to do) and some maintenance. I have developed a heart problem so must sell my house and this machine. It is located in my garage at my house outside Anaconda MT. Near Butte. I can not haul it. Snow is coming fast here. This machine is valued at $ 12,500.00. due to the blade and it's condition. I am well below this. These are hard to find with a blade. We get up to 10 feet of snow at the house and have quite a long winding hill to climb----IT CLIMBS LIKE IT IS ON RAILS__ will not tip--doesn't care how deep the snow is or how cold it is--will push 3 feet of new snow. We will be at the house Sept. 23rd through Sept. 30th for you to pick it up. I am about 350 miles away in Spokane so this time frame is crutial, we can negociate a different time if needed. Thanks for your interest[/quote]

My Opinion & Thoughts On This Machine:
Weight With 6 Passenger Cab & Blade Will Be About 4,800 lbs
Rear Differential Is OC4 - Not OC12 HD
10'6'' Wide Blade Will Be Hard On The OC4 Rear End
30 MPH ???? Maybe Falling Off A Cliff Not In Normal Snow Conditions
Overall Length Will Be Close To 190'' With Blade
Missing Driver Side Wiper Motor And Wiper Arm Assembly
Fuel Tank Capacity 15 Gallon
Older Style Grousers Maybe Hard To Find For Repair Parts
Still Probably A Fair Buy At $8,500.00 But Not At $12,500.00

Bill

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You don't think that's an early "B" Model with the non-reduction OC-12 differential and the 4-speed married to the engine?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
mtncrawler said:
You don't think that's an early "B" Model with the non-reduction OC-12 differential and the 4-speed married to the engine?

You maybe 100% right as I was looking at the rear sprocket location when I assumed it was OC4!!!!!!

Here is another pic of an older Spryte with auto and stick? Tell us what model it is if you can? It also does not appear to have reduction style drop box rear end either.
Thiokol_Imps_011.jpg

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Since the shifter looks like it goes through the side of the cowl I'd say it controls an OC-4. I don't believe any "A" Sprytes were built with an automatic also but I've seen some with a C-4 added retrofit. At first glance I also thought that E-Bay machine was an "A", Mkntrakes set me straight.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I have seen several different up graded versions of the older Thiokol Sprytes with newer larger engines and auto transmissions installed. I know of an older upgraded Spryte that has over 10,000 hours showing on the hour meter. It is still in great condition with an automatic trans and newer 300 ford 6 cylinder engine installed. Not many snow cats will ever top the durability of the Thiokol Spryte in my opinion.

Sprytre 300 C.I. 6 cyl. C6 trans. oc-12 rear end, 48" track, 10208.9 hours
For Sale In Salt Lake City & Asking $21,000.00
1200sc1.jpg

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
You maybe 100% right as I was looking at the rear sprocket location when I assumed it was OC4!!!!!!

Here is another pic of an older Spryte with auto and stick? Tell us what model it is if you can? It also does not appear to have reduction style drop box rear end either.
View attachment 7496

Well that stick is actually a reversing transmission which is located between the engine and main trans. The one in my unit is a 4 speed I believe. Cant tell since the gears are so close and I havent had a chance to really run her. Anyway that main trans is forward gears only. No reverse. The stick you see in the picture when forward is for farward motion when you pull it back it switches all the gears to reverse. It was an option on Thiokols but I guess its pretty rare.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Could you post some pix of the reverser unit. Does your manual have a exploded diagram? Sounds like an interesting option. In the picture above, though, I think the downward slope of the back of the "B" Model engine cowl would show if it was a "B". Wonder how that Cat gets by without directed defroster air for the windshield.

mkntrakes

Since the shifter looks like it goes through the side of the cowl I'd say it controls an OC-4. I don't believe any "A" Sprytes were built with an automatic also but I've seen some with a C-4 added retrofit. At first glance I also thought that E-Bay machine was an "A", Mkntrakes set me straight.

they never built a wide track a style with a oc4.that machine seems to be a b style also has reductions on diff as the sprockets sit on the ground as a unreduced diff the sprockets sit about 5 to 6 inches off the ground. as for the 30 i would believe that to be a tack reading as there is no speedo he must be running at 2000 rpm not 20 mph

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Speaking of modified Sprytes...does anyone have any documentation, stories, photos, etc. that describe the conversion from the manual to auto transmissions? I've seen everything from an auto trany shifter practically suspended in mid-air to a nicely mounted professional installation. The shifter is only the superficial bit but I'm curious about what folks have done and any pointers, lessons, etc. that may be passed on.

Thanks!:tiphat:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I missed my chance to buy a C4 auto bell housing for a 200 cid ford I-6. I wanted to place that in my swamp spryte. My plan was to place the Oliver Clark 04 transaxle in 4th gear (1 to 1 ratio) and use the C4 automatic transmision for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and reverse. I believe the sprytes with 6.44 ratios which it seems both mine are according to the original Thiokol build sheets. The best transmission to swap in in my opinion would be the Ford AOD automatic transmissions that have the .67 overdrive. There are a couple of tricks you can do to get an over drive, like use a secondary reversed orientated manual 3 speed transmission in second gear. That would give you a pretty tall overdrive. Mated to the NP 435 thats in one of my Sprytes. That has the ultra low granny gear which would be more like what second gear is now if you do the little trick. Then 4th would be a nice overdrive. I havent figured out the ratio but somewhere in the .6? is my guess off the top of my head. If you can find the bellhousing for a Ford Top Loader 4 speed (overdrive) that would be great. They have a tall overdrive but forget the ratio off hand. Even with all that work and expense you are still only going to gain 4 to 5 MPH on the top end anyway with the 6.44 ratio OC-12s and 5 to 7 MPH with the 5.33 ratio units. Also depending on which way you go an Automatic is not as effecient as a manual. So fuel economy (not that these things have fuel economy) will suffer slightly. The Manuals would be better in that area. But no matter what figure at the least $2500 for the do it your selfer home mechanic. Figure more like $3500 to $4,000 to be safe. Dive shafts must be shortened. Mounts must me fabricated. For autos a new bell housing must be located first or even an adapter made. Cooling rads installed, lines plumbed in ect ect LOTS and lots of work!

Last edited:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Well... I'll be sticking with my manuals then! Too much work for not enough gain. I enjoy the 'fun' of manual anyway.

Thanks for the write-up. Very interesting!