• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

PTO shaft lock broken. Repair or Replace?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My snowblower has a 'pull collar' type PTO shaft lock on the tractor end of the PTO shaft. The kind were you pull back (away from the tractor) on the PTO collar lock while you slide the PTO shaft onto the tractor's PTO.

Somehow I managed to damage the metal collar and deform it. Looks like it has crushed. Consequently I cannot lock the shaft to the tractor.

Given we've been having snow on a daily basis, I've been using the shaft, but I know I should not. It's slipped off a couple times in use, but given that I have 3" of fresh snow from last night sitting on the drive, with 12"-to-15" drifts, I don't see how I can avoid using it.

Can the collar be replaced? I can't see anyway to take it apart. Help.

I checked my tiller shaft to see if I could swap it out, but the implement end is different and won't swap. I've got others I have not checked yet.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Being that this is on the tractor end, I would think all of them should be sort of universal. My tiller has a triangular tube with a pushbutton to lock on the pto shaft at the tractor...........the other end is bolted onto the tiller.

I dont usually go for rigging something up on a tractor, but sounds like if you could securely wire it up to hold for now would be ok. I would check TSC for a replacement.

TINGUY

I have had a PTO collar assembly apart like that recently It came from the factory put together wrong I could not pull the color back!. If I remember correctly there is a snap ring that must come off to get it apart. When you push the color back or forward I think it will be exposed. It is the stop that keeps the spring from pushing the whole thing apart. Watch the bearing balls they will do there best to get away!

Parts ? I have no idea except an internet search. They seem fairly standard and there are probably not to many companies that make them. May be why they seem to be so expensive. Once apart you may be able to reshape the collar?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,
Use one of your other shafts until you get that one repaired, you should be able to find one that works. TSC should have the parts for repair and I believe Tinguy is correct about the snapring. Is it bolted or a quick pin on the blower? How about a spare (universal) shaft purchase?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
Bob,
Use one of your other shafts until you get that one repaired, you should be able to find one that works. TSC should have the parts for repair and I believe Tinguy is correct about the snapring. Is it bolted or a quick pin on the blower? How about a spare (universal) shaft purchase?

Or do it the old-fashion way like some of use lowly folk that don't have a blower... See your thread "3pt Blower versus Scraper Blade". I've never broken a PTO shaft on my rear blade nor FEL. ;)

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Or do it the old-fashion way like some of use lowly folk that don't have a blower... See your thread "3pt Blower versus Scraper Blade". I've never broken a PTO shaft on my rear blade nor FEL. ;)

Yeah Bob, what BC said!

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
bczoom said:
My wife's snow shovel PTO shaft had never failed me yet. It whines some on start-up, but seems to quiet considerably after a couple hours.............