• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Electronic engines and machine systems

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snow Trac Jim,

Isn't that the aluminum Buick engine we had back in the 60"s? I am pretty sure Land Rover bought it from Buick......

Used to see articals in magazines about hopping one of these up to 300 HP.....

Regards, Kirk

sorry taken so long had to take some pics.you are correct .my engine came out of freinds marcos lm 500 4.6 v8 silly very fast thing. but not content.he fitted 5.2 L/T supercharged over complicated computer thing after three years not as fast as snow trac. but does a good impression of AK47

Attachments

• Jims pics 2010 663.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 663.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Jims pics 2010 664.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 664.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Jims pics 2010 666.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 666.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Jims pics 2010 667.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 667.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Jims pics 2010 670.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 670.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 107

BoyToys

I don't want to start a fist-fight, but I'd like to post a mildly dissenting opinion.

I just installed a Pertronix electronic ignition module on my Imp and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. It took less time to install than it takes to adjust the dwell on a set of mechanical points and I'm now finished fiddling with points and timing forever. In my experience, electronic ignition is *way* more reliable than mechanical points -- there's just no comparison.

View attachment 51230

When it comes to full-blown computerization of many of a car's systems and controls I have to admit that I have a basic mistrust of all the high tech. We just replaced our 1998 Toyota Camry with a 2010 Toyota Venza and the level of complexity and computerization in the systems is daunting. But aside from the tire pressure monitoring system (don't get me started...) the systems seem pretty well thought out, the features are really nice, and the electronics have been quite reliable. Obviously I haven't owned this particular car that long, but I've never had an electronics module go south on me in any of the vehicles I've owned. The stuff just works.

In snowcat-land maybe the systems and designs are fiddlier due to the lower product volume -- the designers don't have the resources or time to work out all the bugs. I have zero experience with the newer cats or their computerized systems, so I can't say whether or not they're sufficiently reliable. But when it comes to driving my 40 year old Imp through the snowy wastelands of the Washington Cascades, I think I'm better off with electronic ignition and no moving parts than the mechanical points that it originally came with.

Ron
13 year old thread, fond while searching the topic of ignition conversions for Imps. Do you recall the part number you used for the Pertonix kit? I did a quick search on their web site and came up with maybe part number 1847V.
Thanks if you can help. Working on restoring my rough but serviceable Imp, but we need a bit more snow here in N central WA.

cloudcap

GOLD Site Supporter
I no longer have any documentation on the Pertronix unit I installed and the cat is at our cabin in WA so I can't look at it right now. That said, the spreadsheet I have listing parts for the Saab Sonett (which shares the same engine) shows a Pertonix 1847 as the appropriate kit. That seems like a pretty good match for your 1847v.

The two engine changes I made which vastly improved the reliability of my Imp were the electronic ignition and an electric fuel pump. Starting the Imp used to be a real challenge, but since those upgrades it has been boringly reliable.

Ron

BoyToys

Thanks Ron. The 1847V I think is the designation to be used with a Bosch vacuum advance distributor. Looks like over the years they've made some improvements and now offer upgraded series ll and lll, addressing some issue of burning out the module if you leave the ignition key on for too long without the engine running, adding a rev limiter, etc. So part numbers for those would be 91847v and 71847v. The only thing I don't like is that apparently none of these are compatible with most older tachometers. My tach is dead anyway but will need to do some research before getting a replacement.
Pretty much decided to go electronic ignition, as well as electric fuel pump. Added to my extensive to-do list this summer.

19" of snow at my cabin as of yesterday and snowing when I left.

 Mark