• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Moving a pool table to put down flooring

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BC do you have a link handy to those slider things you mentioned in moving a gun safe thread?

We have to move the pool table to put down flooring and then move it back into place. It's a brunswick 8' with 3 piece slate. Heavy. I was going to use 4 of the little dolly listed below but the less we have to lift the table the less the chance of cracking the seal between the pieces of slate. If I crack the seal I have to reseal and relevel which mean taking off the felt and reapplying. That would cost $500 to $600 to have it professionally done.

Attachments

• DollyForPoolTable.JPG
    DollyForPoolTable.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 29

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:nopics:

Unlike the "safe" thread ... make sure we get photos :hammer:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I looked a little further and I found these. I'm guessing these are a version of what you were talking about BC.

Attachments

• FurnitureSliders.jpg
    FurnitureSliders.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 28

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Given the stresses you will most likely be giving that table. I doubt this is a good idea. Better to have four or six guys* pick it up to move it. Or have six guys lift is as two gals quickly put these critters under each leg. The beeswax is possibly brittle now and only a slight movement will disturb it.

In any case, after the move, use a dough roller over the felt to reset it.

* If this sounds sexist it is not. It is simply being honestly practical.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
LOL I will get pics of this move one way or another.
I had the table recovered two years ago, so hoping whatever they used in the seams is not to brittle yet. My brother and I covered it when we moved in here, 18 years later when I had it recovered pieces of whatever we used were coming out of the joints.

Thanks Franc. I've never seen or heard of a dough roller. Is it like a rolling pin?

Once again, I might be over thinking this and just lifting and moving it a couple times would be the simplest / best solution. :bonk:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
LOL I will get pics of this move one way or another.
I had the table recovered two years ago, so hoping whatever they used in the seams is not to brittle yet. My brother and I covered it when we moved in here, 18 years later when I had it recovered pieces of whatever we used were coming out of the joints.

Thanks Franc. I've never seen or heard of a dough roller. Is it like a rolling pin?

Once again, I might be over thinking this and just lifting and moving it a couple times would be the simplest / best solution. :bonk:

Yeah a rolling pin. Which is a term that actually does not describe the device at all. It is not a pin but a clever device to roll pie dough and also to keep women enslaved in the kitchen. So I don't use the term.

Just remember when lifting that the frame is very strong but not strong enough to resist "torsion," That's why no one ever delivers a good pool table in one piece but erects in on site, at site. So do not lift on one side and then the other or slide it sideways one end at a time. On most good tables, the slate actually floats. It is not secured to the frame.

A case of brew ( twelve per move by six guys) is much cheaper than having the table professionally redone. Get 'em the good stuff. Worth every penny.

BTW Beeswax stays plastic/soft for about 20 years so you are likely ok.

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, those "Magic Movers" or any similar off-brand is what I was referring to.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Update.
The pool table was successfully moved and all worked out perfect.
I ended up getting 4 of the dollys pictured below. They were rated for 1000 pounds each so they held it with no problem. We were able to wheel it from one side of the room to the other when the crew was putting the flooring down and then wheeled it back into place.

Four young guys with good backs lifted each end to set it on the dollys one end at a time. I thought for sure that would break the seal in the slate but it didn't. We set the table back in place and I'm amazed that it is still dead on level. Pics below of it on the dollys and then off the dollys racking the balls for our first game in over a month.

A new pool table light is on order. Will try to remember to share a pic of it once that is in place in a couple weeks.

Attachments

• DollyUsedForPoolTable.jpg
    DollyUsedForPoolTable.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 15
  • PoolTableOnDollys1.jpg
    PoolTableOnDollys1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 15
  • PoolTableInPlace.jpg
    PoolTableInPlace.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 14

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the posts. I have to move a baby grand to put down new carpet.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the posts. I have to move a baby grand to put down new carpet.

I'm delaying this very same job for as long as possible but I suspect it will happen in 2020.

I have the dollies that DOC used to move his pool table, they come in handy. Bought mine at Harbor Freight and/or Tractor Supply? Cheap and they work. But I don't think the wheels are large enough for them to be used on the carpeting when trying to move the lovely Mrs_Bob's (very pretty but unplayed and dust collecting) baby grand piano.

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm putting off this job too! There's no one around with good backs anymore so I used a auto floor jack and a 4x4 covered with a towel to lift it last time.

Astora

You can find a lot of stuff on Amazon or eBay that can help you. Just look for moving accessories or some other related key terms. I only moved once, but it was a pretty big move from me. My husband and I bought a new house in Singapore, and we basically had to move all our furniture to the other place. We also had pretty heavy things that needed to be transported such as our piano. So, we didn’t have other choice then to hire these (deleted by moderator) They helped us so much, so in the end the whole process was pretty easy to us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome our forums. Please do not post any more links until you have 25 or more posts with content replying to another poster. You said you moved to Singapore but your IP shows you are in the Netherlands. Hope you are not another spammer but if you are we know how to deal with those. :banhammer: