• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Colorado Sno Cat Lifestyle Questions and Input Needed

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My family and I are looking to spend a little more time out west. We will be here as full time residents for life but want to spend a few weeks per year out there. We are also thinking we can go out November and December April and extend our season. More often if New England is going to be like this.

The easiest place to get is Denver by air. So we were thinking Breckenridge or Vail Area. Open to opinions. In life we may move it around to other parts of the west.

This video really gets me excited and this is what I want to be able to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBY9DuteI7o

How do these snowparks work in Colorado and other areas? You just buy a pass and off you go?

My dream is to have a Tucker out there but I have some logistical challenges. I would have the cat readied here and ship it out but there are some things I need input on.

How early and late is there snow in these areas?
Where could I store my Tucker securely when not in use?
Are there any people who will perform snocat service?
Are there any people who can haul the Tucker when need to use?
Are there any snocat recovery services for breakdown?
Does anybody rent Tuckers?

Seems like at the snowpark cats are left there? How does that work?

Any thoughts appreciated. Once we exhaust one area we will move to another area. Only key element is need easy airport access.

This could also be a crazy impossible idea for all I know.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
there is a guy who specializes in repair work in the area and Dr Zaugg should be able to hook you up with some one who will do storage at a reasonable price. but out west what you really need is a Thiokol and if you want the chicks hanging around you maybe some rum and a Kristi.

PJL

Bring it out to Washington state. Which you probably remember from 5th grade geography is next to Oregon. (Pronounced Orygun) In Oregon there is a place that builds Tuckers.

I would be happy to store, (hide forever) your Tucker for you. :whistling:

We have a really tall volcano too. Several of them actually. One was taller until it decided to eject several thousand feet of itself into the stratosphere.

Seriously though, come out west. You'll love it no matter where you end up.

And I did find a Tucker today. Just sitting there, by the side of the road. It looked lonely what with the Thiokol/DMC/LMC rigs all over the place. It needs a friend.

The Sweet Wbj1

I would look at the Western slope man. Grand Junction has a nice airport. Montrose does as well and is very close to Ridgeway, Ouray and Telluride. Heading West on I-70 on the weekends is a nightmare. Coming East on I-70 from GJ is no problem. IMO.

If you wound up near Montrose I am sure I could get a Cat stored for you fairly easy.

Just a thought.

BTW, a buddy of mine just tried to make it to our place yesterday and couldn't get there. He made it to his place at approx 9,500' didn't feel comfortable trying to go any higher without another man there to help out (he was with his daughter). This is a pic of him at the main gate we go through to access our place. The gate is 5' to 5.5' tall and sits at about 8,500'.

main%20gate%202-3-16%20-%20Copy_zpsisget6ai.jpg

The Sweet Wbj1

To add to that.... If you look up some of the mountain passes in that Ouray area like Imogene, Engineer, Black Bear, etc, they are some of the top rated trails in the country. I am fairly certain there is a lifetimes worth of snow cattin around there alone. Again, IMO

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty sure Broken Grouser would have some answers as well since I am pretty certain that's the bridge in the video he drives his cat under.

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
I would echo what wbuffetjr1 said: getting to the mountains from Denver is a nightmare; especially on the weekends. It's only gonna get worse. That's why some of us choose to live on the western slope - less people, no traffic, prettier mountains, way more snow. I fly out of Aspen anytime I need to go somewhere, which is about 30 minutes from my town. Plenty of places to snowcat out here with National Forest land and Forest Service roads everywhere. The mountains closer to Denver like breckenridge/vail pass, etc. are more heavily managed due to the high numbers of users. You could still find some great places to play, just don't expect to have it to yourself. As for parking, I sometimes just leave my machine at the trailhead - lots of folks do for the entire winter, same with snowmobiles. There's a certain amount of trust involved with that, though.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The key for us is easy airport access. Getting in and out of Aspen in the winter is a crap shoot although that is where I would want to be but can get there direct. MHT and BOS are both 30 minutes from home so we have plenty outs just a matter of where we can get in.

We often have Thursday to Monday Tuesday situation so a quick in an out is key. This may be picky but JetBlue or Southwest is a must. We have a lifetime of free flights on southwest. Also keep in mind we have a 1 and 5 year old with us.

Many many years later in life like 20 will be a different story. Plan on par time residence out there.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Boston to Denver under 5 hours. We do that for a day trip snowmobiling out there. Easy trip.

KT3survivor

i have to agree with the others. front range is overcrowded and weekend travel is nightmarish at best. western colorado has steeper mountains, equal amounts of snow, way less people and larger expanses of empty public land. just my 2 cents from spending a lifetime in colorado.