• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Astro van cat conversion

Snowy Rivers

Re: An introduction/hello and my project.

I got some time yesterday afternoon and pawed over the goodies I drug home.

Aluminum Edelbrock manifold looks great, as does the one Edelbrock 1403 4bbl carb
The other carb is missing the electric choke, but no worries.

Stuck the cast iron intake on Craigs list to see if it can find a home.

The one HEI distributor looks almost new (Billet machined body) with no dirt and grime inside at all.

Looking forward to getting the Van home, but we have had just crap weather with nearly a foot of snow on the ground since Tuesday and cold cold cold.

The donor van is about 20 miles away, but have been waiting for warmer weather to bring it home.

Ma weather has been very uncooperative with my wishes.

Still in gathering mode now.

Grabbing what I can where I can in the way of materials for the project.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter

cannon------keeps my neighbors on there toes---lol----restoration job for vfw-- cannon got 3 tone winter paint ---looks cool but was a lot of work(taping)---topkick is a 427 gas on propane---topkick is just another toy---gas mileage not important ---but I do have to look good going through town
but with a straight piped turbo diesel you can sound great to

Snowy Rivers

The foot of snow we had has departed now and the wind and rain are here.

Almost tropical outside this morning at 51 F
Start cleaning up after the mess 12 inches of snow makes.

Gutters on the big horse barn over flowed due to ice clogging the drains last night and made a mess in the front aisle way.

Soon it's off to get the Safari van home, likely Saturday.

Looking forward to messing around with things, getting measurements and such for the project.

With parts dribbling in I am getting excited to get moving.

Sadly the excitement is probably premature, as I have not gotten any response on a rear axle or tracks.

But as they say.... "The night is young"

Snowy Rivers

Parts starting to arrive.

The steering master cyl's showed up.

Now I can get after making the floor bracket, custom clevis and the steering levers.

Once this is done it can go on the shelf for later when we get there.

But, I can pop the steering wheel off and do the fitting of the floor mounting bracket and then build the joy sticks so they are comfy to use and such.

I have several folks from short to tall that can lend a hand in trying the various positions of the front seat to get the feel correct.

I seriously want this thing to be comfy to drive.

These cylinders will make the mounting a snap and and machining a suitable clevis (pivot) for the levers very easy.

Just need to scare up the appropriate push rods.

Likely grab some universals and machine to suit.

I like the idea of a hyme joint at the connection of the rod to the clevis.

Will see what shakes.

Thinking about custom bending 3/4" aluminum rod for the joy sticks.
Inserting them into the clevis and securing with a 1/4" through bolt.

With this the sticks can come off easily to allow access under the dash if need be.

I'm pumped.:w00t2:

Attachments

• steer cyl2.JPG
    steer cyl2.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 619
  • steer cyl1.JPG
    steer cyl1.JPG
    307.4 KB · Views: 622

Snowy Rivers

Finally, after several weeks of waiting we went out this morning and picked up the Safari van for the "Franken cat" project.

About a 20 mile trip home with no troubles.

Checked out as much of the on board systems as possible and everything seems to works as it's supposed to.

Glad to have the little prize home.

ONWARD we go.

More snooping to see what great parts for the project we can find.

Attachments

• SAFARIHOME1.JPG
    SAFARIHOME1.JPG
    384.8 KB · Views: 606
  • SAFARIHOME2.JPG
    SAFARIHOME2.JPG
    411.6 KB · Views: 604

Snowy Rivers

Still gathering parts and pieces for the Franken Cat.

Scored a complete S10 frame with an engine and tranny yesterday.

Its a 2WD so the tranny will be perfect for the cat project and the tranny and transfer case from the van can get a new home and return some $$$$$ to the pot.

The front end of the frame has a lovely cross member/engine cradle that is ready made and will be a snap to remove and weld into the cat frame.

I much prefer adapting things that have already been designed to do a job rather than building totally from scratch with new materials (far cheaper too)

The S10 also provided a lovely air cleaner that fits the Edelbrock 4bbl carb thats going on the V6

The left exhaust manifold has the air Preheater shroud as well.

The rear tranny cross member can likely be used (in some form) for it's intended purpose.

The rear axle, front spindles and brakes will likely find their way onto Craig's list for a return of some $$$$$

Be a few days until we get the S10 frame home though as it's coming from a tow company/salvage yard and they are removing the cab and bed prior to selling me the frame, engine and tranny.

Also scored a complete Astro/Safari AWD front knuckle, hub, caliper and rotor cheap.

Going to repurpose this stuff to form a midship mounted drive shaft brake actuated by the standard vans brake pedal/booster set up.

Will take a bit of time at the lathe and mill to get these parts to accept their new duties, but pretty easy stuff...

Still got feelers out for an OC12 DIFFY and a set of 3 foot tracks....

Just gotta be patient.

Snowy Rivers

Thanks.:smile::smile:

Spent a couple hours out fooling with the Safari and just got in.
Installed the replacement coffee cup holder /glove box on the dog house so it does not get broken over the course of the build.

Decided to clean the little beast out while the weather is nice as well.

Drug out the shop air hose, opened all the doors and gave the beast a royal blow down all the way.

In the process I found about $20 worth of decent sockets, pliers and such andf about $1 worth of loose change in and around.

Turned on the stereo and sat there in the drivers seat planning where the steering levers are going to go. ?????????????????

The little vans being a tad awkward to mount and dismount had me a tad worried.

Got a pretty sound idea starting to form.

There needs to be adequate room to access the throttle pedal and the brake pedal and not be a contortionist to do it.

At present it looks like the left turn stick/cylinder assembly can sit right below the left side of the column area (wheel goes bye bye but column stays to keep controls)

The right hand turn stick/cylinder can sit just aft of the dog house cover and the stick can angle towards the driver so it is comfortable to hold onto.

This arrangement will allow ample foot room while getting in and out of the rig. (Relative term when referring to a mini van):unsure:

Pleased to be getting the dead V6 with the S10 chassis, as it will serve well to fit the engine cradle and such.

No worries about having a nice engine around where I'm welding/grinding.

Will get some more pix and info as it happens.

Until I get the diffy and the tracks it's going to be time to mess with the little stuff like the steering cyls/mounts and building the drive shaft brake and such.

Was snooping under the hood this morning too, and contemplating the radiator and fan set up.

Thinking seriously of using and older style radiator, possibly the size used in the mid 60's Ford falcon with the small V8 and adding an electric fan.

The shroud and the fan in the Safari just take up a huge amount of room.

The Falcon radiator is quite ample to cool the V6 GMC

Getting the large shroud gone will open up a ton of room.

Also losing the ABS controller and several other unneeded items will free up more room.

I want the radiator to mount to the cat frame and remain even when the body is rolled back for access to the engine.

Plan currently will fasten the bumper to the cat frame and have the grille easily removable to allow the chassis rollback feature.

Ahhhhh yess...

Lottsa ideas.

One at a time :brows:

Snowy Rivers

Some goodies showed up in the "Widdle brown truck" today :w00t2:

Got the CV shaft I ordered (Used) to scavenge and modify the first joint (Stub that goes through the hub) to create a center drive shaft support/ drive shaft brake.

Looks good outta the box.
Will rip into it soon and get it apart and ready to go in the lathe for some machining.

After giving the Safari a good Mucking out I took a few pix.

This is gonna be a sweet ride once we get rid of the tires and get the beast sitting up on a pair of 36 inch tracks.

Still needs a bit of cleaning inside, but still gonna make one comfy cat.

Had a fella call me a bit ago about a OC12 diffy.

We shall see

Attachments

• Frankencat4.JPG
    Frankencat4.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 539
  • Frankencat3.JPG
    Frankencat3.JPG
    321 KB · Views: 539
  • Frankencat2.JPG
    Frankencat2.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 535
  • Frankencat1.jpg
    Frankencat1.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 538
  • Shaft1.JPG
    Shaft1.JPG
    314.2 KB · Views: 529

Snowy Rivers

Yesterday I got after the CV shaft shown in the earlier piccy.

This stub shaft will become the center shaft of the drive shaft brake, going into the disc brake hub (usual position) except being modified to accept a U JOINT flange yoke.

Took some pix of the stub in the lathe between sessions of worrying off material.

These suckers are very very hard and the carbide tools were taxed a bit.

I machined off the outer edge enough to get a nice area to allow six evenly spaced 3/8" tapped holes to fasten the yoke adapter plate.

Even after chewing off a considerable amount of materials and getting down into the "core" of the part, the material is still harder than a whores heart, likely 40RC

Was thinking about using carbide drill and tap to get the bolt holes in, but decided to take the part to a local heat treat shop and have then pull the hardness back a bunch.

"Annealing" the beast will allow me to use standard drills and taps to get the holes finished.

Will stop by the heat treaters tomorrow and see what they can do as far as $$$$$

The cost of carbide taps is not at all Cheap, so a few bucks to anneal this bad boy is worth every penny.

The hub, rotor and other parts should be here tomorrow.

Glad to be making some chips and doing something other than make sketches and such.

For the application at hand the part does not need to be so ungodly hard.

Here are some pix.

Attachments

• BRAKESHAFT2.JPG
    BRAKESHAFT2.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 503
  • BRAKESHAFT3.JPG
    BRAKESHAFT3.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 500
  • BRAAKESHAFT1.JPG
    BRAAKESHAFT1.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 501

Could you use the steering wheel to steer your cat? Mount the master cylinders horizontal on each side of the steering shaft that has an "arm" that pushed left or right as needed. Keep the power steering pump in place so no arm strong is needed. Just a thought.

Snowy Rivers

I thought about that, but as the bands wear a tad the hand levers can be cycled (like pumping a brake pedal) and with the steering wheel/gearbox it could get real sketchy.

With all things right up to snuff the idea might work sweet.

Sadly though the area where the steering box is located gets cut up a bunch to allow the body to roll fore and aft for service on the engine.

I am going to keep the PS pump as the rig has a hydroboost unit on the brakes.

Will toss the ABS box and the dual master cylinder and swap in a single reservoir type master to serve the new drive shaft brake.

Getting the steering wheel out of the drivers area is really going to make ingress and egress a bunch easier.

We had a 94 Safari a few years ago and getting in and out was always a challenge.

With just the column stock there (tilted up to the limit) really opens the cockpit up a bunch.

Once the body is up on the tracks I am thinking that getting in and out is gonna be an even more interesting maneuver.

Butttttt...

We shall deal with that as it comes

Snowy Rivers

More work done and some long forgotten goodies dug out of a corner will provide pieces that will help.

While looking for something totally unrelated to the Cat project I stumbled onto a front drive shaft that had come from a 94 Suburban 4x4

Hmmmmm.

Turned out to be a really usable piece.

The shaft needed a joint but otherwise was in great shape.

The shaft uses the GM 3R u joints which at this juncture is fine.
This shaft will be perfect to fit from the Center mount disc brake back to the OC12 diffy.

The spline'd stub on the shaft is a 1-3/8" 32 spline (Standard GM style) and I can swap a 1350 series slip yoke onto the shaft in place of the 3R yoke

This will give a 1350 yoke that can carry a 1350 to 1410 joint
So the front of the shaft will carry the 3R with the round flange yoke (shown in piccy) and the rear slip yoke will carry the 1350/1410 adapter joint/ half the joint is 1350 and the other is 1410 (fits the OC12)

A convoluted route to get things all cozy, but a perfect Franken cat plan me thinks.

The forward drive shaft will be 3R at the tranny tail shaft and a 1350 at the front end of the disc brake unit.

Starting to come together.

Getting these things "Imagineered" and all built will really speed things up once the fabricating on the frame and such gets going.

Spent a fair amount of time researching u joints, yokes and flanges this afternoon and this entire plan is looking real good.

Will need a catalog list of all the strange combinations of U JOINTS and parts in the drive line:yum:

But as I have stated before, it is far easier and cheaper to modify and use off the shelf goodies than buy all new.

I gotta wait and see what I get with the S10 frame in the way of shafts and such.

Here are some pix of the shaft

Attachments

• REARSHAFT.JPG
    REARSHAFT.JPG
    344.3 KB · Views: 468
  • REARSHAFT2.JPG
    REARSHAFT2.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:

Snowy Rivers

Dropped the stub shaft off at the heat treat shop and they are going to anneal the bowl area back far enough that I can drill and tap the thing

$150 charge, but far cheaper than custom carbide tooling
Will be way cool to get that piece finished.

PJL

At the rate you're moving you will be cattin before spring.

Snowy Rivers

That is a lovely thought.

Sadly I have yet to score a rear cat diffy and tracks.

Once I score those items we're off to the Rodeo big time.

Building the main frame requires a couple things to be able to get started...

(1) An original Thiokol main frame blue print for the 1200 series (No luck yet) OR....
(2) A rear axle and tracks to be able to set the locations for the rear end, center axles and get the overall frame length correct for the track length.

The plan is to use the junk engine from the S10 we scored to jig the engine location in the frame, as well as locate the tranny rear cross member and then of course the drive shaft brake unit and drive shafts.

Buttttttttttttttttttt, until those two biggies are scored things are gonna be slow.

Getting the little tedious items like the drive line brake and the steering cylinder brackets/levers and such can be done now while there is excess daylight to burn. :brows::brows:

Fabricating the bulk of the frame can be done in a few days, at least to the point of getting the rear diffy located and mounted and the center axles and forward adjustable axle.

Getting the Safari Body atop the frame will be a bit tricky as I do not have a crane to lift it.

Will need to crib the body up, locate and add the mounting/rolling brackets and then carefully roll the body onto the cat frame.

I don't intend on tearing the van apart until the cat chassis is nearing completion.

The van is currently running and we are using it to run up and down the hill to the horse barn/stable.

Moving the thing a lot keeps the mice confused and they don't get a chance to find it and move in.

Also running it in the bad weather keeps the cabin dry and stops mold.

We are at 1250 ft elevation and when there is a weather system in we are in the clouds and soup.

Leave a rig sit very long and it turns green, the rodents move in and so does the mold.

Sadly I don't have shop space big enough to accommodate the cat.

Gotta build it out side in front of the shop door on the slab.

Once the frame is fabricated it can get some paint and be fine under a tarp until the next fair weather.

Speed on this project is gonna depend mostly on finding the goodies.

Last edited:

Snowy Rivers

More goodies showed up today.

The brake caliper, rotor, hub, knuckle all got here this afternoon.

Weather is a tad cold to be fooling with stuff so it will be a few days until I can get more than a casual look at the stuff.

The first look see is good though.
Rotor looks great, as does the caliper and even the pads are in great shape.

The hub bearing is a tad loose, but that can be replaced a long ways down the line during final assembly.

The knuckle is very nice looking piece as well.

Got a call this afternoon and the S10 frame, engine and tranny are ready for me to pick up in a day or two.

Weather is gonna be crappy for a few, so will defer until things improve.

Guy sent me a piccy of it with the engine wrapped in a baggy to keep it from filling with water.

Still hoping to score a diffy and tracks.

Patience, patience, patience:mrgreen:

It's been great reading of your project. May be able to dig up my as-built from my 67 1200A. Need to sort thru a few hard drives in the safe. When located, what version of AutoCad or a PDF with measurements? Worst case I can as-built again in a few days. Please send PM with email.

Snowy Rivers

A quicky update.

The heat treat shop called up and said that my stub shaft is done and ready to be picked up.

A big THANK YOU TO WANNAGOFLYING for some much needed help in the Frame blue print Department.

An email I sent out netted what appears to be a good possibility of a set of 3 foot tracks.

They are currently in a safe place under a lot of Snow :brows:

No real hurry at present, but I am excited at the possibility of getting this part of the equation nailed down.

Next comes a good diffy.

No replies as yet on an OC12, but even a good C4 will get things to giddyupgo.

The old Spryte I drove years ago was equipped with the C4 i would say, as it had a 4 speed transaxle.

The C4 is not my first choice, but if treated right they can handle what I need.

The Franken Cat is not going to be equipped with a groomer or a blade and with an auto tranny the C4 should be fine.

But no hurries to jump, and lottsa time to snoop.

WE are getting ready for what could be either an 18" snow dump or a very cold soaking rain.
Weather folks are as yet unsure.

We shall see

Snowy Rivers

Been giving some thoughts to using a tried and true concept when it comes to this build.

"Mock up"

Thinking about gathering up some heavy lumber (4x12) and tossing together a very rudimentary frame that I can fit the Flexiride units, tires, wheels and tracks on and then set the track Overall width at 102" and get a really good look at things.

Mock ups were used for years and years to check ideas before anything was "chiseled in stone"

Wood and cardboard are very cheap and can be hacked together quickly to gain a lot of valuable data.

Any really ugly problems can possibly be avoided as well.

Since this build is a total "Franken Cat" with nearly nothing in common with a tried and true design that's already been built, it seems reasonable to do a mock up and see what shakes.

Steel is expensive and once a frame is welded together it gets real ugly when you need to hack things apart and change it.

The wooden mock up will allow location of all the bogie wheels as well as dummy up the drive sprockets on a round post (literally) across the rear.

Once the tracks are positioned I can really get a feel for how much actual room will be available for placement of the engine and tranny.

It might seem like a lot of extra work, but I do believe a lot of good info can be gleaned from this approach.

The frame is actually fairly small (Relative term) and the lumber needed should not cost much.

The actual Flexiride half axles can be lag bolted onto the wooden structure and will be secure enough for getting real time measurements.

Unlike so many builds that are done, this one is a true "Roll your own.

The only components this cat will share with its most distant cousin (Thiokol 1200 spryte) will be the rear diffy and the tracks.

Once we get past the point of the tracks and the diffy things really skew off into the very ethereal zones of "imagineering"

In other words, as we used to say back in my younger days (teens) as a musician, ahhhh, "Hum a few bars and I will fake the rest" :yum:

Once the real frame is constructed out of steel tubing (Likely 3 x 3 x 1/4) then the fun is really going to start when the Safari body gets to go on :unsure:

Got the all ahead go on the S10 frame.
Going to pick it up tomorrow.

Here is a current piccy of the S10 frame as delivered.

4.3 V6 and 700R4 tranny, fuel tank, exhaust system, rear axle, front spindles and brakes.

Looks like some of those goodies can be resold to recoup some of the $$$$

I plan to use the 700R gearbox as it is a 2WD type and other than doing an overhaul (seals, clutches, band and a few upgrades) will not need any hard parts changed to go right into the cat.

Having this complete power pack along with the engine cradle is going to be a real help.

I am thinking that the entire cat frame can be completed or nearly so without tearing the van apart.

Once its nearing completion the Dead engine can come out, the tranny freshened and then the Safari body can be coaxed onto the frame.

In the mean time the van can be driven some to keep the rodents at bay.

A little ditty for y'all.

WAY UP IN THE STICKS WHERE THE BLIZZARDS HOWL, ON A COLD DARK NIGHT THE FRANKEN CAT PROWL'S

Dreaming too much, I know :brows:

Attachments

• 1990 S10 FRAME.jpg
    1990 S10 FRAME.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 495

PJL

If you are gonna build a cat out of wood and cardboard why not just get a Kristi?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

If you are gonna build a cat out of wood and cardboard why not just get a Kristi?
come on pete, we all know the cardboard is the life size girls.

Snowy Rivers

C'mon guys, I just opened the page while getting my first cup of coffee going and have coffee coming out my nose.

ROFLMAO :yum:

Seriously though

Back in my days in machinery building we used to do quite a bit of mock up's

We did not have the elegant cad/cam goodies "Still don't" :ermm:

Yes, I am seriously thinking about doing a very simple wood mockup of the sub frame that will allow me to mount the tracks and such, and then sit the engine and tranny package in to get a really good visual on things.

With the plan to use the 4.3 GM V6 there does exist the the real possibility that things are going to be TIGHT.

This is the main reason I am going to extend the width out to 102"

The inline 6 cyl engine are taller, buttttttttt narrower than the V6... Exactly how much room I am gonna have to deal with past the exhaust manifolds is still a big ??????.

Maybe some block hugging headers ????

If things are a tad tight the height of the package my be able to be raised some.

I want to keep the engine as much lower than stock in the DOG HOUSE area as possible to allow easy access to things.

For anyone who has not had the MIS fortune of wrenching on an Astro or Safari, well the words used are not acceptable here most likely.

I want things like plug wires. plugs and such to be easily accessible without needing a left handed spastic squirrel monkey to get them.

The plan is to have the body such that it can roll backwards about 4 feet to gain complete access if major work is needed, but for minor repairs it needs to be accessible.

Got the cardboard girls in the corner, ahhhh, they are about all the fans I'm gonna have watching.:brows:

PJL

In my experience with the cardboard girls they get wet and mushy in the snow.

You do have a cool project brewing and I enjoy reading the updates.

Snowy Rivers

Thanks for the thumbs up.

Plastic laminated girls are the deal.

No mushiness :yum:

Snowy Rivers

Got out yesterday and dragged home the S10 CHASSIS

Almost drowned doing it though.
Pouring down rain by the bucket load.

Only saving grace was the yard folks sat the chassis on my trailer with a big fork lift.

Got it all home safe and sound.

The rain let up a bit late in the afternoon and I got a chance to look things over a bit.

Several items that are readily salable and with any luck will bring back what I paid for the entire chassis.

The entire engine and accessories is there as is the 2wd 700R tranny.

The complete exhaust system is there too, and will likely serve well as a good starting point to build from.

Nice cross member for the rear of the transmission that can easily be used in the cat.

Decided on a Flowmaster single to dual muffler as they make the V6 sound nice and will easily fit right into the cat chassis.

Too wet to get a good look at the engine cradle, but from what I can see it will be a very easy adaptation into the cat frame.

Far easier than building all new from scratch.

There may be a few other goodies, but mostly I wanted the 2wd style tranny to save having to scare up an output shaft and tail housing.

I can part out the Van tranny and t case as a unit and likely recoup some good $$$$

Wanted the factory engine cradle, exhaust manifolds (has stove for carb heat)
Exhaust crossover and exhaust brackets.

Attachments

• S10 LOADUP1.JPG
    S10 LOADUP1.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 422
  • S10 LOADUP2.JPG
    S10 LOADUP2.JPG
    437.7 KB · Views: 435
  • S10 LOADUP3.JPG
    S10 LOADUP3.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 421

Robyn.. here you go with a little more than wood and cardboard. Sketch what you need and route it back as I'll add it for you. Looks like your cardboard mock up is not going to last in the northwest rain.:w00t2: The front bogie is on a slide tube and I do not have the exact travel run out. The width is to axle face as I've not measured my offset on rims. I'd get the torch out and start hacking that S-10.

Attachments

• 1967 Spryte 1200A Sub Frame.jpg
    1967 Spryte 1200A Sub Frame.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 429
  • 1967 Spryte 1200A Sub Frame.pdf
    11.4 KB · Views: 137

Snowy Rivers

Interesting little morsel

The Thiokol manual says that the track width center/center on the axles is 61"

Is yours wider for ????

Summer time is coming and the cardboard girls are plastic coated:yum:

As soon as the rain lets up some I will start yarding goodies off the S10

I want to market as much of the leftovers that I can right quick and recycle the $$$$

I have had bites already on some stuff.

If the luck holds I may get my parts and the $$$$ back in the pocket to use again. :brows:

Weather is supposed to clear off in a few days and I may be able to get after things.

REALLY SUCKS RIGHT NOW.

Thanks for posting the drawing up here