• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Installing tile: Shower Walls + Bath Surround

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sore yet.

Today was day 1 of a 4 day(?) project helping my Godson's dad remodel his bathroom.

We are doing a shower that is 38" deep, by 48" wide. Plus we are doing a raised base around a soaker tub, and a 3 wall surround. Its been about a decade since I've messed with any of this type of tile work but I found my old wet saw, floats, etc.

His wife chose 12" x 24" rectangular tiles. Heavy, thick, and hard to cut. Using my tile saw with a new blade its going as quickly as possible. We did the lay out today and set a couple courses. There will be some decorative glass tile bands wrapping the areas too, just to add some visual contrast.

I did manage to talk his wife down off the ledge of changing out the plumbing fixtures. She could have done that before I started this, but no way I want to mess with that now!

His brother is visiting from out of town, he has some experience so he was very helpful to have around today. We start back up again tomorrow, again the 3 of us. Then the rest of the project will just be me & my friend, hopefully my friend will gain enough experience today/tomorrow so that he will be able to cut tile by himself the last couple days while I measure and set the tiles.

And hopefully I won't be sore when I wake up tomorrow morning :mellow:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
You have my sympathies.

No, really. I am in the middle of such a project myself.

We just laid the floor with 13"X13" tiles and 6.50" tiles in a two course pattern. Subway tiles are going on the enclosure walls with 2X2 porcelain in setbacks in the walls. The tiles are the easy part. grouting is the back buster.

This was a to the studs rip out and expansion of the room from a 6'x9' to a 9'X10' master bath. All new pipes and fixtures. Whirlpool tub and a borrow light from the bedroom bath. I have been at it for two months now.

We should be complete by mid January.

So when I say I can relate, I really, really, really, can.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Both of you gentlemen have my sympathies. 5-years ago, after a full master bath remodel and I mean right down to the studs, I informed my wife that that was the last major job I was going to do around the house. I won't go in to all the details but I was absolutely exhausted by the time it was all over. Now she tells me she wants the the whole house painted next year and the kitchen remodeled. Anybody know a good painter and cabinet maker??????

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Both of you gentlemen have my sympathies. 5-years ago, after a full master bath remodel and I mean right down to the studs, I informed my wife that that was the last major job I was going to do around the house. I won't go in to all the details but I was absolutely exhausted by the time it was all over. Now she tells me she wants the the whole house painted next year and the kitchen remodeled. Anybody know a good painter and cabinet maker??????

I absolutely hate everything about painting a house. You have my sympathies.
:sad:

I also hate forking over 3 grand to have someone do it improperly. And they all do. Just slap it on. So next year that happens.

I do it.

OR

I go ahead and do Hardy Board siding.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Been toying with the idea of a complete bath remodel down to studs in our master bathroom. Then I pour a bourbon and realize how dumb of an idea that is. But of all the rooms in our home, the master bath is one I really dislike.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn, I am in pain now!

Bath surround and base are done. Shower is mostly done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 36

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I feel for you Bob.

Last time Mrs. Zoom wanted a tile job, I told her she has to help. It was around this time of year (temps in the 20's) when she wanted a new tile backsplash with all the amenities for the kitchen. I taught her how to run the wet saw and how to accurately cut the tile. I stayed inside and measured/marked tile then sent the tile outside for her to cut. When she brought them back while wearing a frozen apron, she realized what it takes. She hasn't asked for any tile since.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I taught my friend how to cut tile today, then I was sending him down the stairs, outside, to do the cutting. I measured, and I installed, he was cutting. Still I'm sore as hell. 2 bourbons (double my normal limit) and I'm still sore.

The plan is for me to finish up the tile in the shower tomorrow after I get him started with grouting. He has no clue. He should have no problem getting the whole bathtub area grouted and cleaned up under my supervision while I do the final stuff on the shower, and also do an inlay in the floor in front of the shower. Then I will be done on Tuesday.

He can then finish the grouting of the shower by himself on Wednesday and then return all the tools when he is completely done ... he also has my compound mitre saw to finish some trim work around his doors.

So with any luck, I'm done early afternoon tomorrow.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I taught my friend how to cut tile today, then I was sending him down the stairs, outside, to do the cutting. I measured, and I installed, he was cutting. Still I'm sore as hell. 2 bourbons (double my normal limit) and I'm still sore.

The plan is for me to finish up the tile in the shower tomorrow after I get him started with grouting. He has no clue. He should have no problem getting the whole bathtub area grouted and cleaned up under my supervision while I do the final stuff on the shower, and also do an inlay in the floor in front of the shower. Then I will be done on Tuesday.

He can then finish the grouting of the shower by himself on Wednesday and then return all the tools when he is completely done ... he also has my compound mitre saw to finish some trim work around his doors.

So with any luck, I'm done early afternoon tomorrow.

Those are nice big tiles. Not so much grouting and fewer cuts. But it looks real nice.

My wife has decided to use 2X2 tiles for about 1/2 of the tub surround and subway tiles 2X4 for the rest. Lots of bling trim too. A sort of Sistine Chapel project. It will come to 21 Lbs(dry) of grout.

What brand of Bourbon would you suggest to get this accomplished?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Like Franc, I'm also impressed. Those are nice big tiles so the grouting shouldn't be too bad. That'll be a good looking job when finished.

Franc, I don't think that the brand is important in your particular case. Go for alcohol content and/or quantity. :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup those big tiles minimize cuts but they are heavy and we have to screw brace boards up to support the weight. We were going to add some accent glass tile strips in the bath to match the shower but decided to leave them out because the field of large tiles looked good.
Like Franc, I'm also impressed. Those are nice big tiles so the grouting shouldn't be too bad. That'll be a good looking job when finished.

Franc, I don't think that the brand is important in your particular case. Go for alcohol content and/or quantity.
:yum:

Franc, I agree with Frank, go for a 'cask strength' bourbon. 'Bookers' is a good choice, grat bold flavors, about 130 proo (varies by batch) but still smooth and mellow enough to drink neat. If you need something more, (try to) find a bottle of GEORGE T. STAGG, that will get the pink elephants dancing on your ceiling :biggrin:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bath is done, and grouted. Looks good. Very happy with it. Personally I would have chosen a darker grout, but I don't have to live with it.

Photo is obviously before the grout was all cleaned up. I didn't take a finished job photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 16

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Shower is still not done. We had issues with the durarock wallboard not being properly secured, flexing, etc.

This picture was taken at lunch break. Its now finished all the way up, 1.5 courses above what is in the photo. And I got it down another 2 courses below what is in the photo. But there is another course and 1/2 left to go. As it is, I am probably done??? My friend and his brother hope to finish tonight. I hope they do. Then my friend can grout tomorrow. If they don't finish I told him to call me and I'd go back on New Years day to finish the tile install, in any case he is doing the grout & clean up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 18

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn Bob. You're good. Did the whole job with towels still on the towel rack.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
But I'm sore. Whole body hurts today. Slept 10 hours last night. Age sucks.