• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Chirstmas tree complaint

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A Jewish Rabbi complained about a Christmas Tree displayed in a Seattle Airport (I think it was Seattle), he said they should also have a Jewish symbol (which I can't remember the name of) in the same display. The Jewish symbol should be of appropriate size like the huge Christmas tree they had displayed. The Rabbi when on to say he would bring a law suit against the Airport if they did not comply.
Guess what the airport decided? The took down the Christmas tree. They could not comply with the Rabbi's request, and didn't want to deal with the law suit. Who can blame them the way the courts are these days. So now the Rabbi is outraged. That was not his desired intent.
I tried to find a new link to the story but could not find it.

So, what do you think? Did they do the right thing ..or what should they have done, in your opinion?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The only thing they should have did was remove any religious connotatation. Anyone, anywhere should be able to put a tree up with lights and ornaments!!!!!

I sickens me that some people just take please by being a pain in the ass and our courts support it.................:mad:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Big Dog said:
The only thing they should have did was remove any religious connotatation. Anyone, anywhere should be able to put a tree up with lights and ornaments!!!!!

I always thought the tree was a religious connotation. You would have to take all of the ornaments off to make it any less but to me it still would be a religious connotation.

As far as the Rabbi, he should have been told that there is cabs out front of the airport, he should take one of them to his destination since there is no room in them for a tree.

murph

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WTF happen to freedom of speech? If it wasn't the rabbi it would have been some atheist or muslim or buddist or scientoligist.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
The only thing good about this is that I see that it paves the way for a Japanese citizen (or any immigrant who does not speak English, or Spanish) to file suit in California, and all other states, requiring them to take down all signs in Spanish because there are not other signs in Japanese or Mandarin. His, the dipshit rabbi's, complaint was that we were catering to Christians because they are the majority here and would not put up an 8' tall minora (sp?). I have to assume that Mexicans represent the largest group of immigrants here so we cater to them by putting up signs, and press 2 for Spanish on phone calls, and no signs in other languages.

Why cannot the ACLU and other raging liberal attorneys see that putting up signs in Spanish is a HUGE problem. It certainly comes across as if the United States only cares about Spanish speaking immigrants and not any others. If we are going to take down Christmas trees, have to say "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas" etc., we must remove all these damn signs in Spanish. If that doesn't favor one particular group of immigrants over another, I don't know what does!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree Dargo. Why can't they make English the offical language of our country. Period. I do not understand the reasoning for not making this a law.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A related article

"English test for airport employees doesn't fly"

Basically, for airport employees, it's learn English or you're fired.

The airport would offer a free 48-week course to learn English. If, at the end, you don't pass, you loose your job.

They backed off the program since it could be considered as "potentially racist".

Grrrrrr.:mad:

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
My basic problem with this stuff is that I grew up taught that the USA is based upon the rule of the majority while protecting the rights of the minority. Assuming that we are still a mostly christian country ( including the majority of new immigrants ), I see this as the minority shutting the hell up and letting the majority celebrate and live the way they want instead of getting perverse pleasure out of ruining other peoples celebrations. Now at the same time any minority that wants to celebrate or express thier hollidays or views should be allowed to. As far as the argument of how far do we go in allowing unusual or new things, there are plenty of laws on the books to prevent things from going too far. A good example is the Wiccans wanting thier symbol on veterans tombstones in national cemetaries. It was taken through the process, It took over a year and was finally approved. I think any fly by night outfit trying to get publicity would not go through the time and expense to get a law changed. A nice thing would be to have judges with common sense and throwing out frivolous law suits, and lawyers being made to pay for filing them, but that may be asking too much.

Please feel free to punch holes in my theory. It is a subject close to my heart and I'd like to know other people's opinions.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
RoadKing said:
Please feel free to punch holes in my theory. It is a subject close to my heart and I'd like to know other people's opinions.

No punching of holes here. I agree with you 100%

Dutch-NJ

Jews can erect a Menorah anywhere they want as far as I’m concerned.

Although I am Christian, I often join with my Jewish friends in their celebration of Hanukkah.

However, let us not forget Christmas is a LEGAL Federal Holiday.

Separation of Church and State? That concept has been bootstrapped into our society. The same atheists also are quick to remind us of their “God given rights.” Sorry, they shouldn’t be allowed to have it both ways.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Why shouldn't they erect a Menorah? After all, Christmas is the celebration of Jesus's birth, and as you know, Jesus was born a Jew.:respect:

PS.... the person that started this thread needs to learn how to use the spell checker built into the software. :hide:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
junk said:
PS.... the person that started this thread needs to learn how to use the spell checker built into the software.
The person that posted the above PS must be a gatorboy wannbe. :hide:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
thcri said:
Speaking of spelling

Is not "But" in this case suppose to be Butt???

That is one of those spelling errors that spell check will not fix for you, since both are valid words. Common sense comes into play, since many words sound the same but are spelled different.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Doc said:
That is one of those spelling errors that spell check will not fix for you, since both are valid words. Common sense comes into play, since many words sound the same but are spelled different.

Your right Doc, spell check will not pick that one up. I just thought I should hit Junk back.:yankchain:

murph

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I live in a 'foreign' country, Wales - I am English. I accept that the first language in this area is Welsh, and the signs here are bilingual, Welsh first then English. I knew this when I came to live here and I accept it, if I couldn't accept it, then I shouldn't have moved here! The same applies to everyone. Isn't there an expression "when in Rome, do as the Romans do".

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, check this out holiday trees back. It appears as if the trees are back, but they are referred to as "holiday trees" and not Christmas trees. Gees!

I do not feel that there is anything wrong with people believing in their own traditions when they come to, or are already citizens of, the United States. Where I have a problem is when we have to alter our way of life and change our own traditions to accomodate others. I rather strongly feel that legal immigration is wonderful, but I have an extreme opposition to new immigrants forcing me to change my way of life. If an immigrant wants to come here, they damn well better be willing to accept our way of doing things. If they can't, it's simple; don't come!

I've mentioned this before about the U.S. having to be bi-lingual with Spanish. Were I to decide to move to China, I wouldn't expect the Chinese to change everything there to English for me. I would work as hard as possible to learn Chinese. If I didn't, I would have no chance to thrive there. I actually would have no business going there if I was not willing to accept their culture and learn their language. Who would I be to tell them that they need to change their ways for me? I can't put into words how strongly I feel about the harm done to Mexican immigrants by allowing them to never learn English. I can't believe that they don't see that they will never fit in, never succeed, and never become a true U.S. citizen without being able to speak English. If the immigrants cannot accept this, perhaps they should reconsider their choice of coming to America. The same with a Christmas tree. If that offends you, don't come here. If you are already here and it offends you, leave. It's not like Christmas trees are some new way to flaunt Christian beliefs and values. They have been a part of the U.S. tradition for quite a while now.

Ok, I'm done now...:tiphat:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
The only way this sh*t is goin to stop is when our court system stops these stupid cases from even getting to court. As long as there is courts that will listen we will continue to have these problems. As far as I am concerned the airport caved in. It should have been, "This is United States of America, this is our right to have a Christmas Tree and we are not going to start honoring all makes of life's belief's.

murph

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The airport board is meeting tonight and just might decide to put it back up. A little late after all the coverage they got for taking it down ...but I would love to see them take a stand like you mentioned Murph! :thumb:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Isn't the issue primarily because it is in a public place? Otherwise anyone could go to a Synagogue and demand that they put up a Chrismas tree; etc..

Dutch-NJ

Doc said:
Isn't the issue primarily because it is in a public place?
That used to be the primary issue. However, recently, private businesses have replaced "Christmas" symbols with secular symbols, and have forbid the mentioning of the word "Christmas" by employees (so much for Freedom of Speech).

The FACTs are:

December 25 is a LEGAL national holiday.

The LAW defines that day as "CHRISTMAS" day.

Christmas celebrates the Nativity of Jesus Christ.

Christmas it is a public holiday in many countries, including almost everywhere in the Americas, most European nations, the Philippines and most of Oceania, some African countries, the Commonwealth of Nations, and various other places.

Secular aspects of this holiday include giving gifts and decorating a Christmas tree.

I don't know any worker who doesn't want "Christmas" day off with pay.
I don't know any retail business that declines to make money from Christmas.

Doc said:
Otherwise anyone could go to a Synagogue and demand that they put up a Chrismas tree; etc..

Anyone can demand a Synagogue put up a Christmas tree. That doesn't mean a Synagogue would have to do it.

Interestingly, I know at least one Synagogue that actually puts up a Christmas tree.

Members claim it is so their Jewish children are not deprived of the joy of our national holiday, and so Jewish children can be taught that although Christmas is celebrated, it is not the belief of their faith.

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
All the Whos down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot, but the Grinch, who lived just north of Whoville, did not. The Grinch hated Christmas - the whole Christmas season. Oh, please don't ask why, no one quite knows the reason. It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight. Or maybe his head wasn't screwed on just right!!
It came without ribbons! It came without tags! It came without packages, boxes, or bags!
He puzzled and puzzled till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more!

dzalphakilo

Banned
Had a meeting in Baltimore with a marketing department. Seems that a customer in a rural area of Kuntucky had a billboard put up that had a picture of the the Nativity with an add of "Merry Christmas".

The company in question was denied marketing funds because of the religious contents.

We were told that the add was offensive to both Muslims and Jewish people, thus could not be approved.

Dutch-NJ

dzalphakilo said:
Had a meeting in Baltimore with a marketing department. Seems that a customer in a rural area of Kuntucky had a billboard put up that had a picture of the the Nativity with an add of "Merry Christmas".

The company in question was denied marketing funds because of the religious contents.

We were told that the add was offensive to both Muslims and Jewish people, thus could not be approved.

Then the Christmas holiday should be abolished.

Until then, the dissenters should be told to shut the f... up.

Why isn't Christmas replaced by Festivus? Maybe the marketing departments don't want to loose the Christmas profits. They are Christmas whores. We Christians are fools for suffering those Christmas whores.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Help me out here. Christamas was the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, not? Yes, Jesus was born a Jew but most Jewish people did not believe in the birth of Jesus Christ other than he was a good person. They did not believe that is was Jesus that came to save our souls.

murph

dzalphakilo

Banned
Dutch-NJ said:
Then the Christmas holiday should be abolished.

Until then, the dissenters should be told to shut the f... up.

Actually, I raised my hand to ask a question when the above (per my previous post) was told to us.

I asked "how many Jewish and Muslim people in rural Kentucky actually complained about the billboard?" (the laughter was deafening after that question).

It was explained to me that the amount of complaints were irrelevant.