• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Does cold wet weather affect you ??

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
As you get older ? I just hit 60 and can hardly get around in this cold climate anymore .
Of course a very rough life of playing football did not help . Either did the shoulder I torn up moving cattle or the hip I think I broke hunting a few years ago that now causes me to walk with a limp . The semi plow truck that drove over me was the pits as it broke my back and crushed a few vertabres . Did I mention the virus that attacked my heart and cause me to lose half of its use now ? Or the fact that I have degenerating arthritis and two old gunshot wounds
Other than that I like it here , but this cold weather really gets to me .
I can hardly wait for warm weather to start feeling better .

I am just not a Palm Springs type dude and I can't see myself climbing on a airplane to go to warmer climate .

I did buy a peddle bike to start riding when the snow melts and the tread mill is coming up here to the house so I can start getting some excerise inside .

getting old sure is a pain ......:unsure:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like you were rode hard and put up wet. Nope, getting old sure isn't for the weak or cowards. It takes courage and stamina to look pain and suffering straight in the eyes and say "Fuck Off."

Hang in there. It's going to get worse as we age, so enjoy the good days when you have them.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I sure don't have your history, and at nearly 10 years younger cold weather has little to no effect. But I sure could use more exercise this time of year. I kinda count on some snow play and work, but none of that needed so far this year once again...

It the 100 deg and above heat that makes me most uncomfortable.

Regards, Kirk

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm 66 closing on 67 and I'm starting to feel my years. 32 yrs on portable rock crushers took it's toll on me. I try not to let it slow me down. A good friend has the best saying I've heard for old age: "what don't hurt, don't work". So I figure there must be a lot of me still workin', LOL!!
Mike

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Hell, I'm only 36 and can feel it in my ankle and shoulder when the weather is cold. I can predict the weather better then any weather station out there. I tore my shoulder all to hell when I hit the pavement at the age of 17 riding my streetbike on the highway. I did my ankle back in 2006 when I worked in the mill and a 14000 forklift with solid rubber tires tried climbing the back of my ankle with its rear tires as it turned. My toes touched my shinbone without breaking a single bone in my ankle. Some days in the winter I can barely walk on it.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've got Rheumatoid arthritis that was diagnosed when I was 24 years old. Broke my right wrist. Jacked up my knees skiing too many times to count. No, the weather does not seem to affect me, not even the joints that are wrecked.

EDIT: I should point out that I do get sore achy joints when I stress them, and things like shoveling snow paths for the dogs will leave me with sore hands, wrists, arms and shoulders. But that is from the activity, not from the temperature. I've never noticed high humidity in the summer affecting my joints either. Oh, humidity will make me miserable, but not sore and achy.​

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
All the cold does is make me grumpy. the cold means less daylight that really affects me with my vision going south.

Kane

I've got Rheumatoid arthritis that was diagnosed when I was 24 years old. Broke my right wrist. Jacked up my knees skiing too many times to count. No, the weather does not seem to affect me, not even the joints that are wrecked.

EDIT: I should point out that I do get sore achy joints when I stress them, and things like shoveling snow paths for the dogs will leave me with sore hands, wrists, arms and shoulders. But that is from the activity, not from the temperature. I've never noticed high humidity in the summer affecting my joints either. Oh, humidity will make me miserable, but not sore and achy.
Exactly. After 40 years in the construction biz, learned long ago that:

Heat is misery. Cold is pain.

Can't imagine why anyone would want to live above the 31st parallel.

Last edited:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
As you get older ? I just hit 60 and can hardly get around in this cold climate anymore .
Of course a very rough life of playing football did not help . Either did the shoulder I torn up moving cattle or the hip I think I broke hunting a few years ago that now causes me to walk with a limp . The semi plow truck that drove over me was the pits as it broke my back and crushed a few vertabres . Did I mention the virus that attacked my heart and cause me to lose half of its use now ? Or the fact that I have degenerating arthritis and two old gunshot wounds
Other than that I like it here , but this cold weather really gets to me .
I can hardly wait for warm weather to start feeling better .

I am just not a Palm Springs type dude and I can't see myself climbing on a airplane to go to warmer climate .

I did buy a peddle bike to start riding when the snow melts and the tread mill is coming up here to the house so I can start getting some excerise inside .

getting old sure is a pain ......:unsure:
I went back to see if this was posted in the "jokes" forum cuz I don't know if you're serious or kidding! But if you're serious and you've been shot twice and are still around, my guess is that cold doesn't stand a chance...

On the other hand, maybe you're just being a whinny little bitch... :wink:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i thrive on cold & snow. (frozen pipes & iced-over pavement aside- then i swear loudly & often enough that i could consider that to be lung exercise). my previously injured feet ache, namely, i've recently noticed, during rain as opposed to snow. i soak my not yet-old lady joints @ a nearby pool/recreation place & exercise 'em.
i won't allow weather to inhibit me.

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Does cold wet weather affect you ??

no! The work to defeat the cold wet weather makes you ache though!:yum::yum:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Al,

Been living in the sub zero climate all my life, and I can tell you that getting up and getting moving when the temps are sub zero, like -40 and colder. That isn't wind chill either, just dead cold.

It never use to bother me going outside at just any temps, but now my circulation clearly isn't what it use to be and I find myself getting numb where I didn't before.

I don't like really hot weather either, so I am kinda leaning to a place that is kind of in the middle like Southeast Alaska, but maybe the Kenai area, winters are mostly above zero on the colder days, and about 70 on the warmer days of summer. Living on a boat would be really great, but that isn't really practical either.

Good luck though!:biggrin:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I went back to see if this was posted in the "jokes" forum cuz I don't know if you're serious or kidding! But if you're serious and you've been shot twice and are still around, my guess is that cold doesn't stand a chance...

On the other hand, maybe you're just being a whinny little bitch... :wink:

Nope , I was serious . I been a little rough on the old body and now it is starting to complain .

I always was a whinny little bitch:w00t2: . That seemed to have started after the 2nd gunshot incident .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
That's strange as I feel my best in very hot humid weather . I can actually move a lot better .
The wife never understood when I was paving in construction and running the paving machine . The asphalt would hit the box at 375-390 degrees and the sweat would pour off me as the heat hit me as I worked on the operators runway about 18" away , but there were few things I enjoyed more than that .

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
It has been mostly cold since my knee surgeries in November and December, and my knees actually feel a lot better when
I'm doing stuff outside. Minus 5 degrees didn't feel this good when I was younger. Weird how this stuff works.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Cold doesn't really bother me much. I have found it is easier to get warm when it's cold than to cool off when it is hot. Even as I age, cold hasn't been an issue.

But the wife suffers terribly with her arthritis's. Even since here twenties. It is one of the reasons we left Chicago.

Getting old will likely become problem in this regard. All the bones I have damaged or broken over time will remind me. I presume I will get there eventually. But I live by a cowboy rule on that, " ...don't get old if you can help it, You'll live to regret it."