• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

To Understand a Tax on Mexican Imports, Consider the Avocado

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't like avocados, heroine, cocaine or marijuana. Guess I'm not going to worry much about about the tariffs.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Does anyone know if an avocado tree will grow in the northern climates or will I need to build a hot house?

I'm sure it will grow in Arizona. https://s17-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin...Mural.jpg&sp=2e3e220c587b2fc268711545f936edd0

Maybe I will buy one.
Check that out. It shows cold hardy ones. It automatically shows the Zone you are in.
They reportedly can withstand temperatures down to 18F. In colder states, you can bring them in for the winter where they will continue to grow and produce fruit. Just place them near a sunny window and they'll become your favorite houseplant.
Here is another link:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think it might be wise for Trump to consider an exemption for grown in Mexico produce. It would throw them a bone to consider Trump not so hard to live with. The Tax I feel should be levied on goods that American Companies are building in Mexico and bringing here for sale.

But the devil is in the details I suppose. For instance the leather from Mexico is mostly from the USA. The tanning industry here was decimated by the EPA, as I recall.. So the Tax should cover leather returning from animals grown in the USA.. But to tax their "home grown" products seems punitive to me.

But what do I know. :ermm:

Regards, Kirk

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Food prices have doubled under Obama - where was the outcry over that? Fuck tecate, tequila, and guac - I can live without it.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
The best (IMO) avocados are grown in Southern California, where the branches are grafted onto a hardwood tree.

Sooooooo, unless California exits the U.S. , tax the hell out of the Mexican ones.

Bamby

People what it all comes due it's down to me or you simply because the end consumer has nobody to forward the costs too. Any and all taxes are ultimately consumer taxes.

Want to tax business carry on consumers will eat it. Tax anybody and everybody you want but ultimately the taxes will be extracted from the lower populous of society simply because they aren't in any position pass it on down. :hammer:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't like avocados, heroine, cocaine or marijuana. Guess I'm not going to worry much about about the tariffs.

Exactly. I make no secret of my disdain for anything from Mexico. I do not like Avocodos, see I can't even spell those little green turds, let alone spend my money on them. Guacamole looks like vomit. Never drink Tequila, that stuff is dog shit. May as well save money and drink diesel fuel, that stuff is only $2.60 a gallon here now.

But, this is a good a time as any to confess. I love Taco Bell. Their steak and bean burrito is fast food nirvana. Hold the green shit. :yum::yum:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
You guys are pissing me of about you comments on tequila.

But ya know what, if I have to pay for the wall I don't fucking care. Build it thick, build it tall, build it deep.
I don't care what of costs me.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Well I certainly do not give a rat's ass in hell for beaner booze. I don't give a rat's ass for anything from Mexico.

So I have to agree with who cares who has to pay for the wall. Build it and keep them em out.

Sorry for being so un PC but you know me by now and I don't think anyone here is going to lose any sleep over it anyway. :yum:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
President Bush the elder had a hand in decimating the tomato farmers in Florida. No one cared.

Florida Oranges, Lettuce, Spinach, Strawberries all suffered from Nafta, the EPA and DC policies.

But we had the San Joaquin Californian valley. However, we also had to save the Delta smelt.

So Mexico and Argentina produce farmers got a boom.

20% tariff on Mexican produce means Argentina and Chile gets a bigger market share or/and Americans will have to grow their own food. Why is that a problem?

And, while were are at it, question;;; why do we need more college educated folks to pick peaches?

BTW, the best grapes in the world come from the western slopes of Chile'. And really good Avocadoes come from Guatemala.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
People what it all comes due it's down to me or you simply because the end consumer has nobody to forward the costs too. Any and all taxes are ultimately consumer taxes.

Want to tax business carry on consumers will eat it. Tax anybody and everybody you want but ultimately the taxes will be extracted from the lower populous of society simply because they aren't in any position pass it on down. :hammer:
If they hammer out a deal properly there will be numerous exceptions.

ultimately the taxes will be extracted from the lower populous of society
That assumes that they continue to consume that product.
I doubt that companies pass on the savings of Mexican production. They may have to cut their profit margin to keep consumers.
Somethings people have to have. A new car (made in Mexico) isn't one of them. Neither is tequila.

Since there is no tariff (tax) a company could build a facility just across the border. They would then have cheap labor. They would then bring that (cheaply produced) product back here.
I doubt that much of the savings would be passed to the consumer.
Instead it would be kept as profit.
With a tariff some companies no doubt would continue to have operations in Mexico.
Their products would have a tariff on them.
That would be an incentive to produce things here, where they create jobs, instead of in Mexico.
The product might then be more expensive. But if the product was to expensive people might just not buy it.

Last edited:

rugerman

Forget the price of avocados! How much are you paying to provide all those illegals with health care, welfare, schooling, cost of fighting their gangs, lost wages for Americans, lost money in taxes that they do not pay, lost dollars that they send back to Mexico. Not to mention the money that you lose if you get in a wreck with one of them due to no insurance. If California wants to be the protector of illegals send them all of them from the rest of the USA, I'm sure all those Hollywood types will be glad to take in several each, along with all those unveted folks from the Middle East .