• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snowtrac steering safety for the st-25

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Between the children, and such, one of my fears with the trac is someone attempting to steer with the track not moving. Which appears to be a way to fracture the st-25.

So, has anyone thought about, or tried, a safety on the system? I was thinking a ball detent torque limiter on the wheel mount. Set just tight enough for normal operations. It would seem that there should be an increase in resistance before the st-25 pops and that window could be used for a safety. Or is there no appreciable increase in wheel torque required to break it when the tracks aren't moving?

Trying to preserve the unobtainium.
CT

Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I lock the back door.

removable steering wheel couple(r) is where I am headed...

What about a quick disconnect coupler and remove the steering wheel when not in use?

They're popular now and inexpensive. Also, could make it easier to get in and out of the drivers seat.

Jay

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm also concerned with inexperienced operators. Something passive, I don't have to do anything to enable.

That part's pretty tricky. It's got to be a mechanical thing that disengages upon movement.

Maybe an electric solenoid that engages a locking pin somewhere in the steering mechanism when the rig is sitting still. Have it retract electrically once a switch of some sort detects motion. Like a microswitch with a friction trigger that drags on the drive sprocket or something. That would be pretty trick.

Maybe some operator training would be much less effort.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a spare ST 25.

If there is interest, maybe we should get a mold made, and cast up a bunch for every one who would like one.

Make the unobtanium. :smile:

Redsqwrl? :flowers:

Regards, Kirk

willd

I am very interested in a spare ST 25. If someone could get the measurements, I imagine one could be either cast up, or fabricated. I would be willing to put up some coin for a prototype.

nikos

ST4 The Bracket,:brows::brows: ........................:hammer::hammer::hammer:..................................................................................................................:hammer::hammer::hammer..
:to be continued

Nikos

nwerring

I am very interested in a spare ST 25. If someone could get the measurements, I imagine one could be either cast up, or fabricated. I would be willing to put up some coin for a prototype.

I could get the ST-25 3D-scanned into a CAD file. Maybe it would be good enough to make a pattern for a new ST25.. I just did this for the ST-52 drive sprocket to make UHMW plastic sprockets for my Snow Trac.

Attachments

• ST52 Drive Sprocket.jpg
    ST52 Drive Sprocket.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 245

nwerring

I just contacted an Aluminium Foundry here in Norway regarding making 30-50 new ST-25 steering brackets. I´ll post the answer when I get it.

Attachments

• IMG_0994.jpg
    IMG_0994.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 244

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Push comes to shove, you could make a st-25 out of plate fairly easily, It would be a time hog to be certain, but do-able. Cast parts were the cheap way to make many of a complex thing.

I'm still thinking a ball detent clutch, but getting it set is going to be a chore in it's self. I want the clutch as it would be a way to protect the whole system.

CT

teledawg

If a new ST-25 design is being conceived maybe a shear-pin or ball-detent could be integrated into a hinged ST-25 so the part would yeild in a non destructive way. Sort of like a shear-pin on an outboard motor prop. May be worth considering...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a new unused ST25 I would make available here in the lower 48 for a pattern. If some one has a foundry that they know of...

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a new unused ST25 I would make available here in the lower 48 for a pattern. If some one has a foundry that they know of...

Regards, Kirk
lyndon had many made. I would bet yours is one.
I also have a spare but it nos.

I really don't see a need to have a steering lock. it has a spring in the variator and very few have been broke.

Snowy Rivers

The large sprocket could be easily cut with a WATER JET CUTTER

UHMW (ULTRA HIGH MOLECULAR WEIGH...POLYETHELENE) can be cut readily with water jet

Do an accurate tracing of an original that's in good shape and any good shop with a water jet can duplicate it easily.

Far better than a casting.

I assume by the look of it that it's aluminum ???

Cut it from 7075 T6

Water jet cut parts look like they were machined.

The steering bracket could be easily roughed out of a piece of aluminum plate in a band saw and the holes located and drilled. (Or water jet cut them)

Cast aluminum is inherently weak (Relative term) and a "Billet" part of either 6061 or 7075 alloy would be far stronger.

Casting such parts are done for mass production to keep the broad spectrum costs $$$$$ down as machining individual items gets spendy.

Butttttttttttttttttttt.... For personal use and durability the billet part can't be beat.

Aluminum that is "sand cast" is or can be very grainy in the metal texture and thus causes the tendency to fracture.

Aluminum that is "investment cast" (process done under inert gas shielding) spendy too.

Water jet the ST25 from good alloy (7075 T6) and you will not break it.

Actually the part could be fabricated from steel and be a simple fix.

Just some thoughts

Last edited:

Snowy Rivers

I just watched a video on how the steering works.

I would fabricate the part from steel pieces.

The variable sheave design is so simple.

The best prevention of breakage is education though.

Without the sheaves turning the stress is gonna be high on the parts no matter what you make the part from.

Upgrade the ST25 and then something else is gonna break.

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
One of mine is bronze
I looked into having a run of 10 made think we came up to pretty close to 400 bucks a shot with the machining and the pattern made
I lost interest at that price

nwerring

First hurdle is over. Got a nice 3D scan of the ST-25 part. Now of to the foundry with the scan and model so they can make new parts..

Attachments

• IMG_4642.jpg
    IMG_4642.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4643.jpg
    IMG_4643.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4644.jpg
    IMG_4644.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 105