• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1963 443-A "Katy"...Restore

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
After seeing what the crew at Tucker had done on the 1955 443 I called up Clyde and Jeff at Tucker and asked if they would be interested in taking on another vintage project. I am happy to say they were. We made arrangements and I brought her out from Colorado this week to start the makeover. That Tucker is now taking on this kind of work is IMHO a bonus for us vintage owners looking to keep our cats viable and reliable. There are somethings I had neither the expertise or equipment necessary to handle some of the issues my cat had so I will keep you all posted with pictures on how it is going. These guys are great to work with. Very nice to meet members of the Tucker family,tour the museum and yes,drink the kook-aid!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 771
Last edited:

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Me neither..to see the history and meet the folks behind it all was worth the trip alone. Got to see "Rock and Roll", tour the shops and meet a lot of the folks involved in building these machines. Sounds like they are looking hard at starting to build some parts for these older machines if it can be shown there is a demand...

The '53 443 they have is pretty nice too..just waiting for some one to buy it and decide how to fix it up. Another Air Force cat like mine.

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
More pictures. They had the machine apart in no time at all. Can anyone tell me how to post multiple pictures. The process is eluding me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 740

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am no computer greek but what I do is browse a photo and then click on the next box down, browse again for multiple photos. After I get three or four photos entered, then click on the upload and wait for them to show as uploaded files. I click to send below the Managed attachments section.

Last edited:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just keep putting the links below each other. then sometimes the FF General Info & Problems at the very bottom of the forum helps. but it is kind of unorganized for wanting help.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
At the rate Sno-Cat is going you should be able to drive Katy up Mt. Hood May 5-8 at the Cat's Meow II. It is right on the way back to CO.

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
My thoughts exactly! I've uploaded multiple images into the que but it will only transfer one it a time. Could be the iPad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 737

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is great! Tucker revival tour.

Congrats on your project keep the pics coming. Would love to see some replacement parts. axles, grousers, links, rollers, rails even toons, tables. Seems like the track parts availability is what causes the death of many of these older rigs.

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
From what I was told they are seriously considering replacement parts. The problem is they got rid of a lot of the tooling way back when. They may have to make a few track pin backing plTes for mine. Some seriously wallowed ones on my tracks. All I can say is if they see the demand it will much more of a possibility. Write them ,call them let them know you pull support that effort on their part. It's not cheap to re-tool

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Wow...moving right along. Just goes to show what happens when you can get the owner to stop helping!:). I hardly wait to jump back in my truck and drive some more! Literally just walked in the door.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Tom,

I had to go to the Holy Land today and check out the progress on Katy the Kitty. She is looking good!

Attachments

• DSCN2955.jpg
    DSCN2955.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 662
  • DSCN2956.jpg
    DSCN2956.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 661

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the extra guy must be the one who took the picture.
they got to is fast. was it a slow time of year?
jim

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the extra pictures..yes the front and rear recievers are for a winch. The rear is also going to double as additional rear step that can be taken off for an additional step or tow hook.
Tucker is open to more of this kind of rehab work. They have come to the conclusion that there are those of us that want this kind of support for their older machines. I would start sending them your list of needs as far as parts go and check into them doing work on your machines as well. They did have some free time that fit into my schedule so the timing was perfect but I believe they would do this kind of work year round if there is the need. Call them up and check it out.
When they get that '53 sold that will make 3 this year so far(mine included).
This excites me to know that there is support for these old machines coming from the factory..something we have all hoped for. Take advantage of it.

I will post a list of the things that are going to be done on mine in another post.

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Here is my list:
1) fix everything mechanically that needs to be taken care of;
Engine has leaks in the oil pan,mechanical fuel pump and rear main seal
Exhaust manifold needs to be replaced
Rehab radiator
New wiring, new hydraulic hose, new heater hoses
Restore old gauges
Interior lights
New auxiliary lights
GPS with rear view camera
New interior
Rhino line the floor
New paint
Rehab the right front pontoon..needs partial top plate repair
New axle seals
Replace rollers and track parts as needed..I had a fair amount of track parts.
Rehab hinges as needed
New glass and hopefully framed window inserts in the doors and rear windows(I know it's not strictly vintage but functionally a better solution) if possible
Raise the steering wheel height and go to smaller wheel for easier in/out for us full figured guys

That's it for now

Last edited:

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinking that Jason or Rick were having too much fun on this chore. Reminds of the day I had six teeth pulled at one time..

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Good question..but I don't think so. I don't think it will go up either. So can any one tell me the difference between my 443-A and a 443-L?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
443 should have 3/4 rollers and the castings are not as thick on the tables.

The A model has 1" rollers and if you compare the turn tables they look the same but are thicker. Should also have some extra leaf springs.

I think the L is cast into the tables but not sure the designation on which models. 443 to 443A weight difference is 600lbs or so more due to the extra materials .

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
So now I'm getting excited! They sent more pics today which I asked Clyde and Marcus to post because I suck at it..the good news is she goes to paint tomorrow!! Then waiting on a few hard to find parts like the exhaust manifold for the long block 251. If any of you have one hit me up I am a buyer!!

Looks like she's going to come in on budget and ahead of schedule. I can hardly wait!!

BTW..they told they have received 3 calls from some vintage Tucker guys...they like it...keep it up its working

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Who's cat is that in the other room where the '53 was staying? Looks nice.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a nice V8 model with some freshly restored toons/tracks/rollers. More Tucker Salvation!

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The BEST thing in those pictures?? This, with two old tech rigs being wrenched on. :clap:

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 359
Last edited: