• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Check your trailer battery...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The one to activate the brakes if trailer gets disconnected.

Mine was 6 years old. After leaving on a charger overnight, it couldn't even reach 2 volts.

For safety sake, check and replace if needed. They're only $15.

We had a nasty accident in the area a few months back. The trailer disconnected but brakes didn't activate. Killed most of a family including several kids when the trailer hit them.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the post. I just bought a used trailer and was wondering about the battery since the previous owner had it in storage for most of a year (or so he claims).

What kind of charger did you use? I haven't even cracked the case on it so I don't even know what sort of battery they use. I'm a newbie when it comes to trailer's with brakes.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
What kind of charger did you use? I haven't even cracked the case on it so I don't even know what sort of battery they use.
I used a .5 amp charger (Battery Tender). You don't want to use anything much larger.

The battery is pretty small. Most are about the size of a brick or smaller.

cj7

Good reminder!

It is funny because I was just talking to a fellow employee about that very system a few minutes ago.

Another thing is to test the system to make sure that the brakes do indeed lock when the pin is pulled from the switch. I had a switch go bad from age once. Also hook that switch cable to something other than a hook on the chain. I was told that was a 'no-no'.

My local battery guy sells a kit with the battery, charger, case, and switch for about $30.00. Cheap insurance against a ticket or worse yet an accident.

Make sure your lights work everytime too!

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
cj7 said:
Good reminder!

.......... Also hook that switch cable to something other than a hook on the chain. I was told that was a 'no-no'.
The person that told you that knows nothing nothing..

cj7

Well that is interesting.. I have heard that from more than one person.

and doesn't make sense to attach it to a different spot...

lets say you have it attached to the hook wich is attached to the hitch .... and for some reason (unlikely) but you have a hook fail when loaded....

the cable never pulls tight to pull the pin..???

I know that is unlikely but.... just saying...it could happen..

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Better yet....... hook it to the frame of the car in case the trailer hitch fails and falls off with the trailer and safety chains still attached to it. :thumb:

cj7

I think at that point it is a pretty bad situation!!!.... LOL

but that pin would still pull and help the trailer do some wild things I suppose...!